PDA

View Full Version : Question about Core

old fashioned d
12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm a little confused (nothing new). Is Core taking the place of Lightwave? I know that's a dumb question but when I read up on it it sounds like Lightwave (the old version with Layout/Modeler) will still continue to advance so I was curious as to what's supposed to transpire.

My boss is about to purchase another seat of Lightwave so I can now use it at the office. I currently only use LW at home and I THOUGHT that buying the Core membership gave me another seat of LW 9.6 along with the Core program but apparently not. So I am waiting for Newteks customer service to let me know how much Core AND another dongle is going to cost my boss : ) Looks like $595 for a dongle (another seat of :W 9.6) and another $495 for Core so I may not be able to get Core yet.

Bummer.

BTW, Newteks customer service sure is awesome! They have answered my questions super fast! I appreciate that a lot!

JMCarrigan
12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
No no. Ya gotta talk to someone who's in the know completely - but if you've purchased CORE you have 9.6. Confused about what you have where. More later.

Matt
12-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm a little confused (nothing new). Is Core taking the place of Lightwave?

Eventually, yes, that's the plan, but not for a while.

I read up on it it sounds like Lightwave (the old version with Layout/Modeler) will still continue to advance

9.6, the latest version of 'legacy' LightWave will get a 9.6.1 update soon, and then that will be the LAST version of legacy LightWave in the 9.6.x series.

Then things switch to the 'CORE' / 'Hardcore' package (names subject to change). The CORE bundle will get you:

LightWave CORE - 'next gen' version of LightWave

LightWave HC - Special version of legacy LightWave made to work with CORE, this will be developed alongside CORE until CORE has enough features to take over the baton.

When CORE reaches a level of maturity, LightWave HC will be dropped in favour of CORE (this could change though, you never know).

So if you *upgrade* to LightWave CORE, it's like upgrading as you know it, you use the same dongle.

But if you bought CORE outright you would get a new copy of LightWave (the HC variety) AND CORE.

Simples, tsk!

Ernest
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
And if you buy a full copy of 9.6 right now, you get a free upgrade to core and free hardcore membership.

old fashioned d
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Well I just talked with Newtek and this is how it is: I have to buy another seat to LW 9.6 ($595) and an additional $495 for the Core membership. So it would cost $1090 to get what we need.

So, my boss is just going to buy the additional seat to LW and we are going to wait and get Core later next year.

Thanks for the help!

Castius
12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know who you talked to but that sounds wrong.

Read this page: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/

If you need to buy a whole new version of Lightwave it's $895. If you do that right now you get Core.

A full LightWave purchase at US$895 also comes with access to LightWave CORE™ and all the HardCORE™ benefits for a full year.

If you're upgrading then just buy the HardCORE™ for $495 and you still get both.

biliousfrog
12-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I suspect the price for buying into the CORE thing has changed as the first installment of the new software has been released...from what I gather from Jay's announcement.

As Castius says, just buy the HC thingy and you'll get LightwaveHC anyway which is essentially 9.6 plus some CORE stuff as far as I can tell.

JMCarrigan
12-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't know who you talked to but that sounds wrong.

Read this page: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/

If you need to buy a whole new version of Lightwave it's $895. If you do that right now you get Core.

If you're upgrading then just buy the HardCORE™ for $495 and you still get both.

Quoted for agreement etc :agree: Right! IF don't own Lightwave at all then: A full LightWave purchase at US$895 also comes with access to LightWave CORE™ and all the HardCORE™ benefits for a full year.

jrandom
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I just recently purchased Lightwave 9.6 (it should arrive today! yay!) and was wondering if I should put all my efforts into learning Lightwave HC, or if I should stick mainly with LW 9.6 until CORE is more complete?

OnlineRender
12-02-2009, 02:14 PM
both!

hrgiger
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
On the surface, LWHC and 9.6 are pretty much identical aren't they? LWHC is just being further developed to allow communication with CORE.

OnlineRender
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
this Core stuff gets confusing :D

Just Learn EVERYTHING your eyes see :D

Eroneouse
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I just bought lightwave 9.6 just a few weeks ago and 12 month membership to CORE came with it as part of the deal for free as far as I can see £603 GBP for the whole bundle, not too sure what that is in dollars but I am sure its less than 1K.

Edit - bundle includes current and ongoing access to CORE builds and forums and guarantee that I will recieve the first retail version of CORE when it ships.

old fashioned d
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow... this IS confusing! The guy I emailed back and forth said I had to purchase both and even sent me a PO with two separate orders. One for LW at $595 and one for Core for $495.

