PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

Skinner3D
12-08-2009, 11:55 AM
My next project is going to be the Hound from Farenheit 451, as a friend of mine would like to see it modeled.
Just like with my Grevious project I need some serious help with the reference pics. Unfortunately, this time there are NO pictures on the internet or elsewhere that I have been able to find. (Well actually there are like 3, but they don't relate to the description of the Hound at all)
There was a movie produced in the 1960's that was based on this book, but they decided to nix the Hound, so I don't even have that work from.
I have a couple of sketches that I have drawn myself, but I can't draw well enough to take those and pull them into one picture.
Would anybody be up for doing some combining work or even putting up some concepts of their own? I will make sure your name stays with the project if I use it as my model base.
:help:

oobievision
12-09-2009, 06:23 AM
hmm I havent read the book myself but it sounds interesting. ill see what I can come up with. but what ive read on random pages it says the dog has 8 legs and a needle it uses to kill.
This is from Wiki

Mechanical Hound The mechanical hound exists in the original book but not in the 1966 film. It is an emotionless, eight-legged killing machine that can be programmed to seek out and destroy free thinkers, hunting them down by scent. It can remember as many as 10,000 scents at a time.It has a proboscis in a sheath on its snout, which injects lethal amounts of procaine and morphine. Although Montag is able to survive a partial injection into his leg, he suffers severe discomfort and numbness for a short time. The first hound encountered in the novel is destroyed when Montag sets it on fire with a flamethrower. A second hound sent to kill Montag but loses his scent when Montag jumped into a river. The hound then goes and finds a random victim to convince the television audience that the hound never fails (and also to keep the show short enough to keep the attention of the dim-witted masses). Bradbury notes in his afterword that the hound is "my robot clone of A. Conan Doyle's great Baskerville beast", referring to the famous Sherlock Holmes mystery The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Skinner3D
12-10-2009, 11:03 AM
:) Thanks for trying. The hound that I am trying to model is actually that second hound that chases Montag. As it isn't described in the book I imagine it to be the 'new and improved hound' which means you get to take some liberties as to what it actually looks like :D

This is an excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it is actually describing the Kill-O-Zap gun, but I think it gives a good idea of the evilness of the hound :D

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. "Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with.'"