PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 has outstayed it's welcome

biliousfrog
11-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Just got to get this off my chest...

Windows 7 is making my life hell and it seems that I'm not alone :bangwall:

My new machine has been running happily for several weeks as a render node. I've stress tested it, run memtest, monitor all the temps with Everest...made sure that it was rock solid before switching over to it as my new workstation...and it has been great with Lightwave and Photoshop.

The problem is that when I try to use After Effects or Premiere the computer will randomly restart...no BSOD, just switches off and restarts. I obviously checked that it wasn't set to auto-restart on a blue screen, I ran memtest for 11hrs with no errors, checked and swapped all the cables inside the computer, tested the HD's, updated all drivers, set the components back to stock settings...there doesn't seem to be anything wrong physically but if I run AE or Premiere it's as if the plug has been pulled out of the wall.

I've checked the logs and the only problem that is flagged up is 'Event ID 41' which is a general note that the computer was shut down unexpectedly and there might be a hardware problem......well, it does appear that it might be a hardware problem until you type 'Windows 7 event id 41' or 'Windows 7 random reboot' into Google. It appears that this is an extremely common problem with Windows 7 users, even during the beta.

Many, like myself, have managed to run Vista and XP on the same PC without any problems so it's extremely unlikely to be hardware related. Most also report that it isn't neccessarily the intensive operations that are causing the reboot. In my case I have stressed the system for hours with Everest, Prime95 and rendering without issue. Others have reported playing games and also running stress tests yet the PC will reboot consistently when browsing the web or running media player.

So I'm now about to re-install CS3 on my old workstation and will have to switch between the two. When I get a chance I will remove Windows 7 and either go back to XP or Vista. It's a shame but it's obvious that Microsoft are in denial about a major problem with their new OS and have been since the early beta's.

cresshead
11-28-2009, 08:50 AM
it's never 'clever' to be an early adopter :devil:

i'll stick with xp and vista for now...vista is still annoying but it's stable
and xp is just fantastic

i've also heard bad things about the latest osx release...
the early bird catches a cold....
:D

biliousfrog
11-28-2009, 09:00 AM
it's never 'clever' to be an early adopter :devil:

i'll stick with xp and vista for now...vista is still annoying but it's stable
and xp is just fantastic

i've also heard bad things about the latest osx release...
the early bird catches a cold....
:D

Well, that's why I stuck with XP for so long. I got Vista with a free upgrade to Windows 7 and, as it's basically an upgraded version of Vista, I figured that it would be solid. I hadn't heard anything but praise for Win 7 and the beta/RC stage was supposed to iron out any problems but it seems that this problem has always been there and is being brushed under the carpet by MS.

I'll admit that if I didn't use Premiere or After Effects I would have been 100% happy with it. It's just lucky that I discovered this now rather than the middle of next week.

Sekhar
11-28-2009, 09:11 AM
It seems a bit presumptuous to blame Win7 before you really understand the source of the issue, especially if you're only having problem with the Adobe stuff. I'd check the Adobe forums (http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/), they usually have some good answers.

biliousfrog
11-28-2009, 09:21 AM
It seems a bit presumptuous to blame Win7 before you really understand the source of the issue, especially if you're only having problem with the Adobe stuff. I'd check the Adobe forums (http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/), they usually have some good answers.

It was the first place I checked. I couldn't find any threads with non-BSOD or non-hardware related crashes.

The problem is that any searches for systems rebooting without a BSOD immediately throw up hardware issues. The moment that you add Windows 7 to the searches you discover hundreds of threads with people having the same problems...different hardware, different software but same OS and same problem.

It's extremely unlikely that a software or driver issue would cause a system reboot without throwing a BSOD and a hardware problem would be present with any operating system...by eliminating a hardware issue and a software issue you're left with the single element that links all of those threads together - Windows 7.

jasonwestmas
11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the warning anyway. Sorry about your troubles.

I have bad luck with video drivers and game engines.

caesar
11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
All I can say that I using Win 7 totally perfect. Vista was a doom machine for me, I kept it for 3 months and gave up.
Im also using Leopard, no problemas at all.

warrenwc
11-28-2009, 10:04 AM
PhotoshopCS3 has been rock solid for me under Vista64 &Win7 64.
I DID have to put After effects & Premier(elements) back on XP.
I think it't more of an Adobe problem personally.
I know that they break certain OS "guidlines" in the name of copy protection.:compbeati

COBRASoft
11-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Perhaps your new machine is overclocked? In that case, it's possible you will have to put the voltages a littlebit higher, or make the OC a little less. I've had certain random crashes here, all related to my overclocking and not enough voltage to the CPU. This is all fixed now and everything works as smooth as possible.

