PDA

View Full Version : Can it be done!

lcintron
12-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Hey All,
New to this forum. I have a render project due in about 3-4 weeks. I am a graphic designer and I'm wanting to know if I can learn lightwave and complete an interior render in about a month? It's a basic store interior with tables chairs and merchandise. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase lightwave for this project. I was told to check out this product because I can import some items from google warehouse which would reduce time drastically, is this true? Any help and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
-Luis

UnCommonGrafx
12-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Download the demo, register it and get to work. Sounds like you have the same time available in the demo as for this project.
That said, I would ask: what had you planned to do this project without LW? If this is a paying gig, sounds like you would be better invested in using the old and known tool.
No one knows how bright you might be at learning a new app. I've done it before and had mixed results when trying to crash course a program for a project.
Good luck!

Matt
12-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Best way to learn is on a real job, but interiors can be tricky, there are a number of things you would need to learn to pull it off effectively.

I'm sure many of us on here would be willing to help and share techiniques to aid you.

COBRASoft
12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Welcome!

Certainly watch the video of Matt about linear working and Gamma stuff here on the forums. For interiors, it will help you a lot to get those dark areas right. I'm learning this myself right now :)

Shnoze Shmon
12-04-2009, 09:55 AM
There are 30+ hours of free tutorials on the LW site. Watch a few hours of them and you'll have an idea how fast you can pick up the basics of the program.

Jockomo
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Jockomo whispers: run for your life!

StereoMike
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
My bets are on Jockomo!

arsad
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I'd stick to jockomos advice, but all depends on the quality you need to supply.

Nicolas Jordan
12-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I would say if you have done a decent amount of 3d previously and especially interiors then you probably won't have much trouble pulling it off with Lightwave.

mike_stening
12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
its certainly do-able, i learnt realflow in 2 days (well enough to get the job done) so you could do it if you brain works that way, but you have to commit to it and stay with it to do it.
and if you get stuck theres plenty of folks on here that can help ya

cc3d
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
does anybody care about punctuation anymore! Sure seems like the answer is no?

JonW
12-04-2009, 01:49 PM
As Matt said. The best way to learn is on a real job!

It will be tough, but it can be done, if you have the right frame of mind & are prepared to work like its your end of school exams. It won’t be perfect & you will be using a lot of band-aids but you will get there.

Download all the tutorials even if you think they are unrelated watch them anyway. Just seeing examples of Lightwave being used will make a huge difference. I wish I had these in my day!

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Back in the 90s I was with a customer & they wanted a photo montage of an architectural model. I said yes we can do that, no problems!

Later back in the office I said. We got the job, & now we need to buy a computer & software. The situation was as bad as that! By late afternoon we had our new Mac up & running, & with quite a bit of help from some very nice girls from a graphics design studio next door we got the job done.

When I look back I still wonder how we got it finished, but it was worth every bit of effort we put in, & we never looked back. Lightwave was a bit the same, it was a real job that pushed me along. Its very tough but it really is the best way to get new skills.

StereoMike
12-05-2009, 03:46 AM
I know a guy who landed a rather complex project for a company that does complicated technical machines. He didn't knew anything about 3d at that time, but thought: "hey- if any other guy can do it, it can't be that hard. I'll learn it on the fly and get the job done within that 2 month timeframe."
The client is no small companie, it's a global player.
After two month the client got rather upset, cause nothing has happened.
I very much dislike this guy (owes me money), and his entrepreneur example shows me, what he thinks about other people's skills ("must be easy") and about himself (thinks he can everything, but faster).

mike

jameswillmott
12-05-2009, 05:35 AM
Hey All,
New to this forum. I have a render project due in about 3-4 weeks. I am a graphic designer and I'm wanting to know if I can learn lightwave and complete an interior render in about a month? It's a basic store interior with tables chairs and merchandise. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase lightwave for this project. I was told to check out this product because I can import some items from google warehouse which would reduce time drastically, is this true? Any help and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
-Luis

If you've used any 3d apps before, have experience illustrating interiors and have some premade assets you should be ok. Otherwise I think you're in for a rough ride. Depending on the quality of final product you need of course; I'm assuming something fairly realistic.