PDA

View Full Version : should be final question on zbrush and LW

lreyes
12-09-2009, 02:45 AM
So what I gathered, Zbrush is only and modeling and paint program and not an animation program, if I am correct and I make a model in zbrush can I bring ito lw and animate it with bones and stuff?

OnlineRender
12-09-2009, 02:53 AM
yes you can take it into LW easily bones dynimacs ,ZBrush exports obj so you can effectivley do anything , but you can also create morphs in ZB !

Personaly I need to take my Zbrush model at sub level 2 or 3 just to get normal and displacments maps to work correctly with LW , this may not be the case for most , but I feel alot of detail gets lost.

lreyes
12-09-2009, 02:57 AM
how does morphs play in Z brush? So what your saying is that you can do animation with morphs and make an AVI clip. I want to be able to save a morph in avi or mov files so I can edit it in Adobe premiere.

cresshead
12-09-2009, 05:32 AM
to really find more out on zbrush you'd be better off asking over at their websites.

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/01_UI/

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/index.php

OnlineRender
12-09-2009, 11:47 AM
sorry dude got side tracked , pretty much what cress said , download the demo , mess around and you will get to grips with what it can do pretty fast ,theres tones of demos / tuts .

morphs with Zbrush ........in short hand .........model in ZB , by default I model the base mesh in LW just to keep the poly flow nice and simple, inturn i can take it back into Layout without things going crazy ,ie inverted polyz !, but with Zsphere you don't need to worry about that too much ... just a matter of drawing your basic shape then addiptive skin .........

"cresshead will correct me if im wrong" :p

you then for example set your base mesh similar to LW morphs , you then reshape your mesh to whatever for example a human emotion . and save it out ........

But since Andrew3DC post here , I would also suggest having a gander at 3DC , Javis Jones will help you out in that department

Hope my Dyslixic post helps LOL

Peace

lreyes
12-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the helpful posts. I am getting a book from amazon on Zbrush to start me off. I eat and dream 3-D animation, I am just a novice but a old one, I am 72 years old and still like to do that stuff.

geothefaust
12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks for all the helpful posts. I am getting a book from amazon on Zbrush to start me off. I eat and dream 3-D animation, I am just a novice but a old one, I am 72 years old and still like to do that stuff.

Right on! That's great to see you're still active with it. :thumbsup: How long have you been doing animation anyway? Do you have anything you can show? I am very curious! I really like hand drawn animation quite a bit, and am still learning to do it. There is so much more freedom with what you can do compared to 3D animation, IMHO.

Have you also checked out 3D-Coat? It's a great addition to a toolset for content creation, ZB and 3DC really compliment each other well.

IMI
12-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Personaly I need to take my Zbrush model at sub level 2 or 3 just to get normal and displacments maps to work correctly with LW , this may not be the case for most , but I feel alot of detail gets lost.

Actually, that is the case for most, or at least it should be. If you're exporting a 3,000 polygon model and trying to get 8,000,000 poly's worth of detail into it via displacement and normal maps, it ain't gonna happen the way you want, no matter how many rendering SubD levels you set in Layout.
Best bet is to always use the highest resolution mesh out of Zbrush that you can get away with, and it's better to UV Map it at that resolution as well, for best results.
Ideally, you want your working mesh in LW to be as close as possible to the shape and detail as the high res version in ZB. And it's not at all defeating the purpose to use a 50,000 polygon model to capture the detail of a 20,000,000 polygon model.

Of course if you're making your models and maps for a game engine you have to settle for a lot less than that.

EDIT-
The above pertains mostly to displacement maps, which actually perturb the surface geometry, but normal maps are far more forgiving and versatile for at least giving a good illusion of high res geometry even in a very low res mesh. But even with only normal maps it's still a good idea to use the highest res version as possible, particularly if your object has alot of surface features that will be seen in profile and not just head on.
That's not just a LW thing, that applies to all 3D programs.

Shnoze Shmon
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
So to sum up basically what Zbrush advantage is in one sentence.

It allows you to texture at a fraction of the polygons otherwise needed, thereby saving loads of render time.

Correct?

IMI
12-10-2009, 08:42 AM
So to sum up basically what Zbrush advantage is in one sentence.

It allows you to texture at a fraction of the polygons otherwise needed, thereby saving loads of render time.

Correct?

Pretty much yes, but it has many other advantages beyond just detailing through normal maps and displacement maps. You can also use Polypaint to make texture maps as well.
Plus Zspheres in Zbrush are awesome and quick for organic modeling, although you need to retopologize a Zsphere-made model if you intend on rigging an using it in another 3D app, since the Zbrush-made topology isn't so good for the most part. ZB also has retopolgy tools for that purpose.

That's for use with other apps, but ZB on its own is also a hugely excellent overall 3D program. It has many major limitations, yes, but many people use ZBrush on its own and create outstanding art.