PDA

View Full Version : Lights thru double-sided polys

Marshun
11-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's another thing I've been ignoring for the longest time: I thought that opting to double-side any polys in the surface editor was supposed to block volumetric lights along with lens flared lights. But those lights break on through to the other side ... enabling one to see those lights!

Is that supposed to be or did I miss something?!?

*Not including transparent polys

Sensei
11-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Assuming that you have enabled RayTracing options in Render Globals, I would say it's bug.. But it would be better you to include example scene for confirmation. And you will have something to send to NewTek bug report..

nanaboso
11-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Did you remember to tick off "fade behind objects" for the lens flare?

Marshun
11-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Assuming that you have enabled RayTracing options in Render Globals, I would say it's bug.. But it would be better you to include example scene for confirmation. And you will have something to send to NewTek bug report..

Yes, Sensei, RayTrace is enabled. And no nanaboso, it was me not toggling that "fade..." check-box.

Now it's working. Figured I was missing something ... usually is.

Did you remember to tick off "fade behind objects" for the lens flare?

Thanks to both of you. :)

Eroneouse
11-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Ha ha I had exactly the same problem 2 days ago with a still woodland image with a glowy ball appearing at frame 10 and takeing off and disappearing, problem was you could still see the glowy ball behind my double sided flat plane meant to hide it till frame 10. Same cure here too, ticking the fade behind toggle fixed it :)

Marshun
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
That's good to hear, Eroneouse. I was about to think I was the only one puttin' up with this one. Thought it to be a bug. But I had the same "problem" recur in other lw versions too. Glad it turned out it was just me. :)

Eroneouse
11-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Indeed :) I have a new problem with that same scene now but I put it in its own thread as didn't want to hijack.

:thumbsup:

Marshun
11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Doesn't matter as I'm done here now that I have a solution.

Eroneouse
11-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Well the problem I have with that scene now is I have 2 flat planes so as to create the illusion the light appears from undergrowth and circles a tree before flying off but the still woodland image being fronted onto my hide behind flat planes seems offset by a small amount.