Ernest
11-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm trying to think what AFX and Premiere have in common that LW and Photoshop don't. Sound?

Matt
11-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Tempting fate here, but I've not had a single BSOD with Windows 7 at all.

I used to get that computer switching off for no reason issue on XP when playing Crysis, I narrowed it down to either my PSU or graphics card, but never quite figured out which as I replaced both and the problem went away.

warrenwc
11-28-2009, 01:02 PM
I've had no BSODs either, but I HAVE had a couple of apps(After effects, Premier) lockup so bad I had to restart.
I mean with the power button because it was frozen totally.
I do not overclock & I have no problem with LW cranking all 8 virtual cores at 100%.

JohnMarchant
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Well horses for courses. Ive used W7 since beta and never had any problems with it and a damn sight less that i had with vista even with its service packs.

jwiede
11-28-2009, 01:35 PM
It appears some of the "event 41" occurrences may be related to faulty power management BIOS settings (or in how Win7 applies those settings). Many of the folks having issues seem to find disabling C-state power management makes the problem incidence stop, though that's a cruddy work-around.

There are lots of potential fail points in that particular code path, including BIOS manuf., CPU vendor, and MS. It's a bit premature to blame the problem on MS. Power management is one of those situations where Windows has to rely heavily on ACPI tables and settings passed from BIOS, and even the big OEMs (Dell, HP) often configure them incorrectly.

jasonwestmas
11-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Tempting fate here, but I've not had a single BSOD with Windows 7 at all.

I used to get that computer switching off for no reason issue on XP when playing Crysis, I narrowed it down to either my PSU or graphics card, but never quite figured out which as I replaced both and the problem went away.

Yeah Problems like this are usually always driver or video card related ime.

Stooch
11-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Says who? All I'm hearing are a bunch of frustrated assumptions... If I quit using lIghtwave every time it crashed... I wold have quit cg industry a decade ago. But congratulations for your productive rant. I'm sure windows is scared to lose you as it's user and will proceed to fix itself in order to avoid further defamation in this forum.

It was the first place I checked. I couldn't find any threads with non-BSOD or non-hardware related crashes.

The problem is that any searches for systems rebooting without a BSOD immediately throw up hardware issues. The moment that you add Windows 7 to the searches you discover hundreds of threads with people having the same problems...different hardware, different software but same OS and same problem.

It's extremely unlikely that a software or driver issue would cause a system reboot without throwing a BSOD and a hardware problem would be present with any operating system...by eliminating a hardware issue and a software issue you're left with the single element that links all of those threads together - Windows 7.

IgnusFast
11-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I've been running Win 7 on three different machines since the beta, and have had no crash issues at all. And I *really* abuse my main machine with extended rendering and gaming sessions. Of course, I don't run any Adobe malware, so...

Just so you know, I'm a Vista hater and Mac owner, so I'm not a Microsoft apologist. :)

Stooch
11-28-2009, 04:12 PM
ive had crashes with all software and all platforms....

ive had the MOST crashes with XP... especially when it first came out. so its hillarious to see people rip on brand new software. not that anyone cares anyway. but seriously... just switch to what you want to switch and dont bother making posts, they are not going to fix your issue, im not even sure what posting about this is trying to achieve??? are you trying to get others to stop using win7 becaus of your problems or something? i certainly dont have an urge to switch to XP... and ill be honest, windows 7 has blue screened on me... as expected from a pre release. my gold release DVD hasnt gotten to me in the mail yet but quite frankly, so far any inconvenience caused to me, hasnt even approached the BS i went through with earlier software. to be honest, so far BY FAR the most crashes i have experienced were directly caused by software such as lightwave, maya, houdini and realflow.

am I going to abandon using that software or revert to early versions??? hell no... that would be stupid. I just report my issues through the easiest channels and let the devs do their thing...

mav3rick
11-28-2009, 04:35 PM
while we are on windows 7... i am runing 64 bit professional version .. so far all things work except modeler 9.6 32 bit ?? any1 experience same problem?

