PDA

View Full Version : Camera rotational axis become coplanar and can't control camera during move

Beerbaron
12-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I have an animation where the camera turns and dives, and at the end of the move, two of the rotational axis are almost coplanar and I can't adjust the camera heading. I can't think of a way around this. It seems to be a weakness in how LW handles camera (and for that matter any object) position. Is there a technique for dealing with this?

JonW
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Parent the camera to a Null then move the null around & when you get to the awkward bit then rotate the camera.

Beerbaron
12-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks!

Ramen Sama
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
would be easier to just change the rotation type from Parent, World, or Local.

Modify-> Coord System->

it's a global effect, so make sure and switch it back when editing something else.

dwburman
12-05-2009, 11:36 AM
For this kind of move, I usually parent the camera to a null like jonW suggested. You can think of the null as the dolly or tripod. :)

JonW
12-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Mr Rid, on his seriously good Squirrel animation http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104227 “used 2 nulls to avoid gimbal lock”.

It was the object & not the camera, but it’s the same situation. The way those squirrels were moving I’m surprised the whole thing didn't lock up!