PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Guys

CC Rider
12-09-2009, 04:52 AM
This is a question for those of you who might have corporate full time gig such as myself:
Do you have to constantly nag SME or stakeholders of a project for content or input? Or are do you enjoy a pretty steady stream of projects to keep you busy?
Just finished my yearly review (with a supervisor who knows nothing about what I do...as is the case with the rest of the office) and we had a lengthy debate regarding project ownership and who should be "driving the bus"
My role is to tell their story, should I have to nag/beg people to allow me to finish their project?

Feeling a little trapped in the corporate world at the moment, just wondering what some of you guys experience...is this normal/common?

Chris S. (Fez)
12-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Better trapped in the corporate world then in a cardboard box being "true to your art".

I am not sure this advice is particular useful or applies to your situation but:

If possible take your projects through the marketing person/department and let them push the company for more content/feedback. Be exceptionally generous about sharing credit/kudos and your colleagues will likely be excited to contribute the next time you need them...

For colleagues who refuse to contribute content, I recommend taking a camera to the next Christmas/New Year's office party and "documenting" everything.

CC Rider
12-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks Chris, not really looking for advice on how to proceed as much as wondering what others in the corporate world have to contend with day to day.

:D

Soth
12-09-2009, 06:25 AM
For colleagues who refuse to contribute content, I recommend taking a camera to the next Christmas/New Year's office party and "documenting" everything.

But looks like thys year corporate world will have to live without Christmas paries... :(

...at least here where I work.

radams
12-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Hi Chris,

This is common actually...even though you're creating something they want or need for communications, sales, marketing, products, etc.

They always think that you do it with a push of a button...and have no clue as to what you need, how long it takes, or anything about it...

It's just magic when ever they say they need it.

Even when they need to give you photo's, elements, information, realistic timelines, etc...you get little to nothing...and again you pull a rabbit out of the hat...but you are pushed, frustrated, have to hound and argue with the same people who you are trying to help, get things done.

Then they in turn complain to their bosses, why are you bothering them, when you should just get it done...and why wasn't it done yesterday, etc.

Does this sound familiar? ;)

Well, part of this is your fault actually....you need to help educate them, while still keeping the magic and mystery...help put into place with your boss some helpful processes (contracts, etc.) that helps keep everyone accountable and happy, etc.

Even if your boss has no clue...work with them to manage the process.
Never give all your secrets...or let them know completely what it takes to go from A to Z...first of all they don't care...and second it will be over their heads...they just need to know that it is more involved and that putting into place these processes will benefit them..and help them get their materials done better for their needs and done faster.

I've got some experience in the matter ;)
And it isn't just the corporate world dealing with this...same goes for broadcast, web, and even to some extent the feature world as well.

You need to learn to manage it, put in processes and accountability.
They will still never get it...or even care...but then you'll have a better way to provide the service with less frustration...and happier in-house clients :)

Cheers,

radams
12-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi again Chris,

Is your company hiring?
Need any freelancers ?

Cheers,

CC Rider
12-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks Ray, that's really what I was wondering...I actually outlined a complete "production process" last year which explained everyone's roles etc. but since noone else has anything like "video production" in their job titles, my requests seem to always take the back burner or get ignored.
Which I'm okay with until I'm held accountable for a project that is held up by elements that I feel are out of my control.
I never get complaints and we have never missed a deadline, my supervisor just felt like I could do more to manage the process. Maybe it's true...just out of my nature to be overly aggressive about things like this.
It does help to know that its not an unusual situation.

I would be all too happy if they hired some help for me, but not much of that happening around this year...just like everywhere else I suppose.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi again Chris,

Is your company hiring?
Need any freelancers ?

Cheers,

Hey Ray.

Am I correct in assuming this query is directed at CC Rider...who is also Chris?

radams
12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Hi Chris,

All of this is so very common.

I worked for a national corporation, doing some design, marketing, etc.

With my background, the owner of the company pulled me aside and would use me as like their inhouse ad agency on special projects, for presentations, trade shows, marketing, etc...that were no part of my original duties...

I had to create a multitude of materials, products, and formats.
Most of it was a nightmare...as to getting the information and materials...
At one point they wanted sales video done...for a major presentation.
I was given one and a half weeks to do 5 location shoots (around the US), edit and make any changes...I got everything together in two days...pulled in some favors...then they pulled the plug just before I was to get on a plane....then a couple days later....3 days to the presentation...they now wanted a Power Point presentation...actually it needed to be more of a motions graphics presentation...I stayed up two days...and had to take many of the photos myself...cause no one supplied me with the needed materials.

I was also coordinating this presentation.

I pulled it all off...and we got the contract for several million $$ even though this customer had serious reservations of doing business with my company...we were able to show and persuade them what they would get...and the accountablity we would give them.

But do you think I got any recognition for it? Not that much...but the CEO of the other company..and all their contractors at the meeting stated that they were so impressed...and that this had been the best presentation they had ever seen....that made me happy, even if my company didn't acknowledge it.