OnlineRender
11-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Iv'e been on win 7 for ageees ,way back and it had it faults but generaly worked ok ,but I updated to offical product "wife got it mega cheap via work " and it now the software constantly jams.........................nightmare .....

back to windows bashing Blackcomb .......

cresshead
11-28-2009, 04:59 PM
so ya think it's a adobe problem or a microsoft problem?

mav3rick
11-28-2009, 05:11 PM
adobe

cagey5
11-28-2009, 05:52 PM
If nobody reported problems then nobody would be any the wiser. I'm grateful for any piece of information that may sway my decision process. It may not affect MS at all, I doubt it will sway the course of history but it makes me think twice and make sure I do a bit of digging before I tread that path.
So give me all the feedback there is to give and I'll make my own decisions. Rather that than stumble in the dark.

Silkrooster
11-28-2009, 09:45 PM
My guess is windows 7 is too new for there to be any complaints on Adobe's forums. I am betting you are one of the first of many to come. Since it seams to be Adobe only problem, then it must be their software. But then again Adobe and Microsoft have argued before that it was the others fault.

Did you say that updating is turned off? On my XP system that is the only thing that reboots my system.

biliousfrog
11-29-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm not bashing Windows 7 or Microsoft or Adobe, just venting some frustration. Personally, I really like Windows 7 and it is rock solid 99.9% of the time it's just that I've discovered an alarming amount of people with a catastrophic problem that only occurs in that 0.1% of times.

My main reason for posting, aside from just venting, is that others might find some of the information useful, especially if I can find a solution.

I've not had a single BSOD with Windows 7 although a few lock-ups here and there. The issue I'm having is complete power failure, as if the plug has been pulled.

Going logically through things, the system is attached to an APC UPS, every component is brand new, no memory or HD errors, no over heating, stress tested for hours with stock settings and overclocked, works flawlessly with Windows 7 and Vista, all drivers up to date.

Most obvious problem is defective/underpowered PSU. It's a brand new, Corsair modular 750W, single rail PSU and works flawlessly unless running After Effects and Premiere. It also works flawlessy in Vista when running AE/Premiere, the whole system does.

Next step, After Effects and Premiere. I've experienced software issues before, usually driver problems, I've never known a software problem to restart a computer without a BSOD but I'm open to the suggestion. If it was a common problem I would've expected to see at least one mention of it somewhere on the internet, especially as many creative types jumped onto the Windows 7 beta. So far I haven't discovered anything to suggest that AE/Premiere is the direct cause of the problem, just that something they are doing probably is.

Finally, Windows 7:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off&q=windows+7+event+id+41+no+bsod&meta=&aq=f&oq=windows+7+event+id+41+no+bsod&fp=d45e652ab32f50f3

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off&q=windows+7+event+id+41&meta=&aq=f&oq=windows+7+event+id+41&fp=d45e652ab32f50f3

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=windows+7+reboot+no+bsod&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=windows+7+reboot+no+bsod&fp=d45e652ab32f50f3

Different hardware, different software, same problem. Some of the problems are hardware related, some are fixed by adjusting the power management but all of the ones relating to specific software causing the reboots are apparently unfixable at this time.

So, for me, it is just a problem with AE/Premiere but whatever it is that they're doing to cause the reboot is also being done by everything from browsers to media players on other people's systems...it's just pot luck what application is going to do it.

Although I accept that the Adobe apps might be part of the cause in my case, looking at the evidence it would seem that they are just the trigger for whatever the underlying issue is with Windows 7.

OnlineRender
11-29-2009, 06:30 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Problems solved :D

cagey5
11-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Have to agree. Tis my main OS system now, though a recent upgrade to Karmic caused me a whole heap of problems pushing me back to the comfort of Jaunty.

Just wish Lightwave was on Linux and I'd have very little reason to boot Windows at all.

OnlineRender
11-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I think you can get it on Linux ????????

cagey5
11-29-2009, 09:04 AM
No. Only Core.

OnlineRender
11-29-2009, 09:05 AM
No. Only Core.

Good :D

biliousfrog
11-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Not really a solution to running windows apps though is it

OnlineRender
11-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Not really a solution to running windows apps though is it

http://www.winehq.org/

biliousfrog
11-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Going back to running a 32bit OS equivilent of XP but less stable just to avoid using Windows seems a bit pointless. I can see some vaild points for using Linux but for the vast majority of people it's going to cause a lot of headaches because it's not designed for the general public.

OnlineRender
11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
that's the great thing about dual boot :D

Ernest
11-29-2009, 10:36 AM
It seems that a lot of people are seeing this spontaneous reboot issue with downloaded versions of Windows 7. Microsoft is recommending that if you got your copy from their download store, or digital river, you should burn the disk at the slowest possible speed. When it's burned at a slightly higher speed and you use it to install the OS, it will randomly reboot.

