PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Encoder crashes VT

BizZack
12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
First, let me set the playing field here. I am on VT5.2 on an XP 64 with Dual Quad Xeon MHz CPUs, 4 GB DDR2, nVidia Quadro FX 1700, 1-Samsung ATA 250GB OS Drive and 4-Seagate 500GB ATA drives Striped for my Media Drive. I have used VT since 4.0 and had every upgrade since. I am not impressed so far with VT5. VT Edit was the best editor software Newtek made. Anyway, that's a tangent. Basically, what's happened here is that I downloaded/installed the 64 bit version of Windows Media Encoder since the computer didn't have it loaded already. I pointed the path to the WMEnc.exe file folder. I thought this would keep the computer from crashing every time like it had been, but I was mistaken. The executable file can't be seen by VT! It showed up in the path after I reloaded, but it still crashed when I tried to make a WMV. Help!

Quiet1onTheSet
01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
...what's happened here is that I downloaded/installed the 64 bit version of Windows Media Encoder since the computer didn't have it loaded already. I pointed the path to the WMEnc.exe file folder. I thought this would keep the computer from crashing every time like it had been, but I was mistaken. The executable file can't be seen by VT! It showed up in the path after I reloaded, but it still crashed when I tried to make a WMV. Help!

I have no idea whether or not this matters in your case, but I heard recently that although VT[5] was written so as to be able to be run on XP Pro 64 (enabling it have access to up to 4GB of system memory), it is yet, a 32-bit app.

Do let us know of any progress you've made on getting your system operational.

Q1

PIZAZZ
01-20-2010, 07:51 AM
First, let me set the playing field here. I am on VT5.2 on an XP 64 with Dual Quad Xeon MHz CPUs, 4 GB DDR2, nVidia Quadro FX 1700, 1-Samsung ATA 250GB OS Drive and 4-Seagate 500GB ATA drives Striped for my Media Drive. I have used VT since 4.0 and had every upgrade since. I am not impressed so far with VT5. VT Edit was the best editor software Newtek made. Anyway, that's a tangent. Basically, what's happened here is that I downloaded/installed the 64 bit version of Windows Media Encoder since the computer didn't have it loaded already. I pointed the path to the WMEnc.exe file folder. I thought this would keep the computer from crashing every time like it had been, but I was mistaken. The executable file can't be seen by VT! It showed up in the path after I reloaded, but it still crashed when I tried to make a WMV. Help!

First off, Win Media Encoder 64bit is horrible. Nobody I know of uses it. If my client needs to use WME then I put them in either a 32bit XP or Vista64 system. Now actually Win7 64bit. The latter two OS's do much better running non native 64bit software and drivers.

next thing, did you build the system or did a dealer?
If you did then you probably didn't know that a Quadro GFX card is just asking for trouble. For whatever reason their drivers are not very stable with VT. Pick a decent regular Nvidia 9800 or newer graphics card instead.

last thing, Are you using ATA drives or SATA drives for storage and system drives? SATA good, ATA just marginally okay.

Keep the details coming and I am sure we can get you fixed up.

First thing I would do is change the graphics card and then the OS to something newer.

SBowie
01-20-2010, 08:12 AM
The Quadro was my first thought as well. They seem to be a common factor when we see this sort of thing. It is my general impression when I see someone with one in a VT that whoever specced out the system made the assumption that a high end video system must need an expensive gfx card ... but I'd never recommend one.

csandy
01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
So true, Steve I'm getting great performance off my $10 Nvidea 5200 video card with my VT5.