PDA

View Full Version : OT: Remote Desktop Question

BlueApple
12-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Within our office we are looking into setting up some kind of remote desktop software.

Individuals all have their own computers, with their own software, files, configs, etc. We want a central computer that can access any one computer, run its software and access its files. We are already networked, and access all of our files off of a central server.

There is a list of software here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software) but I have no clue where to start. We are a PC shop. We donít need to do this over the interweb or with Wi-Fi; everything is connected with cable already.

Anyone have some recommendations?

Martin Adams
12-08-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Do you want to store all the apps, files and run programs on the master server, and just have people log in via a slave with no local software installed?

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop a lot and it's very good for office/web things. I do a lot of software development through it at work, but when it comes to video/3d/audio, the latency drops and the quality is not so good.

biliousfrog
12-08-2009, 08:07 AM
http://www.realvnc.com/

I use Real VNC but there are other VNC apps out there...it's not a replacement for a KVM but it's useful for accessing render nodes to turn them off, install software etc. I even use it to access my music apps on another workstation occassionally but it can sometimes be difficult to accurately tweak sliders and the like because of the slight lag.

BlueApple
12-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Sorry for the confusion. The below description should illustrate our goal.

Computer A:
Can access files off of the server, as well as files off of an internal C drive. All software is installed on internal C drive, as are configs, scripts, plugins, etc. Photoshop, LW and ZBrush are installed.

Computer B:
Can access files off of the server, as well as files off of an internal C drive. All software is installed on internal C drive, as are configs, scripts, plugins, etc. Illustrator, Photoshop, LW and Flash are installed.

Computer C:

Community Computer:
Can login into any of the above computers and run them remotely. If a user logs into Computer A, they can run Photoshop, LW and ZBrush. Additionally the keyboard shortcuts, interface setups, etc. will be identical to Computer A's. You should be able to access files off of Computer A's C drive as well as files off of the server.

Does this make sense? Is there software that allows for this to work?

biliousfrog
12-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Most remote desktop software can do that but the performance will not be the same as working directly on the machine because of the reduced bandwidth of working over LAN. The best solution is to use a KVM switch to connect directly to the other machines, that way you won't have any issues with lag or using USB devices such as tablets.

download the free version of realVNC and test it

3DGFXStudios
12-08-2009, 08:20 AM
This is what you need. LOGMEIN.com
It's brilliant. Fast. You can copy files from the remote computer in a special file manager. You can even see what the computer was doing all day. And all this works out of a internet browser, or your I phone. Normal phones will work to but the iphone has a special app for it. cross platform etc

you should really try it. I use it all the time :D

archijam
12-08-2009, 08:25 AM
TeamViewer is great, we use it Academically free, but not sure of the commercial licensing costs.

BlueApple
12-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm digging around and a local remote KVM may be what we're looking for (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_Switch). Anyone use one of these before?

Red_Oddity
12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
We use the VNC protocol for that, either with TightVNC (with the mirror driver installed and hextile encoding) or RealVNC.

RealVNC has the added advantage of installing as a session 0 service so you can also access your Vista machines when they are not logged in and still allow you log in to accounts via remote.

OnlineRender
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
This is what you need. LOGMEIN.com
It's brilliant. Fast. You can copy files from the remote computer in a special file manager. You can even see what the computer was doing all day. And all this works out of a internet browser, or your I phone. Normal phones will work to but the iphone has a special app for it. cross platform etc

you should really try it. I use it all the time :D

Pretty decent app used it a few times ,very similar to gotomypc.com , but you can manually set this up instead of downloading software .

just out of interest what OS you on "make things eaiser "

Peace

BlueApple
12-08-2009, 09:27 AM
We're on MS Windows XP Professional V2002 SP3.

colkai
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
TeamViewer is great, we use it Academically free, but not sure of the commercial licensing costs.

The only thing with teamviewer is needing the password for the remote computer, so it can't be a machine that just sits there with no operator.
Apart from that, I really like it, not least of which, unlike Remote Desktop, it can run LW as it sees the dongle as belonging to the computer you are connecting to. Handy.
Apart from that, we occasionally use VNC, but within the office, normally just a simple remote desktop connection.

BlueApple
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
...teamviewer...
not least of which, unlike Remote Desktop, it can run LW as it sees the dongle as belonging to the computer you are connecting to. Handy.

That is great to know. LightWave dongle failure is one of the things I'd like to avoid.

colkai
12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Yep, I was pleasantly surprised when I had my dongle in my other PC and could remote to it and still work. :)

archijam
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Didn't know about that .. how the hell does that work :) ?

Also nice with tv - activating scroll lock means you can use alt and other command keys .. meaning you can really 'work' on the machine locally. I found myself tumbling an object around in modeller, forgetting it was remote .. changing to any screen mode which limits the screen info - ie. no textures - makes it super quick.

colkai
12-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Heh, yeah, I know, very handy, not least of which is my remote PC was quicker than my laptop so it was kinda fun. :)
The only oddity I got was sometimes, if I tried to move a vertex, it would go off at a crazy angle and I just couldn't edit. Don't know why that happened but it was consistent. I guess it must have been something to do with the interpretation of the screen vertex placement. Think the screen may have been scaled in TV so it may have bearing.