(I would still test premiere with the sound chip disabled, just in case.)

ted
11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm "HARDLY" a computer expert, :tsktsk: but the only time we've had this happen it turned out to be a power supply problem. Certain applications triggered it for some reason???
Not saying this is it, but it's the only thing that ever caused this on our systems.

biliousfrog
11-29-2009, 10:55 AM
It seems that a lot of people are seeing this spontaneous reboot issue with downloaded versions of Windows 7. Microsoft is recommending that if you got your copy from their download store, or digital river, you should burn the disk at the slowest possible speed. When it's burned at a slightly higher speed and you use it to install the OS, it will randomly reboot.

(I would still test premiere with the sound chip disabled, just in case.)

I'll try it without the sound when I get a chance.

I got the disc direct from MS, it's the full release version, a free upgrade from Vista Business x64. I installed it clean after reformatting the Vista install.

jasonwestmas
11-29-2009, 10:59 AM

Are you using that with 64 bit windows apps?

adamredwoods
11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Could be one of those combination problems-- where it takes a certain hardware/software combo to fail. Very very difficult to track down.

I'd blame Obama and apply for a bailout.

geothefaust
11-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I had this same issueson Win7 as well, but I solved it. I disconnected all non-essential hardware and uninstalled their drivers one at a time. Then when that didn't solve my issue, I started going through essential drivers and rolling them back. Still no luck, until I got to my Wacom drivers. Wacom updated their drivers on 20OCT09 and it seems that those particular drivers were causing all sorts of programs to crash; From Lightwave and 3DCoat, to Photoshop, AfterEffects and even Camtasia. Once I figured this out, I was good to go... I haven't had a single problem with any programs since.

So, definitely check your wacom drivers, use the next previous version down from the 20OCT09 drivers (I believe it is APR09) for Vista, they work on Win7 with no problems.

JMCarrigan
11-29-2009, 09:08 PM
.... So, definitely check your wacom drivers, use the next previous version down from the 20OCT09 drivers (I believe it is APR09) for Vista, they work on Win7 with no problems.

This is out now too: Driver 6.1.2-5 for USB Tablets on Windows 7, Vista & XP (32 & 64 bit) Release Date: Nov. 25, 2009 Size: 13.4MB

http://www.wacom.com/downloads/driver-detail.php?id=200

assuming Cintiq 21 UX. It may be the same for others.

[edit more info]
The driver supports the USB versions of all Intuos4 (PTK), Intuos3 (PTZ), Intuos2 (XD), Intuos (GD),
CintiqPartner & Graphire2 (ET-0405A) pen tablets and the Cintiq 12WX, 20WSX, 21UX, 18SX, & 15X
pen displays.
The driver can be downloaded from WTC’s website at www.wacom.com/productsupport/select.cfm. Save
the file to your computer and then double-click on it to launch the installer.

Larry_g1s
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I haven't had any issues with with the adobe products on Win7 64bit, but they're CS4 not CS3.

geothefaust
11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey thanks JM!!! Appreciate it. I'll check those drivers out once I finish up this project I'm working right now. :)

I see they removed those OCT drivers finally... They were complete rubbish.

Silkrooster
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Microsoft is recommending that if you got your copy from their download store, or digital river, you should burn the disk at the slowest possible speed. When it's burned at a slightly higher speed and you use it to install the OS, it will randomly reboot.

I hate to say it, but that sounds like a crock. Now if it stopped the install from working, then maybe. But for it to introduce a bug, nah I don't think it could. It sounds more like Microsoft is pushing the blame back onto the user.

OnlineRender
11-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Thread jack time : My insurance paid up to day , my office aka spare room got flooded alot of damage ,bluescreen material and so on , but I have set £400 to one side to build a pc or buy another laptop for the wife , I reckon I can build a good solid workstation for that kinda doh .... or go crazy and sign-up for HC hmm or strippers :) any productive suggestion how i can turn this cash into an investment .

biliousfrog
11-30-2009, 03:38 AM
I had this same issueson Win7 as well, but I solved it. I disconnected all non-essential hardware and uninstalled their drivers one at a time. Then when that didn't solve my issue, I started going through essential drivers and rolling them back. Still no luck, until I got to my Wacom drivers. Wacom updated their drivers on 20OCT09 and it seems that those particular drivers were causing all sorts of programs to crash; From Lightwave and 3DCoat, to Photoshop, AfterEffects and even Camtasia. Once I figured this out, I was good to go... I haven't had a single problem with any programs since.

