PDA

View Full Version : Restricting Object Modification in Multi-User Environment

JohnKocon
12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if there is anyway to prevent multiple users from opening/editing objects and scenes that are in a shared library.
Ideally a user would be able to open & work on an object, and if someone else tries to open the same object, it would indicate that the file is already in use by user x . Is this a LW feature, or is this something that can be implemented through a file sharing setting in WindowsXP ?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated- I am responsible for introducing LW into our company, and have found that working with several users at once is way more challenging than when it was just me!

I'd love to hear from anyone who works with LW in a multi-user environment and how they manage assets.

Thank you.

jwiede
12-03-2009, 01:20 AM
If only certain users have read permission for a given object file, others should be able to read the file but not modify it. For anything more elaborate in terms of controls, you might want to look at some kind of content change control system, like Subversion, or there are a number of 3D library-specific products, but not many offer in-app controls for LW. I'm guessing the big companies use custom-coded interfaces combined with external CCCS systems, while the smaller houses just use Subversion or Perforce and handle the CCCS operationss outside LW.

Doing rudimentary scripts to allow checkouts, reverts, etc. from with LW is pretty simple, it's when you start wanting to do things like manage file CCCS attributes, commit workspaces, etc. that things get ugly. You wind up flying blind trying to see version diffs, etc. because it's hard to get diffs, changesets, etc. to visualize within LW without a lot of custom coding.

I looked at adding in-LW controls to a commercial 3D CCCS once, but ran into a bunch of issues related to how far devs can get into the file management code paths inside LW. Trying to implement all the hooks the CCCS needed at that point required a lot of grunt work at that time with LW, and I'm not sure things will get better until CORE releases. There are just a lot of ways LW reaches out and touches assets, and not all are easy to change in the ways needed to integrate external content libraries.

Still, might be worth looking at again, if I get a chance.

walfridson
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
alienbrain

JohnKocon
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
thanks for the feedback- will check out alienbrain & see if it can do what I'm looking for- particularly with LW