I told him I needed an extra dongle so I could use on two different machines (home/office) and he said I had to purchase an additional LW "seat".

To be honest, I am actually on the fence as to whether or not to just move over to Luxology's Modo 402. I like the fact that there is no damn dongle and after using the demo I am really impressed with it!

Hmmm... I've been using LW for 11 years now so switching would be strange but... Modo is great.

I'm going to think about this for the next week or so while continuing to use Modo and then decide on whether or not to change software. I will ONLY be using this for product renders (no animation) and have been using LW for this for the last 5 years ( for product renders) and it's great but I am tired of the two programs you have to run, the hub always screwing up and having a unified program (like Modo) and NO DONGLE is appealing. BUT, LW is more powerful and more complete...

Damn...

hrgiger
12-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow... this IS confusing! The guy I emailed back and forth said I had to purchase both and even sent me a PO with two separate orders. One for LW at $595 and one for Core for $495.

I told him I needed an extra dongle so I could use on two different machines (home/office) and he said I had to purchase an additional LW "seat".

To be honest, I am actually on the fence as to whether or not to just move over to Luxology's Modo 402. I like the fact that there is no damn dongle and after using the demo I am really impressed with it!

Hmmm... I've been using LW for 11 years now so switching would be strange but... Modo is great.

I'm going to think about this for the next week or so while continuing to use Modo and then decide on whether or not to change software. I will ONLY be using this for product renders (no animation) and have been using LW for this for the last 5 years ( for product renders) and it's great but I am tired of the two programs you have to run, the hub always screwing up and having a unified program (like Modo) and NO DONGLE is appealing. BUT, LW is more powerful and more complete...

Damn...

As far as the dongle goes... there's really no need to buy an extra Lightwave seat, you just need to take your dongle to work with you and take it back home to use it there. And dongle for CORE? I don't think the licensing scheme for CORE has been established yet and whether or not there will be a dongle is unknown at this point. I'm not sure, but I think it was mentioned that it will probably be different then the current licensing practice.

I don't know who you're talking to at Newtek but I think they're wrong. It says right on the CORE webpage that if you buy a new seat of Lightwave, it's $895 which includes a CORE membership (which itself includes the final version of CORE once its released). I would clarify with Chuck on this one.

Concerning Modo, it's only version 401 that's been released. There will probably be a Modo 402 eventually which means that 501 (which may or may not make Modo near complete) will be quite a ways off yet. But I use both Lightwave and Modo. Modo is a great modeler with a great renderer. Can't say I'm a fan of the Modo render tree yet but some seem to like it. You said you already use Lightwave, you could always use both? Modo loads .lwo files.

The december newsletter which could come out anytime now is going to have the features of CORE 1.0 in it. If you can wait a little while, you may want to wait until at least then to make a decision.

robertoortiz
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
What I can preview is that right off the boat CORE will have some features that will complement your LW environment quite well.

Just wait for the newsletter for more details.

-R

Lewis
12-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Maybe (just maybe) he is getting that 595$ deal (instead 895$) because he already HAVE one LW seat? Maybe 2nd seat is cheaper then ???

Dunno 'coz i have 2nd seat registered at company/different account so i didn't get that price (payed full 895+TAX through local dealer) but I agree it's confusing to get many different info about same stuff :) :D,

colkai
12-03-2009, 02:32 AM
I'd EMail Chuck to be honest, this guy you're talking to doesn't sound like he's exactly clear on matters.
If you buy a new seat of 9.6 you get CORE automatically, so I would of thought anyone looking to upgrade LW to 9.6 now would also get the same deal. It's kinda the way Newtek have always operated in the past.

I'd say do NOT commit to anything yet until Chuck or Jay have given a definitive answer.

To me, it sounds like he's asking you to pay for two products then also another seat with a dongle, what is he? On major commission or summat? If it were me, I'd be holding off for sure. As HRGiger says as well, CORE licensing has not yet been decided so if he is telling you to buy yet another seat just for a dongle you may not use, well, even more "questionable".

Make sure you let Chuck/Jay know the name of this guy, at the very least, he needs to be clearer on things he's telling customers IMHO.

lwaddict
12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
What colkai said.

There's no way this sounds right.

You ARE talking directly to Newtek right?
Because the deal you're getting doesn't even match the pricing of the LW9/HC bundles out of third party dealers like www.sharbor.com

old fashioned d
12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone for the help! And yes, I am dealing with Newtek directly on this. I emailed their customer support and that's what Ricky Mendoza said. I'd have to buy two products- LW 9.6 extra seat and Core membership. We went back and forth emailing because he wasn't clear and I was totally confused but in the end he sent me a PO and it has them listed as 2 orders running just over $1K.

