PDA

View Full Version : Glitter Surface?

DaveLEWIS
12-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi,

I am trying to produce a coloured Glitter surface just like you would find on a hand made Christmas card. The surface is produced with a pen in the real world, which looks like a coloured metallic / glitter when the light hits it from a particular angle. Has anyone ever attempted this, or seen a preset for a surface such as this?

P.S. I am using Lightwave 9.6

DaveLEWIS

Phil
12-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I wondered if the carpaint node would be a way forward, but I've not tried it.

Eroneouse
12-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Noob idea no1... Could you make say 3 small objects, a triangle, square and oblong. make them as flat as you can and give them 3 faces on each side < front n back > apply a different coloured shiny surface to each face, shrink the objects down to about 1mm and then use a particle system to instance them and place them where you want them. Would that work or is that going the long way round.

Edit - I can already see the impracticality of 8 zillion particles per crimbo card in a scene so yea maybe not. Pity I did not think about that before I posted it, nvm.

warrenwc
12-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I'd just try a REALLY high contrast grainy texture in the specular channel to start.

Anti-Distinctly
12-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Flakes texture in the node editor. Use it to drive reflection and colour and you're all set.