I would also be taken off design projects to the frustration of my supervisor by the owner of the company to make corporate marketing posters...or create an ad, etc...most of the photos I got to work with were HORRIBLE!!!!

I had to go into photoshop and take a half a day or more just trying to create something usable. I then was able to take my own photos...train some others to take photos...and at times get some other pros as subs to take photos for us. But none of this was easy...and the owner didn't care what it took...and even if it was cool (though he did love it)...he just needed it done...and he knew I would give him even more than he asked...and that it would be cool :)

As I stated before...this also happens in broadcast, web, commercial production, etc....

You have to develop processes and contracts just like everything else in business...this is to be able to get things done for you and your clients...with the accountability for everyone.

I'm used to working on multiple projects at once...and if one gets put on hold...it is listed a) that it is...b) the reason why....if you don't have materials to complete it then it gets put on hold...and the needed parties will be notified via emails and phone calls (always follow up a phone call with an email going over what was discussed and agreed upon...this helps when the **** hits ;)...

Like with many companies...sales and others don't like being held accountable...even if they say they do....

Most sales, and Dept. heads...etc...think of themselves as the main reason this company is there...and for the profits, etc...your just a supporting role..and one that has little importance to them...except when they need something :). I don't mean to sound harsh...but that is reality. Just like for broadcasters...it's the GM, sales, producer, reporter, etc. who are the ones making the money, and you are just a supporting role...(they don't have a clue what it takes to do anything).

And like for most companies, broadcasters, etc...if you are inhouse...then they don't see you as professional...if they purchase out of house services...then those are professional...it's a huge snub...but another part of reality...if you're inhouse...you will never be looked at as professional...the one who knows...etc. Only outside contractors are.

Cheers,

radams
12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Hey Ray.

Am I correct in assuming this query is directed at CC Rider...who is also Chris?

Yes, but I'm looking for work at the moment...do you have anything going on?
All of my other posts were directed at C.C. Rider.

Cheers,

CC Rider
12-09-2009, 08:18 AM
That's too funny...everything you described is essentially what I go through here. Thanks.
Good to know I'm not alone in this...

OnlineRender
12-09-2009, 08:28 AM
but since noone else has anything like "video production" in their job titles, .

If you have the FOX Channel , have a look out for the Edinburgh Fringe , I was camera man for 3 days , nice work was my old college teacher that got me the gig .

5 days to schedule / shoot / lighting rig / ChromaKey / Edit / Produce ...and for free "now that's what I call a nightmare " but 1 favour in hand can be a great advantage

I still have wads of stuff from college "might be 3-4 years outdated but the production methods are pretty much standard ." .

I'll dig them off my external and post some stuff .

--Radams I know exactly how you feel getting the floor ripped away from you at the last momement ...

You'll bounce back !

radams
12-09-2009, 08:43 AM
If you have the FOX Channel , have a look out for the Edinburgh Fringe , I was camera man for 3 days , nice work was my old college teacher that got me the gig .

5 days to schedule / shoot / lighting rig / ChromaKey / Edit / Produce ...and for free "now that's what I call a nightmare " but 1 favour in hand can be a great advantage

I still have wads of stuff from college "might be 3-4 years outdated but the production methods are pretty much standard ." .

I'll dig them off my external and post some stuff .

--Radams I know exactly how you feel getting the floor ripped away from you at the last momement ...

You'll bounce back !

Hi there Online Render :)

I was just recounting some of things that go on at times...that plug was pulled a bit ago...and there was nothing to get over...it just was...so nothing to bounce back from...infact that contract was completed a year or more ago...so it's been bit...

At the moment...I'm looking for work, fulltime, freelance, etc.
You've seen a tiny bit of my talents on those photo restorations you needed.

Just a word of caution, per your comments about doing someone a favor...
Giving a favor to someone doesn't mean they will do a favor for you later...
Doing work for free...and expecting them to drop a paying gig into your lap later...is rare rather than normal...

I would suggest pricing out that gift of time and skills...and take that off your taxes as unpaid work related...then at least you might get some thing out of it :).

There are too many producers out there who would love you to work for free or very little...promising that they'll give you larger paid projects in the future...

That is just pie in the sky....if they need and want it...they will pay for it!
Then if you show what you can do...and it blows them away...then they will come back to you...but you're still making $$...and so are they.
And just know they will ALWAYS shop it around to make a better deal!

Cheers,

CC Rider
12-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree...working for free in order to build a reputation only gives you a reputation as a guy who will work for free.

At least you'll have something for your reel though...

Shnoze Shmon
12-09-2009, 08:53 AM
@ radams

I don't know if you realize it, but you just made a huge case for freelancing with some form of the term "consultant" in your business title.

OnlineRender
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Ye I understand what your saying but the client was my daughter nursery so hopefully they will look after here well :) ,on that note we have decided to send Lara to an all speaking galic primary school "call me a snob :D " , main reason being there primary 1 schedule is brilliant , they get to make a film for the first simester .