PDA

View Full Version : noob to Intel mac

toby
12-02-2009, 02:57 AM
Finally got my 8-core :king: (old machine; 2x2 G5 circa 2003)
But I have many questions! I'll post them all here as they come up.

First one is how the SMEG do you UNSMEG the SMEGGING Function keys that Apple SMEGGED up AGAIN?? F1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 plus all alt-F1 etc., all completely useless, unless you get some serious work done by toggling your volume up and down and tuning your music to the next selection. :bangwall: Tried the keyboard options in system preferences, no go.

Is there anything that can be done? There's no way to map F9 to *anything*, it seems to be a volume key and nothing else. Tried all the other modifier keys with it too.

LightGhost
12-02-2009, 04:16 AM
you should go to the keyboard under system preferences and check use all F1,F2...., then when you want to launch a system function like volume and so use FN to do that.

and in the keyboard prefs you have keyboard shortcuts so you can remap keys.

Great machine by the way.

Iaian7
12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Exactly what LightGhost said, I've attached a screenshot.

FYI - Lightwave appears to be moving more towards the standard command+R for rendering, but it's taking me quite awhile to adjust. :D The G5 keyboards were easily balanced between standard function keys and volume control; the "special" keys (volume and eject) replaced f16-f19, without interfering with anything else. Oh well, I certainly prefer the key action on the newer aluminium models, so I suppose it's a trade off I'm willing to make.

Scazzino
12-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Simple command-Fkeys work for me... always have... I just hit command-F9 in LW instead of plain F9, which is Expose, which I use far more often across the board than LW's F9... But I'm on a Mac Pro... if you're on a Mac laptop it may be different... :D

Iaian7
12-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Simple command-Fkeys work for me... always have... I just hit command-F9 in LW instead of plain F9, which is Expose, which I use far more often across the board than LW's F9... But I'm on a Mac Pro... if you're on a Mac laptop it may be different... :D

Ah! I forgot about expose and spaces interfering with default F-keys... I always remap them to command-function keys so I can still use all the regular functions in Lightwave.

Scazzino
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
BTW, which keyboard do you have?

My old first generation Mac Pro came with the old extended keyboard where there are 16 full FKeys, then the volume and eject keys are a separate row above the extended keypad on the far right... On this keyboard pressing the command key (apple key) with an Fkey in LW works like a plain Fkey as far as LW is concerned... pressing the plain FKey (F8-F12) operate spaces, expose and dashboard, which I use more often than the LW FKeys, since I do much more than just LW on this machine... so I never remapped anything (other than using a dvorak keyboard layout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard) for normal touch typing ever since my first Mac Plus) and use the default mappings.

toby
12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
you should go to the keyboard under system preferences and check use all F1,F2...., then when you want to launch a system function like volume and so use FN to do that.

and in the keyboard prefs you have keyboard shortcuts so you can remap keys.

Great machine by the way.
Oh sweet jesus Thank you! I should've known I missed something.

It's the newer keyboard, it is nice and smooth and took almost no getting used to. Looking forward to setting my own keyboard shortcuts for *everything* too :rock:

Thanks for the advice gents.

OlaHaldor
12-03-2009, 05:03 AM
I've setup the ExposŤ keys work on F13, F14 and Dashboard on F15, in order to have the default F9, F10, F11 in LightWave. And since I tend to play a lot of music while I work, I installed Synergy and have previous track, play/pause, next track and "toggle show iTunes" from F16 to F19. Works like a charm! :)

Oh! It's the aluminum keyboard by the way.

toby
12-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I've setup the ExposŤ keys work on F13, F14 and Dashboard on F15, in order to have the default F9, F10, F11 in LightWave. And since I tend to play a lot of music while I work, I installed Synergy and have previous track, play/pause, next track and "toggle show iTunes" from F16 to F19. Works like a charm! :)

Oh! It's the aluminum keyboard by the way.
How are you finding lw on snow leapard? I haven't installed it yet, thinking it might be too early...

CC Rider
12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I just bought a Mac Pro within the last month and haven't had any problems at all with SL...the machine is a beast!
(convert from PC as well...)

toby
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Exactly what LightGhost said, I've attached a screenshot.

FYI - Lightwave appears to be moving more towards the standard command+R for rendering, but it's taking me quite awhile to adjust. :D The G5 keyboards were easily balanced between standard function keys and volume control; the "special" keys (volume and eject) replaced f16-f19, without interfering with anything else. Oh well, I certainly prefer the key action on the newer aluminium models, so I suppose it's a trade off I'm willing to make.
Cmd-R is TWO keys, I'm not doin it! Call me a princess but 2 keys is twice as much typing where 1 will do just fine. Imagine typing a post here while having to use cntrl or cmd for each character.

Agreed on the keyboards, plastic one is setup just right but the aluminum one has awesome keys, I'm typing much faster on it after only 1 day.

toby
12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I just bought a Mac Pro within the last month and haven't had any problems at all with SL...the machine is a beast!
(convert from PC as well...)

Good to hear, lw hasn't been quite as stable on 10.5 as it was on 10.4. Mine is only slightly beast-y, it's the 2.8ghz from last year, 'only' 9 times faster than my previous box, but it was dirt cheap.

OlaHaldor
12-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm not having problems with LW in general, but I think there might be something wrong with my GPU, because on GPU intensive stuff (either it's After Effects, Syntheyes, LW or anything else) the program will crash. Time to dig into the simplified world of GPUs for Mac? hmmmm.. And those cards are so expensive!

Anyway, LightWave on SL and a Mac Pro is a winner, no doubt. I know I've said this a billion times - I can't wait for 9.6.1 so I can get to use FPrime with all eight cores instead of two! :D

toby
12-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Jeez, time to make use of that 1-year warranty or applecare eh?

And can you not download 9.6.1? Check your registration page/downloads.

OlaHaldor
12-04-2009, 06:44 AM
There's nothing about 9.6.1, it's in open beta anyways, and the last thing I heard about FPrime and 9.6.1 is "no go".

Hehe, my Mac was bought second hand (saved me over $2000!), early 2008 anyway, so they won't cover it.

dwburman
12-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I have my Exposť and other Apple shortcut keys set up as CMD+Shift+FunctionKeys because the Apple defaults get in the way of Lightwave and Final Cut Pro shortcuts. My fingers fall naturally on the cmd and shift keys so it's generally no more trouble to hit those two modifier keys than it would be for one. I use the Lightwave function keys much more often than I use Exposť features.