PDA

View Full Version : Throw away object ?

greg.stephen
12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Hello,

I'm newbie...
I parented Wooden panels to the pelvis of body.
At the beginning all move with the body it's ok.

But after I would like to take Wooden panels and throw it away.
If I unparent them...it doesn't work.

How can I do?
Thanks a lot
Steph

evenflcw
12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
A couple of alternatives.

The old-school way is to have two copies of the panels. One parented, the other not. As you need to change the parenting state, you fade out one and in the other.

New school is using somekind of dynamic/animatable constraint, typically a motion modifier. Pre LW9.5 you have Dynamic Parenting and some 3rd party plugins (first tab in Motion Options;Flay.com). Post LW9.5 you have the Same As Item channel controller setting (second tab in Motion Options).

You could also just setup two different scenes, animate up to a point and then continue the clip in a separate scene... but that is kinda cumbersome.

greg.stephen
12-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks,
I read and I read again.
But I didn't understand:
"you have the Same As Item channel controller setting (second tab in Motion Options)."
the motion option it's "m" key, no?

I have to finish my scene in 15 days.
I think I'll do like the old school with fade.

I don't have time to learn now.
But i'm very interested with the new way.
If you have a tuto or time for me...

Thanks a lot to help me
Steph

evenflcw
12-05-2009, 08:34 AM
William Vaughan aka Proton to the rescue!
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Layout_DynamicParent.mov

h2oStudios
12-05-2009, 12:42 PM
You could use Point & Orient Constraints driven via a slider. Basically, create a "Track" Null and Parent it to your Hips Bone or whatever, position it where you want the pivot of your wood panel to be, Record Pivot Rotation on it so it's HPB values are 0,0,0. Take your wood panel and make sure that it's pivot is something relative to it's center so it sticks appropraitely. Bring up the Motions Properties panel for the wood panel and apply Point Constraint & Orient Constraint, in the P&O Constraint properties Choose the "Track Null" as your X,Y,Z & H,P,B constraints. Create a Master Channel (Utilities>Master Plugins>Master Channel) and name it something Wood On/Off, whatever. Create another Null for slider function, bring up it's Object Properties>Add Custom Object> Sliders, open that panel choose your Master Channel. Back to you P&O Constraints panels>Edit> Click the "E" (Envelope) tabs for your XYZ, HPB should bring up your graph editor, expressions> create new, name it whatever, it should reference the Master Channel which is like this - [MC.YourChannelNameHere], next apply this expression to all the XYZ, HPB Constraints, and there you go. the slider you created should now control whether the wood panel is on or off. :D

Simple enough?:D I know it sounds complicated but it's easier done than said.

Edit: when using this method it's probably best that the wood panel be not parented to anything.

And also as evenflcw said; if your using 9.5+ then same as item is a little faster to setup, but same principal.

greg.stephen
12-05-2009, 01:15 PM
oh thanks
but i did a lot of mistakes with pivot lol.

I unsderstood same as item... ok
great tuto!
1- But is it possible to put position item => on pelvis
cause he walks with wood and after
2- to put position item => on Hand Goal
cause I throw them away in the grass.

Steph

evenflcw
12-05-2009, 01:34 PM
That unfortunately it can't do. By design. However you could still layer items and set up each with a different constraint. Ie for the plank, you add a parent null, and another parent null for that. Then setup two different Same As Item for each of these nulls. As the plank is a child of both it will follow both, and you'll be able to keyframe ontop of that. Link the Same As Item channels to the same channel (master or other) for convenience.

greg.stephen
12-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh; ok.

Another problem.
When I put on my wood "same as item" to hand Goal,
it leaves at the middle of my grid.
it moves with my hand goal
but it is not at the same place.

What's the problem?

I give you my scene and object to try to do it:
LW.rar (http://video.master.free.fr/LW.rar)

Thanks

Cageman
12-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh; ok.

Another problem.
When I put on my wood "same as item" to hand Goal,
it leaves at the middle of my grid.
it moves with my hand goal
but it is not at the same place.

What's the problem?

I give you my scene and object to try to do it:
LW.rar (http://video.master.free.fr/LW.rar)

Thanks

I would love to help you, but I really can't understand your scenesetup. Which one of all these objects is the wood object?

Cageman
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh well...

I got it to work. Though, you will need to create ALOT of upfront rigging for this one to look good, an offset null that allows you to parent the object correctly to your hand.... Anyhow... you should make sure that you enable World (checkbox).

greg.stephen
12-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for answer.
how Do I do this ?? => enable World (checkbox). :D sorry

Steph