PDA

View Full Version : On Screen Info for animation sequences?

Ramen Sama
11-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi, i'm working on a game project and doing all the animations i can in one scene file. after awhile it's become a bit difficult to distinguish between which frame ranges belong that a certain animation for the the game.

Basically, is there a way i can have something on screen tell me while i'm within say 100-200, that i'm currently in the "Swim" animation, and 200-300 is for "Attack"

I'm sure i'll need some sorta plugin, but i was hoping someone out there has had a similiar problem and found a solution.

Dexter2999
11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
HI

Well, there is a function for putting notes on screen. You could set those to let you know what frame sequence you are in.

You could try using IKBoost which would let you save out the movements and recall them as you like.

Or you could save out each movement as it's own scene inside your project folder.

Or, you could make a large poly and give it a texture with a color code and the name of whatever movement and have it behind your model. Just make sure to check all the stuff off like "Unseen by camera", "Casts shadows", "Receives Shadows", then Keyframe the poly to be seen for the duration of the movement. So, when working on a movement of a character there would be a big sign in the background saying something like "Spinning Back Kick" on a red background (just an example.)

Good Luck

Ramen Sama
12-02-2009, 03:27 AM
happen to know how to access this "notes" function? been using lightwave for years.. don't think i've stumbled on that one.

I do use IKBoost and regular IK combined. I'll try saving off the motions as well and see if that works for my needs.

Dexter2999
12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Actually, the term used in the program is "Item Comments" not "notes" (my bad).
It is under Plug Ins.
It gives you a prompt to type in some text.
Then you go to an item (camera, light, object... I suggest using a null) and on it's properties panel, on the geometry tab>add custom object>Item comment display.

So if you assign that to a null and place that null on screen for the duration of the move, then move it far off screen when not in use, you will have a way of adding those on screen comments without adding geometry.
You just add a null for each pose and you can even name the null the same as the pose comment.

The only thing is, I wish you could change the size/font of the note. But as it is I only see where you can change colors and justification.

With your use in mind, it might be nice to have a "Scene Comments" function where the text displayed could be set with keyframes.
Might be doable with an Lscript? Dunno, haven't done any coding since High School many, many years ago.

Just throwing it out there. Hope it helps.

evenflcw
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Just curious. Why is size and font of importance? The answer might be obvious and I might have my own ideas why. But I'd still like to know why you think this. :)

BTW, the dopetrack has markers that can be named. So when you scroll to that time, it displays the marker text in the info area. No ranges though.

Dexter2999
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Size is important because I find the font a little small, so I find myself squinting to read it. Not that bad but I think for prolonged use it is just asking for eyestrain and a new perscription. Part of it could be because I like to work with four viewports. Maybe if I worked in a single viewport the font would be larger and easier to read. But why should a font size limitation dictate how I have to have my viewports?

I'd like to have a choice of fonts. Not so much for aesthetics but to make it easier to read.
I think a fat bold white font would be easier to read than red or green text in the system font. A nice smooth sans serif font like a Tahoma Bold or Arial Blk.

Just my two cents.

Ramen Sama
05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Wanted to bump this... Anyone have any more ideas? it's still rather annoying not having this info on screen

Andrewstopheles
05-12-2010, 12:24 AM
+1

Dexter2999
05-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Doesn't put the info on the screen but for making and saving poses, have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClYdWYz8f4

Ramen Sama
05-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Well i'm working on a game, and for simplicity, i'm putting all the animations for the character in one scene, as there's not really an easy way of tranfersing rigs between scenes. Because of this, the scene will get large and it becomes hard to remember where one "animation" begins, and another, etc. When i import into Unity3d, i can specify the frame range for each animation.

I like an interactive onscreen reminder of what's going on at any one time. Surely there has to be some way i could simply put anywhere on the screen information that can change based on the current frame.

Dexter2999
05-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Putting all poses in one scene is not simplicity. You could have 100 poses that have 60 frames each. There is nothing simple about that.
Simple is having a 60 frame animation do your pose, then SAVE AS naming the new scene file with name of the pose. Save all poses into a folder appropriately named.

rdrdrd23
05-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Ughgh.... its a bane of anyones life who've used LW in a game dev environment.
What I've done typically is to save the `link` pose(s) at frame -1 (or -10, -20 or wherever), then you've got a fixed point to copy from in order to get your `into` and `out of`blends right.

Then I've had each anim as a seperate scene. This made things simple for anyone working in a team environment, where you might have more than one person animating. Also meant that if need be, it was very easy to shorten, lengthen, or make backward playing anims easy to achieve, without having to go back and adjust any `info` nodes or records in your scene, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure there's pros and cons of each system, and everyone will have `their way`, but its seemed to have worked okay for me so far.

good luck anyway, and dont forget to let us all have a look at the fruits of your labours!