PDA

View Full Version : a bounce to animate

Marshun
12-01-2009, 01:10 AM
If the following can occur?

One drops a real ball onto a real floor, the real ball WILL hit the real floor and will "bounce" away.

Which tools and interfaces needed for this kind of animating?

flashover
12-01-2009, 02:40 AM
Hard or Soft body Dynamics

Stunt Pixels
12-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Graph editor....

Marshun
12-01-2009, 04:29 AM
Alright ... point me in the right direction and that's where I'll go :) I'm sure I'll run into the rest as I go.

And yes, by "real" I mean this actual and very real plane of existence we actually do habitate.
It's a real ball bouncing on a very real floor. I was going to ask this question differently:

Like how I can give a model of ... say a rock and using it to hit a cake. I was thinking of how to mimic actual, or "real",
physics as they do happen. Mimic reality.

I've kinda always thought that the phrase "virtual reality" was kind of an oxymoron. Virtuous for truthful; reality for factual.
Get this, a definition of virtual reality from the Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary says of the expression as being:

1 n. a technique by which a computer simulates a three-dimensional physical environment using visual and auditory
stimuli with and within which people can interact

2 a computer-generated environment that simulates three-dimensional reality

Though I guess that when we enter a gallery we say what we "see" which is, in reality, mixes of various colors of paint
on a flat and hard surface or canvas that was placed to hang on a wall. Anything else and all we've done is insert
our virtual ownselves. Something like that.

Thanks everyone...

Dodgy
12-01-2009, 04:42 AM
http://www.lightwiki.com/Introduction_to_HardFX

Have a look at that.

Marshun
12-01-2009, 04:53 AM
Oh wow. Thanks Dodgy. I'm sure to like this :)

Marshun
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
While attempting the lightwiki tute, I encountered a couple of minor glitches during construction of the Wall of bricks: 2nd was two bricks did not form correctly as actual bricks. Instead 2 polys formed at 45-degree angles to the horizontal plane. This recurred as I tried again to correct so I left that as it turned out. To specify what happened: I.E., trying to make a cubic box but instead of the polys forming on the outside of the cube, you'd get adjacent polys crossing through the center like an X instead of a perfect square you'd expect of a cube. That was actually the second glitch that occurred. The other when trying to finish the last instruction using the Array Tool's Manual settings caused the wall to form a huge number of extra polys that were well out-of-line with the actual bricks themselves. See attached pic. Results were varied but all had extra polys that screwed up a collection of individual bricks into a typical brick wall. I didn't use the Array tool then. So that probably caused the animation not to work correctly: the ball just flew right through the wall w/o knocking the bricks down. All that happened was watching the ball fly right on through leaving the wall intact. Well At least I got somewhere doing some real stuff here.

I'm early on with this brickwall and ball tute. I intend to keep trying to find out what will work. It's definately my impression that the tute itself is not at fault. It's gotta be something else. Either bugs or I'm still making mistakes here and there. But I'm plugging away at it.

I like this LightWiki.com page. Don't know how big and extensive it is but I have something new to check
out. :)