And as far as Modo 40 goes I really am digging it. I too am not too fond of their shader tree but everything else seems great!

I'll hold off until I get this straightened out with Newtek and also check out their December newsletter about the Core feature set.

Modo suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure is tempting though!

jrandom
12-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Does it take awhile for the HC membership to kick in? I just registered my copy of Lightwave 9.6 last night but don't see anyplace to d/l CORE or access the CORE forums.

(I'm creaking along on an old G4 mac, will HC run on this? I'm waiting for Apple to update their Mac Pro product line sometime Q1 next year before I get a new system.)

lwaddict
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=old fashioned d;955319]Thanks everyone for the help! And yes, I am dealing with Newtek directly on this. I emailed their customer support and that's what Ricky Mendoza said. I'd have to buy two products- LW 9.6 extra seat and Core membership. We went back and forth emailing because he wasn't clear and I was totally confused but in the end he sent me a PO and it has them listed as 2 orders running just over $1K.QUOTE]

Dude...
if you didn't go the 'additional' seat route it should've been 895...
some places even a little cheaper.

BeeVee
12-03-2009, 02:29 PM
@old fashioned d If you bought your first seat of LightWave on 15th January 09 or later it will come with HardCORE membership. If you bought it before then, your LightWave 9.x does not come with the HardCORE Membership and you would have to purchase a membership for $495.

If you need an additional seat of LightWave, you can get that for $595 and that seat would come with a HardCORE Membership.

B

Lewis
12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
If you need an additional seat of LightWave, you can get that for $595 and that seat would come with a HardCORE Membership.

B

Thanks for confirming that Ben, i though it could be 2nd seat DEAL :).

Eroneouse
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Does it take awhile for the HC membership to kick in? I just registered my copy of Lightwave 9.6 last night but don't see anyplace to d/l CORE or access the CORE forums.

(I'm creaking along on an old G4 mac, will HC run on this? I'm waiting for Apple to update their Mac Pro product line sometime Q1 next year before I get a new system.)

When I bought my lightwave just recently the core membership had to be activated by newtek, email the newtek customer service about it, they will want some basic info off you in order to activate the core access and in a day or two you will be able to access the core forums which would be right to the bottom of the main forum list page.

old fashioned d
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
@old fashioned d If you bought your first seat of LightWave on 15th January 09 or later it will come with HardCORE membership. If you bought it before then, your LightWave 9.x does not come with the HardCORE Membership and you would have to purchase a membership for $495.

B

Wow... so if I would have bought this from Ricky (at Newtek) then I would have been over charged by $495? Correct? He said for an additional seat it would be $595 and then if I wanted Core an additional $495. He even wrote up the PO for both orders totaling $1090 plus shipping/tax

Holy moly!

BeeVee
12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Any LightWave bought since January 15th this year has a HardCORE membership.

B

old fashioned d
12-03-2009, 09:32 PM

B

That's great but I wonder why I was told I would have to buy both? No biggie...

Silkrooster
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM

It is a biggie when you are shelling out your hard earned cash. Take BeeVee's advice, he knows what he is talking about.

Order just the one and core will come with it.

colkai
12-04-2009, 02:17 AM
If Ben says it is so, it is so.
I'm surprised that Ricky would give that info out, he should know better than that.

Soth
12-04-2009, 02:58 AM
Wow... so if I would have bought this from Ricky (at Newtek) then I would have been over charged by $495? Correct? He said for an additional seat it would be $595 and then if I wanted Core an additional $495. He even wrote up the PO for both orders totaling $1090 plus shipping/tax

Holy moly!

If you up to additional LightWave seat and your current LightWave upgraded to CORE you will need to spend about $1000, you will finish with 2 LightWave/CORE licences.

What you might want to do is to buy additional LightWave seat, which comes with CORE and buy your upgrade (of current LightWave licence) to CORE when will be finished.

I hope that will clear things out. :)

cagey5
12-04-2009, 03:13 AM
Sounds like everyone is assuming Newtek got it wrong on this one when it isn't at all clear from the original message what the current situation is.

... I currently only use LW at home

Is this copy of LW entitled to a free Core upgrade? Has it already been upgraded? Not sure. If not it's going to cost $495

..... I THOUGHT that buying the Core membership gave me another seat of LW 9.6 along with the Core program but apparently not. No it doesn't. Buying Core membership gets you ... Core membership -If all you're doing is upgrading. If you want an additional seat to take into the office that's going to cost $595 or a little over $1000 dollars if you upgrade your current LW copy at the same time which is what you were being quoted right?