So, definitely check your wacom drivers, use the next previous version down from the 20OCT09 drivers (I believe it is APR09) for Vista, they work on Win7 with no problems.

Where you getting a BSOD?

This is out now too: Driver 6.1.2-5 for USB Tablets on Windows 7, Vista & XP (32 & 64 bit) Release Date: Nov. 25, 2009 Size: 13.4MB

http://www.wacom.com/downloads/driver-detail.php?id=200

assuming Cintiq 21 UX. It may be the same for others.

[edit more info]
The driver supports the USB versions of all Intuos4 (PTK), Intuos3 (PTZ), Intuos2 (XD), Intuos (GD),
CintiqPartner & Graphire2 (ET-0405A) pen tablets and the Cintiq 12WX, 20WSX, 21UX, 18SX, & 15X
pen displays.
The driver can be downloaded from WTC’s website at www.wacom.com/productsupport/select.cfm. Save
the file to your computer and then double-click on it to launch the installer.

Thanks, I'm downloading it now, I'll let you know whether it works.

OnlineRender
11-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Are you using that with 64 bit windows apps?

Sorry didn't see your post .... YES Some Work (unstable at times) ... but I booted up today and the dreaded HARD DRIVE FAILURE IS Imminent popped up ,that's the great thing about linux it dosn't lie about your system .

I know you can get 9.5 to work decent on ubuntu I don't know about 9.6.1

but I use Blender on Linux for the sheer reason that bake times are so much faster ..

and so my wife cant get onto my syst3m . if its not windows she's gimped !

biliousfrog
11-30-2009, 05:13 AM
I might have found a solution, just re-rendered the same project twice without a reboot but I'm not counting my chickens yet.

I've noticed that my HD's power down after 10 minutes or so of being idle...nothing particularly unusual but there has been a lot of reports relating to the power saving features so I decided to dig a bit deeper. I'd already disabled most of the features after I first noticed this problem but the HD's were set to spin down after 10 minutes. I set it to 0 (never) and Premiere worked fine.

I can't figure out why that would be the problem as the drives would be in use and not going into sleep mid-render but who knows?

Still early days but fingers crossed. I can't say I'm a big fan of running everything at 100% all the time but I'll live with it if it's a solution.

biliousfrog
11-30-2009, 07:11 AM
The weird thing is that the drives were up and working, the video was being written to the drives, then paff!...the powers gone and it reboots. I've got several files which were half-written when it rebooted so it's not that the drives were powered down and they didn't power down mid-render......I wonder whether it's something to do with how Windows monitors the drives.

jasonwestmas
11-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry didn't see your post .... YES Some Work (unstable at times) ... but I booted up today and the dreaded HARD DRIVE FAILURE IS Imminent popped up ,that's the great thing about linux it dosn't lie about your system .

I know you can get 9.5 to work decent on ubuntu I don't know about 9.6.1

but I use Blender on Linux for the sheer reason that bake times are so much faster ..

and so my wife cant get onto my syst3m . if its not windows she's gimped !

LOL, well thanks for the tips.:D

jasonwestmas
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
You might indeed have found your issue right there.

It was years and years ago, but I remember trying to render an animation in LightWave a long time ago, probably before Windows XP, and after the first frame was done my system would simply crash. It turned out to be the exact same problem. The disk was powered down and LightWave would blow up the system when it tried to save the first frame to a disk it "couldn't access". (Might have been Windows blowing up and not LW, but everything went poof with a hard reboot).

I haven't used power saving for my hard drives since that.

Oh yeah, I turn all that power saving crap off:D especially when doing 3D processing.

monovich
11-30-2009, 09:15 AM
so it might have been power saving features, huh? Good to know. I was going to suggest video cards maybe being the problem because Adobe is trying to implement OpenGL acceleration and they aren't doing it very perfectly.

I'm going to put 7 on my macbook soon as a test platform before going that way with my workstations.

OnlineRender
11-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm going to put 7 on my macbook soon as a test platform before going that way with my workstations.

Wither you like it or not, win7 is what is going to be used for the next 4 years so you pretty much don't have an option . [PC USERS]

But I would suggest to EVERYONE including MAC Users for backup ,system , HDD and whatever other reasons to download Ubuntu www.ubuntu.com burn the 700 meg iso file onto a cd and have it as a spare OS ....

you can run the OS direct from CD so if any problems happen with windows you can easily jump back onto your HDD and fix them .
oh and another few reasons why I'm pushing the free software .

