PDA

View Full Version : Image woes

Eroneouse
11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Hello folks I have a problem with a woodland scene which is this... I have a still image of a local woodland and I am trying to make it so over a 5 or 6 second animation a smallish fairy type light rises from the undergrowth trailing pixie dust particles, flys around a tree and disappears My double sided flat plane which I place in front of the light at ground level is ok though the edges still show but I think thats one of the surface propertys settings so I can fix that once I find the right setting so not a prob in itself. But the image behind my second flat plane being fronted on to it seems a half inch or so offset so if I set my plane in front of say a slim treetrunk then the plane shows not the tree trunk but rather the foliage just to the left of the tree trunk, in order to make it show the tree trunk I have to place the flat plane object to the right of the tree by a small amount which ruins the whole shot.

I want my light to appear at ground level as though rising out of the bluebell ground growth and fly up the left side of the tree then circle round behind and back in front of the tree and then fly off left and disappear from shot altogether over about 5 seconds overall. The light leaves pixie dust particles behind it too as it flys. This is not a serious project at all btw just something I am doing for fun to get the settings right for future stuff that might/will need it. I can upload to photobucket and link if that would help if my explanation is not too clear.

Link to small clip to show problem in action... http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg162/Eroneouse/th_pixiedust3.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg162/Eroneouse/?action=view&current=pixiedust3.flv)

Which seems to play twice as fast as it should. If you look at anything else on my photobucket album the 3D creatures are from a game called Spore and the ships from pirates of the burning sea, a song clip called " The Man Song " is mandatory for all kings of their castles to watch :)

Eroneouse
12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
85 views and no thoughts from anyone about how I can make the background image line up with the image being fronted onto a flat plane object ?
I have tried useing the fixed projection toggle but that did not seem to fix anything anywhere, also tried moving the flat polygon object back beyond the cameras focus point and moved it nearer to the camera but that too did not resolve the problem. I have been through what documentation I have on projection and fixed projection images but not found anything yet about this lil prob I have.

I have found an X,Y,Z scaleing option under the same tab/window as world coordinates toggle that makes me think I would be able to enter new co-ordinates into the Z or X coordinate to move the image along so it lines up properly but for what ever reason unknown to me at this time when I click in the values area nothing happens, its as though those boxes are greyed out without being greyed as it were.

As you can see from the previous post image the light is level with a tree trunk and half way between the light and the floor the foliage that overlaps the tree trunk is my flat plane object displaying the foliage to the left of the trunk rather than the trunk directly behind it
Hopeing for a reply from anyone who can shed a little light on this :)

BigHache
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
This isn't exactly the answer you've asked for, but typically something like this would best be executed with Photoshop to create a good alpha mask around the image, and then clean up the background image to not have that element (the tree in this case). Using a plane would usually create very harsh edges and gives you no room to soften the edges for compositing.

As a faster option, you could change your mapping to Planar to move the image.

biliousfrog
12-03-2009, 02:48 AM
I'd use a compositing application such as After Effects. There's no reason why you couldn't do it all in Lightwave but it's not the ideal tool for the job.

Have a look through the video copilot tutorials, it might give you some ideas that you can transfer over to Lightwave: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/

Eroneouse
12-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Thank you both for you're thoughts on this. I shall try changeing the projection to planar on the object first of all and try to rescale/reposition the image to fit better then see what I can do to blend out the edges. I do not have Pshop I have a free art package called GIMP instead, at least for the moment and I have only used it so far to make a few basic textures for models I am not fully conversant with alpha channels. Nor do I have any software like after effects atm. I have to make lightwave make me enough money to buy those packages before I buy them but sadly that means I have to get good with lightwave first, which will take a lil bit of time methinks.

Happily I have a partner who is happy to support me for a year or two while I chase this dream of breaking free from warehouse/factory type jobs. Thank you for the link to those tutorials, thats another site added to my bookmarks :D much appreciated.

BigHache
12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Maltaanon (http://maltaannon.com/) also has some good tutorials.

GIMP should be able to get you by with what you need.

A lot of the principles in the tutorials on After Effects regarding 3D layers can carry into Lightwave, it's just a lot quicker to work and see results as you go with a compositing program.

toby
12-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Silly question, but is you projection camera the same camera that you're rendering with, it needs to be exact in this case.

And I might've understood your first post if your writing weren't so bad, you'll get help much more often if you make things clear and easy to read.

Eroneouse
12-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Silly question, but is you projection camera the same camera that you're rendering with, it needs to be exact in this case.

And I might've understood your first post if your writing weren't so bad, you'll get help much more often if you make things clear and easy to read.

I have only one camera in the scene and I am guessing this is the root of my problem here IE I should have 2 cameras, one to project and one to record yes ?

As to my writing well it is what it is and as long as the spellings are more or less correct enough to be understood I am happy with it, well I have to be happy with it as I can only write what I write in the way I write it. I never went a huge bundle on grammar and missed a lot of schooling due to illness and family moveing around a lot, out of around 13 years or so of standard schooling I missed out on about 5 or 6 years in total so have always been a little behind in the academic stakes but tried to not let it hold me back too much. However that said I will try to make things as clear as I can for folks as I would not want to not be able to get help due to someone not understanding my text.

So then 2 cameras for the scene is next experiment for pixitests.

I actually went a different way earlier than suggested as it seemed to work out for what I wanted to happen, though I do intend to bury myself in alpha channels for a day or two to glean some better understanding of this technique. I stretched the object that was to display the tree trunk along the Y axis so it went from top to bottom of shot and positioned it so it displayed said trunk and then left it as was so it added a tree trunk to the scene :) photobucket for pixietest4 >
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg162/Eroneouse/th_pixiedust4.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg162/Eroneouse/?action=view&current=pixiedust4.flv)

It was a quick n dirty way to do it, off to read up on alpha channels and try two cameras while I am reading and thanks again for all thoughts/suggestions.

oobievision
12-05-2009, 09:21 AM
well I would suggest making flat polys like the tree trunk so u can make a mask out of it later.

dwburman
12-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Yup, you want to use two cameras for this kind of front projection... at least if you want to move the camera.

It also helps to have two versions of the image, one with tree in it that will be applied to the tree plane/object, and one with the tree painted out for the background.

You may want to look for tutorials on 2.5D techniques.