PDA

View Full Version : Surface Baking Camera

automan25
12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm finding that when using the surface baking camera to bake UV textures that incorporate Global Illumination that the render is excruciatingly slow to the point of being unusable. This is true even with the AA dialed all the way down. Does anyone have any tricks to increasing the speed?

jgatter
12-03-2009, 03:21 PM
has this been fixed in 9.6.1?

jgatter
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Thank you... I just tried to use it to bake gi and found it broke. There is definitely an issue with render time and border stretch. It is a real shame because I was counting on being able to bake the gi... now I am screwed. I will use fprime, but I will have to resurface some stuff.

jgatter
12-04-2009, 04:22 PM
the padding problem is in fprime as well

Yep... I found that out.

Sekhar
12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Guys, which version are you talking about? I just tried with 9.6, and everything renders quite fast (tired Monte Carlo, Final Gather). Also, what's this padding issue you're referring to? Everything looking good here...

jgatter
12-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Guys, which version are you talking about? I just tried with 9.6, and everything renders quite fast (tired Monte Carlo, Final Gather). Also, what's this padding issue you're referring to? Everything looking good here...

I am on 9.6 64 bit.

I figured out what the problem is and was able to get LW to have good results.

There is a bug, and an issue with the border... The border expand is not implemented as it should be. It is supposed to stretch the pixels on the uv border, but it is over rendering the polys at the uv border... so the pixel expand could be lit differently due to the over rendered polys. This is more noticeable when trying to bake interiors because of the way that walls meet the ceiling.

I also figured out the other issue that is causing long render. I haven't pin pointed it exactly, but is has something to do with edits to the uv map and long gi calc. Certain edits to uv map in modeler are causing gi to take 100 times longer. It has something to do with the uv map, and it only effects gi calc...

I was able to get good results quickly, but you have to make sure that the roof/exterior walls are double sided so they don't cast light on the pixel expanded polys... I also didn't make any edits to uv after I created it with plg make uv.

here was my test...

Sekhar
12-05-2009, 12:12 AM
You can always adjust the edges by setting the UV Border (I usually make it 1.0, but you can go negative too).

jgatter
12-05-2009, 12:50 AM
You can always adjust the edges by setting the UV Border (I usually make it 1.0, but you can go negative too).

Yeah, but the problem is with the way that the uv border is calculated... It is over rendering the polys not stretching the border pixels like other bakers. It is workable, but you have to be way more aware of what you are doing and much more careful with your uv seams. The border stretch that i have used in other renders is a way better way of going about it.

Infinite
12-05-2009, 07:10 AM
This bug has been around for ages. It would be great to see a fix :thumbsup:

jgatter
12-05-2009, 09:07 AM
go and submit a bug so it gets fixed. the more the better imo :)

I reported the pixel expand error in the 9.0 beta... I think it is still around due to coding incompetence. I agree with infinite... It would be real nice if NT would fix the ****!

Sekhar
12-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I think it is still around due to coding incompetence.

I wouldn't make statements like that when we have no idea why this "bug" is not "fixed." Very unfair to the developers and to NT.

jgatter
12-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't make statements like that when we have no idea why this "bug" is not "fixed." Very unfair to the developers and to NT.
I would guess that it is not fixed because they cant figure out a quick fix for it, but I think it is pretty lame to have broken tools since the 9.0 open beta that have been reported...

It is a complete joke to have the bake camera function in the manner that it does. I don't care why it isn't fixed... I care that NT think its ok to leave half broken features in their program in the hopes that people wont ever understand them enough to notice.

Cageman
12-06-2009, 01:49 AM
I've used Surface Baking camera many times, and I havn't had any issues with it.

jgatter
12-06-2009, 08:27 AM
There is a bug with gi and speed, and the border is not implemented correctly. I will make a vid to show the problem...

I did not mean to come off like a complete dick just a partial one. IT makes me mad to find a bug and report it 4 years ago, forget about it and find it again. NT know the problem is there and let it go because not many people even notice.

ps... meg, BLOW ME : )
I did not mention megelodon once in my post yet you are hear bashing me and not talking about the problem at hand. So are you any better?

Sekhar
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
There is a bug with gi and speed, and the border is not implemented correctly. I will make a vid to show the problem...

I did not mean to come off like a complete dick just a partial one. IT makes me mad to find a bug and report it 4 years ago, forget about it and find it again. NT know the problem is there and let it go because not many people even notice.

ps... meg, BLOW ME : )
I did not mention megelodon once in my post yet you are hear bashing me and not talking about the problem at hand. So are you any better?

Jgatter, we (and NT) will take you more seriously if you can show with a specific example what the issue is and why it's important.

jgatter
12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Jgatter, we (and NT) will take you more seriously if you can show with a specific example what the issue is and why it's important.

Oh don't you worry Sekhar... I didn't get time to do it today, but I will be more then happy to show you the problem... It is very easy to reproduce. I cant believe that you cant see it yourself...

To be honest I don't really give a **** if you take me seriously... I KNOW that there is a problem. I could give to ****s if you believe me or not... but i will post the vid to show you what the issue is and why it is not good compared to other bakers that i have used.

IRML
12-07-2009, 08:12 AM
I remember back in the beta the edge expansion never worked, but I have no idea if it was ever fixed or not

this may not be much help to you, but I always do the expanding in post

if you save the image with the alpha channel, you can then duplicate the layer and gaussian blur it 1 or 2 pixels, then duplicate that many many times until the edges of the gaussian blur become sharp again, then leave the unblurred image on top - this adds perfect edge expansion

jgatter
12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Here is the problem with the border expand...http://soldierwithin.home.comcast.net/~soldierwithin/bake_bug.mov

There is a more severe problem with the gi that I was not able to reproduce... I wasn't going to sit there for an hour and try and replicate it, but it is there, and it makes gi unuasable. The way around it is to make a new uv map and test to make sure it renders in a timely fashion.

ksp
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
i get the same problems when rendering UV maps with radiosity.
anything but the most simple UV will take hours to render. (like a 256x256 door frame taking 3 hrs where the picture render takes a couple of secs)