Seems the only question here is whether your current version of LW is eligible for the free upgrade to Core which so far hasn't been clarified.

JMCarrigan
12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Lordy. How are we able to get anything done right at all? Communcation mit them words is tricky am 'em not?

Weetos
12-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Any copy bought from NT or from a reseller has it, used copies bought since jan 15th this year from eBay and such obviously does not.

Just wanted to make it a bit clearer ;)

Chuck
12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm a little confused (nothing new). Is Core taking the place of Lightwave? I know that's a dumb question but when I read up on it it sounds like Lightwave (the old version with Layout/Modeler) will still continue to advance so I was curious as to what's supposed to transpire.

My boss is about to purchase another seat of Lightwave so I can now use it at the office. I currently only use LW at home and I THOUGHT that buying the Core membership gave me another seat of LW 9.6 along with the Core program but apparently not. So I am waiting for Newteks customer service to let me know how much Core AND another dongle is going to cost my boss : ) Looks like $595 for a dongle (another seat of :W 9.6) and another $495 for Core so I may not be able to get Core yet.

Bummer.

BTW, Newteks customer service sure is awesome! They have answered my questions super fast! I appreciate that a lot!

Well I just talked with Newtek and this is how it is: I have to buy another seat to LW 9.6 ($595) and an additional $495 for the Core membership. So it would cost $1090 to get what we need.

So, my boss is just going to buy the additional seat to LW and we are going to wait and get Core later next year.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like there are some misunderstandings going on. First, any new LightWave seat would include both 9.6 and a CORE membership (a full seat includes a dongle, of course). Any upgrade you are purchasing on v8 or earlier LightWave would also include v9.6 and a CORE membership (but not an extra dongle - you are upgrading one software license, not buying a second license).

So, does your work currently own any licenses of LightWave 3D? If no, then your work needs to purchase a full seat, either $895 for the version with PDF manuals, or $995 for the version with both PDF and Printed manuals. This will include a CORE membership, and will also receive the shipping version of the next LightWave ordinal (paid) update at no additional charge. That update will include the first shipping version of CORE.

As for your own license, what version is that? From the "another v9.6" comment it sounds like you have v9.6 already. If you want to purchase a CORE membership, that would be $495. However, if you do happen to be on 8.0 or earlier, then you can purchase a v9 upgrade with PDF manuals for $495, or pdf and printed manuals for $595, and you also get a CORE membership at no additional cost. You would not have to purchase both a v9 update and a CORE membership separately.

I'm not aware that we currently have any form of full seat priced at $595 - we did for a time have a special where users of an eligible 3D application could add LightWave to their toolset for $595. That was a full seat with dongle, and it did include CORE membership. I think that has been over for quite some time however.

Chuck
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the help! And yes, I am dealing with Newtek directly on this. I emailed their customer support and that's what Ricky Mendoza said. I'd have to buy two products- LW 9.6 extra seat and Core membership. We went back and forth emailing because he wasn't clear and I was totally confused but in the end he sent me a PO and it has them listed as 2 orders running just over $1K.

I'll hold off until I get this straightened out with Newtek and also check out their December newsletter about the Core feature set.

I'm checking with sales to see if we have an active special on additional seats of LightWave, and if there are any special terms on that with regard to CORE.

Chuck
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Just guessing, but maybe Ricky was thinking that you were asking for a full seat with CORE membership for work, plus a CORE membership for your current license.

Chuck
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Confirmed: there is currently a special for adding a second seat of LightWave 3D for $595. This of course includes a dongle, since it is a full license, and it also includes CORE membership for that license. If your place of employment already has at least one other LightWave license then they qualify for this special. Wherever you use the second license, you can also install and use CORE.

Currently still in alpha development, CORE is using the LightWave dongle. Plans are that the release version will not use a dongle-based licensing system, though it will be available as an option for those who prefer it.

radams
12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Currently still in alpha development, CORE is using the LightWave dongle. Plans are that the release version will not use a dongle-based licensing system, though it will be available as an option for those who prefer it.

Good to know, I like the dongle..since so many third parties work with it...and allows me to use it on any system as I may travel...which is good for me.

So please keep the dongle option...but work with third parties to support both options...

That was one of the bad issues with LW on VT...cause no third party supported VT as a dongle...

Cheers,