PDA

View Full Version : Remember that guy (Pantural) who did the very cool car reel?

CGI Addict
11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Well here's his very small short featuring some dino work. This one is just as good as the car reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmA0dOO0GVg&feature=player_embedded

IgnusFast
12-01-2009, 06:55 AM
I love the style and presentation, but the Tyrannosaur was so washed out that it never really looked like it was in the scene...

pmcnamara
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Impressed me !

Titus
12-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I thought a reel with dinosaurs in this industry was a no no.

Mike_RB
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I thought a reel with dinosaurs in this industry was a no no.

Depends on where you're trying to work. I'd imagine if you applied to Weta with a killer dino reel while they were hiring for King Kong you'd be good to go.

I had a 'spaceships only' reel for a while after working on Andromeda. But the value of the production work was worth more than the anti spaceship stigma. It's what got me hired at The Embassy. Now my reels all cars and robots. :)

CGI Addict
12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
What I'm impressed most with is his ability to make his reels look so cool. I like how he took some video of himself that then transformed into his desktop screensaver which then shows his app opening up to reveal a basic Rex rig and then onward from that. The part where he gets chewed up and then back to the dino in the app with fantastic music selection help finish off a very fun reel to watch.

Pantural understands the art of presentation.

biliousfrog
12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
The presentation was better than the content. I got the impression that he was more interested in being famous than anything else...not bad animation by any means but nothing spectacular in the grand scheme of things.

It's sad that I spotted the COD4 music within the first bar.

CGI Addict
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I got the impression that he was more interested in being famous than anything else...

Might be true but hey don't we all want to be famous if even just a tiny bit. I did see some of his earlier reels and he is a major part of those. Hey, he enjoys what he's doing that's for sure.

Nothing wrong with that.

OnlineRender
12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Might be true but hey don't we all want to be famous if even just a tiny bit.

I Don't want to be famous just RICH . :D but personally I'm the biggest show off you can get :D

monovich
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I think the guy is shrewd. The dino work wasn't the most amazing work ever but the guy can entertain, and ultimately that counts for a LOT in this world. I could see him working as a CG guy, but he could also direct equally well, especially with his ability to turn cars on a racetrack and a dino-demo into entertainment.

zarti
12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Remember that guy (Pantural) who did the very cool car reel?

...[/URL]

really nice job and funny too.
why do you write "remember ..."? was he a lw user and a member here?

Nicolas Jordan
12-01-2009, 01:21 PM
That's a really nice reel! :thumbsup: I think as long as something is done really well and presented properly it doesn't really matter what the content is in the reel whether it's space ships,dinosaurs or robots.

Mike_RB
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
presentation: 10
animation and comp work: 6

OnlineRender
12-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Hmm don't know about a 10 , nice concept, nice idea and well executed but not a 10 , It reminds me of the LW animation of the rigged character that's on the desktop and jumps into the real environment ,overall good ! better than most "employable" ,but I reckon any decent artist could do the same , the motion tracking was brief , the general animation was OK but the story held ..

just an opp

biliousfrog
12-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Might be true but hey don't we all want to be famous if even just a tiny bit. .

Maybe, I'd prefer successful over famous but I get your point...I guess my issue with it is that there's easier ways to get your face on Youtube, it came across as very self-indulgent, especially the intro. From an employers perspective, would they hire a guy based on a mediocre reel who seems more interested in promoting his face than improving his work?...Would he be a good team player?

It doesn't matter, just sharing my initial thoughts.

CGI Addict
12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Maybe, I'd prefer successful over famous but I get your point...I guess my issue with it is that there's easier ways to get your face on Youtube, it came across as very self-indulgent, especially the intro. From an employers perspective, would they hire a guy based on a mediocre reel who seems more interested in promoting his face than improving his work?...Would he be a good team player?

It doesn't matter, just sharing my initial thoughts.

Agreed. I initially didn't pay much attention to whether his ego might be the bigger part of his reel. I just thought the presentation warranted a link for this audience. I can see where you're going as far as employers' seeing something completely different.

I guess there's perhaps more than one lesson to be learned with this reel. His car reel stood on it's own and is fantastic though. For those of you who haven't seen it and wonder to what I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHD8Xf5Rnvo

Titus
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I guess there's perhaps more than one lesson to be learned with this reel. His car reel stood on it's own and is fantastic though. For those of you who haven't seen it and wonder to what I'm referring to:

Fron the YT link:

"All animation working time: 5 days... Rendering time: 110 days... Used: 3ds max 2008 ... "

Matt
12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
It's better than I could do, but I preferred the car reel by far.

Andyjaggy
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
It's better than I could do, but I preferred the car reel by far.

Yeah the car real was really well done, this one looked like something he threw together rather quickly.

As for a reels containing only dinosaurs or a spaceship only reel. Who cares. I at least wouldn't necassarily care about the content so much as the quality of the content. If someone could show with a spaceship reel that they have an incredible eye for detail and high standard level then I would assume they would show that same attention to detail and quality level working on something that wasn't spaceships.

jasonwestmas
12-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Subject matter :1

but I guess that is besides the point. I think I saw something like this before but I just can't place my finger on it. :)

biliousfrog
12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Agreed. I initially didn't pay much attention to whether his ego might be the bigger part of his reel. I just thought the presentation warranted a link for this audience. I can see where you're going as far as employers' seeing something completely different.

I saw the car reel for the first time today and it is exceptional...although (ultra picky head on) it didn't feel very well planned or well directed in places and the bad spelling bothered me...but it was a huge accomplishment.

BigHache
12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Hmm don't know about a 10 , nice concept, nice idea and well executed but not a 10 ..

Mike's rating system goes all the way to 11. :D

I enjoy the work, it's a fun watch.