PDA

View Full Version : iMac vs 8-core Mac Pro in 3D work

Johnny
12-05-2009, 07:21 AM
these tests at bare feats ( http://www.barefeats.com/imi7g2.html )

make it seem like the new iMac is about neck and neck with an 8 core mac pro, but are video games a good comparison to doing 3D rendering?

J

ingo
12-05-2009, 08:32 AM
No, but Cinebench : http://barefeats.com/imi7.html

If you do the math ( price/Cinebench = cents per Cinebench point ) the iMac is the best bang for the buck, even although it has a monitor inside. Second is of course the underestimated MacMini.

Johnny
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
huh...it isn't the total amount of Ghz divided by the $ cost?

J

Lightwolf
12-05-2009, 08:43 AM
huh...it isn't the total amount of Ghz divided by the $ cost?
Well, for rendering it's Cinebench score (the mutli-threaded, rendering one) divided by the costs.
That gives you CBs per $ - the higher the betters.

The CPU clock has little meaning if you compare different CPU generations, especially as the new ones clock dynamically depending on the CPU load anyhow.

Cheers,
Mike

JonW
12-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Radiosity & Baking are so much quicker on i7 & x55xx CPUs than the previous generation.

My Mini 2.0 Ghz has a total of 4.0 Ghz, my W5580 has a total 25.6 Ghz, so 6.4 x the Ghz processing. but my W5580 renders 9 x quicker. So in other words I would need 9 Mac Minis (36 Ghz) to render in the same time as 1 W5580 V8 box.

I haven’t done the current calcs on this but mw guess is that the Mac Pro 2.26 V8 will give you the fastest frame output per dollar for box.

If you are Baking &/or doing large single frame renders, having all the Ghz in 1 box is the way to go.

The problem with an iMac, is you may end up with unwanted screens.

littlewaves
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
the new imac has certainly made the Mac Pro seem a little less attractive but personally I'm holding out for the 12 core beast of a box they're rumored to be unleashing early next year which should restore the gap between the two lines.

Whether or not it comes at an attractive enough price point is another issue.

Johnny
12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
heh..yeah, dang those engineers making the imac faster!

I learned years ago that I'd never have the fastest computer, and even if I did, it would be the fastest only for a couple of months.

's the way it goes.

J

JonW
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Couple of months? Try negative 2 weeks for top end CPUs!

It took about 4 weeks to get my W5580 CPUs because they were in such short supply & they are only Engineering Samples, In the meantime the W5590 was available. But because I am a nobody, I would have had to wait a lot longer to get the W5590 or accept the W5580 still with another 2 week delay. I went for the old W5580 CPUs.

A computer is dated by the time you ordered it. If you have the work now & need a new box, just buy it. The sooner you buy it the bigger the tax deduction, so it balances it’s self out in the end.

You will probably find that for the first few months the first batch of 6 core CPUs will be the top end models with a serious price premium Say around $2000 to $2500 as against $500 for the low end models & then you will need 2 of them. The lower end models will be 4 cores for some time.

In the meantime just t get a 920 & overclock it & be pleasantly surprised at just how good the frame output rate per dollar per box it is.