PDA

View Full Version : IK is OK

Richard Hebert
11-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,

When using IK in 9.6 is it necessary to use bones? I'm trying to test IK functions on a landing gear. I've set up pivots in each of the 3 segments that fold up and I'm wanting to use IK to collapse the leg. Any tutorials out there that deal with IK rigging without reference to bones? A tut that deals with complex mechanical setups would be great.

Thanks,
Richard

RebelHill
11-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Ik works with anything, at its heart its just a tool for auto rotating items in a hierarchy. Most stuff deals with bones, but the principles are exactly the same, just try to think of each piece of the hierarchy as an item, rather than a bone, mesh, whatever.

Richard Hebert
11-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the Rapido Response. I thought that might be the case but this part of the software is really new to me. I'm having problems establishing an IK chain with those 3 arms. Can you recommend a tut that deals with complex mechanics (a detailed landing gear being retracted complete with hoses)? I have a feeling that this landing gear is going to get really complex really fast and I'd like to have something to refer to when it happens. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Richard

shrox
11-28-2009, 11:40 AM
You don't even need bones for that, just use the pieces themselves.

Richard Hebert
11-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey Rebel, just watched your wip... that's frickin hilarious!

Richard

SplineGod
11-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Generally the issue you run into with objects vs bones is the location of the pivot points. Sometimes you may want to insert a null or two to act as pivot points.
You can also use bones as pivot points and parent your objects to those.

Richard Hebert
11-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks Spline, I'm getting a better idea of what's happening. If I wanted to use IK for initial placement and then refine the placement by rotating the object manually, can this be done?

Richard

SplineGod
11-28-2009, 10:57 PM
I would get the placement and pivot points setup first then apply the IK.