PDA

View Full Version : Capture problem

tomahack
09-02-2003, 12:22 PM
I tried to capture a few clips on my BRD-85U using the batch capture utility. I manually entered an in point of 8.00.00 and out point of 8.10.00 for a duration time of 10 seconds. The resulting clip was 8 frames too long and the associate time code was 7.24.14 for the in point and 7.32.21 for the out point.The differences were always the same from clips to clips. Anything I missed?

James Killian
09-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Perhaps the main thing to check is that your timecode on your deck matches that which is displayed on the TimeCode readout in batchcapture. Make sure your deck settings are using the default "LTC VITC" Timecode mode setting... and your deck is set to "TC" (of CTL, TC, U-Bit or of 'Counter', 'TC', 'Dial Menu'). The other thing to verify is what the actual frames which were captured are vs. what timecode they were associated with match. On many decks you can do this by turning on the burn-in timecode... you can then either put the clip in TED (drag it from the filebin to ted)... and playback in local time mode... or go into the ../NewTekInfo/*.avi.Timecode and read this text file and see what timecode was actually captured (This should always try to closely match your inpoint. One final note... the duration of the captured file will include a default padding of 1 second... and also there may be extra padding of up to 8 frames.

tomahack
09-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks James! I manage to match the timecode from the tape to the clips but they are always 4 frames longer than captured. Is it possible to get rid of that extra padding besides the usual 1 second before and after the in and out point? For example, if I enter an in point of 1.00.00 and an out point of 1.10.00, I will get a clip from 59.00 to 1.11.04.

James Killian
09-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Yes this is correct, and it occurs because it has been designed to write 8 packets of frames at a time. I have considered your request way back when I wrote this; however I decided against it, in favor of better stability, and better performance. I have reviewed this part of the code again, and still have formed the same conclusions.

Note: When the capture is complete the In and Out points will set to the times you specified.

tomahack
09-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, the outpoint specified in the batch capture utility does not correspond to the clip digitized. I get a variation from 2 to 6 frames depending on the length of the clip.

James Killian
09-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Go ahead and shoot me an email... and we can go from there.