PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to texture landscapes for closeup shots

tonybliss
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
mesh weight
testure resoulution
techniques
3rd party software

Matt
12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I would check out Mike Wolf's infiniMap (http://www.infinimap.com/) which allows you to use massive textures using little RAM.

biliousfrog
12-02-2009, 03:40 AM
What kind of landscapes?

I'd generally use tiling textures with procedurals to break things up. As an example, for a road surface, I'd create two similar surfaces each with their own maps for colour, diffuse, specular, bump etc. at around 1024x1024 and use a procedural with a large value to blend between the surfaces to prevent obvious repeating. Depending on your render size you might be able to reduce the textures or need to scale them up.

tonybliss
12-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys ...
I am using 3d coat but the close ups look horrible, and i don't want to use vue at this time since rendertime is limited.
The materials size i am using to paint with in 3dc is 1024 +
i find it odd or i tjhink i am missing something when i try to paint for close ups .. it does not allow me even when i use the material navigation zoom for 'reducing the size :(

tonybliss
12-02-2009, 08:29 AM
@ biliousfwog - its an 8 acre land topo

dwburman
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Could you do another hires map that covers just the detailed area that fades in using a gradient based on camera position?

silviotoledo
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Mesh Weight:
A lot of displacement and normal maps on a low poly mesh
Never use hard mesh.

Best way:
different models for each shots
several procedural layer textures.
small, medium and big tile normal map layers over

Texture Resolution
Not so big, use layers and tile.
small tile for details, medium tile for removing moiré, automatic size low res image to control the full collor.

3rd Party Softwares:
Z brush
Terragen

:)

tonybliss
12-04-2009, 12:49 AM
wow guys thanks
Silvio ... woah ... love the notes thanks mate !!