PDA

View Full Version : Even More Klondike Bear, Using Lightwave and Sasquatch!

Rowsby
09-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Yet another CG and Live Action Commercial Featuring the Sassy Ice Cream Eating Bear!

See the latest spot at:

http://www.rowsby.com/Anim_KL_Slimaball.html

My thanks to everyone I worked with at Bent Image Lab! I miss Portland already!

Rowsby
09-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Here ya go...

Noclar7
09-02-2003, 10:05 PM
the king of beasts, excellent once again.

Rowsby, you really should give me a rough critic on the cat model Im working on,
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9532&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
I'm in the sasquatch stages right now and could use some pointes on the ears and tail.. trying to get the Sleekness maps to work...

BTW, my buddys been eatin klodikes again since i showed him that ad.. but I cant stop thinking about the mockery they make of klondike bars on the family guy:
What would you do for a klondike bar?
Whouldja jump on one foot?
Whouldja chew bubblegun and scratch your head?
whouldja, whouldja... kill a man???

adrian
09-03-2003, 12:55 AM
Wow - awesome work!

Adrian.

hrgiger
09-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Is he related to the polar bears that drink coke?

Good work.

Kuzey
09-03-2003, 06:38 PM
I love these!!!

:D

Kuzey

js33
09-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Rowsby,

Great work as usual. How did you do the bear reflections in the mirror. I assume you are comping in the bear to the preshot video/film so did you just render him from the opposite camera angle and comp it in the with the video as well? Or did you set up a mirror in Lightwave and do it in the same render pass?

Cheers,
JS

korn_kid
09-04-2003, 12:22 AM
that ad was awsome.
great job man!

facial deluxe
09-04-2003, 12:38 AM
The compositing is so great, lighting match 100 %

Phil
09-04-2003, 04:19 AM
Hmmm. Is it just me or is the bear's shadow not showing up in the mirror? It does look very impressive though :)

Rowsby
09-04-2003, 11:47 AM
You are correct. The shadow pass from the mirror *IS* missing. One was created, but for whatever reason, the fellow doing the FLAME work, never included it in the final. :(

SAS dosen't do reflections, so a cheat involving nulls, inverted geometry and offset camera motion, was devised to help create these background elements. Christian Smith from Texas (DNA, Jimmy Neutron, etc.) was instrumental for coming up with the methodology for the mirror passes. I hope this limitation with SAS can be eliminated in some future version of the software.

Though not technically perfect, I feel the bear's personality outshines the flaws on both spots for the average viewer. It's sometimes difficult to work with a low budget project and have to let things go for the sake of the producer and the schedule. But I appreciate everyone's kind words regarding the final versions now airing.

One of the best things about working at Bent Image Lab, was their interest in the phychology of why a character moves in a scene. This performance based heratage from Will Vinton's, is one of their main strengths, and I leaned a lot while I was freelancing there.

As the software evolves I hope that there is another chance to improve upon what was done before, so I eagerly look forward to what NewTek does with Lightwave 8.

hrgiger
09-04-2003, 01:49 PM
I finally saw this commerical on TV last night. Pretty cool.

Phil
09-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Rowsby
SAS dosen't do reflections, so a cheat involving nulls, inverted geometry and offset camera motion, was devised to help create these background elements. Christian Smith from Texas (DNA, Jimmy Neutron, etc.) was instrumental for coming up with the methodology for the mirror passes. I hope this limitation with SAS can be eliminated in some future version of the software.
to what NewTek does with Lightwave 8.

Is this workaround documented anywhere? This 'flaw' in SAS is one of the reasons I haven't really gone ahead and licensed it because it seemed like an awful lot of work to try and bodge reflections. If it is documented, I'd love to find out about it so I can revisit Sasquatch (although I had heard that SAS2 was going to address this issue, I'd also heard the same for SAS1.5).

Rowsby
09-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Not that I'm aware of, but Christian should write a tutorial on it. :)

Since SAS isn't a volumetric class plugin, I don't think of its inability to trace reflections as a flaw. Granted, its a pain to work around, but it is possible. As for what SAS 2.0 brings, only time will tell.

mav3rick
09-05-2003, 06:07 AM
rowsby after i saw this 2nd commercial i feel i must comment somethin:)
it is awsome......... now please tell me how come this 2nd commercial is like animated from different person lighted from diferent person ... composited from different person or it was developed longer than 1st commercial what i want to say i like 2nd one 200 % more than 1st one.... in 1st one some real strange things happenin ...... so i vote for 2nd one IT RAWKZ it OWNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Phil
09-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Rowsby
Not that I'm aware of, but Christian should write a tutorial on it. :)

Since SAS isn't a volumetric class plugin, I don't think of its inability to trace reflections as a flaw. Granted, its a pain to work around, but it is possible. As for what SAS 2.0 brings, only time will tell.

Would you or he be prepared to provide an overview of the technique? I'm honestly very intrigued by this as it would mean my current project would get much easier if I could bring in SAS on it.

Any chance you might be able to persuade him or do a quick review of the technique yourself? :)

WilliamVaughan
09-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Awesome work....Please send in some of you stuff to LW gallery...would love to have some of your work showcased there.

Rowsby
06-25-2005, 07:10 AM
The final, and probably the funniest of all the Klondike Bear Ads is now online!

Take a look at:

http://www.rowsby.com/Anim_KL_Treadmills.html

..for the final version of the commercial.

And here, near the bottom of the page:

http://www.rowsby.com/Anim_KL_Treadmills.html

... for production notes on the "Treadmills" piece. Read why Milk is evil!