My HDD doesn't scream ........ when I'm in Linux
Networking FASTER
Internet
VPN
Tunnelling and so on
Drivers "cheers much"
Quake pull down console :D "that just my fav"

Peace

cagey5
11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Or even as a USB drive if your computer will boot that way.
I have separate HDD's for Ubuntu and Win XP and decide at the boot prompt which one to boot to, otherwise it defaults to Ubuntu after a few seconds.

OnlineRender
11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I have separate HDD's for Ubuntu and Win XP and decide at the boot prompt which one to boot to, otherwise it defaults to Ubuntu after a few seconds.

That's the best method !

You can partition your drive but I personally always suggest against that ! for all it cost for a new HDD

you tried wings3d or k3d ???

jasonwestmas
11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Or even as a USB drive if your computer will boot that way.

I think I'll give that a try one of these days. Thanks.

cagey5
11-30-2009, 10:31 AM
That's the best method !

You can partition your drive but I personally always suggest against that ! for all it cost for a new HDD

you tried wings3d or k3d ???

I haven't tried either. To be honest it's tricky finding the time to play with Lightwave as it is. And then there's Core and a bit of dabbling with Blender 2.5 too.

The dual boot to separate disks took some tracking down but it works well now.

JML
11-30-2009, 11:24 AM
It's funny that windows 7 is supposed to be far better than vista.
I've be running vista64 with no problems, and after upgrading
to windows 7, my nvidia 275 drivers stop responding and crashed (win7 restarted the drivers without rebooting, but still, annoying).
I'm hoping future nvidia drivers will fix it but windows7 has been in beta for a while now, so how come something like that still happens ?

I like some things in windows 7-64, but vista64 was far more reliable for me.

JMCarrigan
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I just remembered my pc suddenly went t... stopped like the power was yanked out.

My main storage drive went missing - thought it was fried - there was a lot of gnashing of teeth etc as I went about trouble shooting. Once I saw the drive come up on another machine I went online to the mobo manufacture (EVGA) found a chat room and I'll be damned if I didn't find a solution to the problem JUST posted a day or two before.

LSS: I had to flash the BIOS because I have more than 2 terabytes of hard drive space. I didn't even think of that!

Flashing the BIOS was scary, but I got very specific steps from the chat room (that differed slightly from the readme) and it was a success. All my stuff was fine and intact. Joy!

Stooch
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm "HARDLY" a computer expert, :tsktsk: but the only time we've had this happen it turned out to be a power supply problem. Certain applications triggered it for some reason???
Not saying this is it, but it's the only thing that ever caused this on our systems.

that was the root of my problems too. with windows 7, havent bsoded since.

one thing 3D guys like to do is get high quality ram, lots of it, and crank its voltage, and that is enough to push a system over the edge. and the problems start to happen IN RAM, as voltage drops, data gets corrupted, your registry, your files on your HDD...
so if you like LOTS of ram, super fast GPU, fast CPU, i suggest you buy a fresh PSU every 2 years or so. buying a good OEM brand like seasonic (corsair use seasonic) and with an extra 100 watts of head room after using a PSU wattage calculator app, like the one on newegg.

Also if you can afford a UPS device, buy it! even the smallest one, what that does is stabilizes and filters your voltage, so if you have a momentary brown out, say if you have an old electric system and a heavy duty appliance pulls alot of power. (which can also corrupt data) the UPS will kick in and make sure there is adequate power.

jwiede
11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Keeping BIOS up to date is important, because BIOS provides a bunch of info about CPU & system to Windows, and even HP & Dell often make mistakes early on with a MB/system.

OnlineRender
11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Keeping BIOS up to date is important, because BIOS provides a bunch of info about CPU & system to Windows, and even HP & Dell often make mistakes early on with a MB/system.

your damn right it is , if you have toshiba laptop I suggest you update the bios before it crashes like mine and locks you out :(

pmcnamara
12-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I feel smarter having read this thread...

I don't know that I am.. but I feel smarter anyhow !

cagey5
12-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Seems as though more users are having problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8388253.stm

IgnusFast
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
This latest issue also affects Vista, though, and was mostly caused by an update that changed ACL settings and trashed some thrid party programs that suddenly had access changed.

OnlineRender
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Seems as though more users are having problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8388253.stm

LOL could be worse you could own a PS3 ,glad im on linux

IgnusFast
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, that's out of left field. And one *nix variety (FreeBSD) just announced a major security hole today. Just saying, it happens to *everyone*...

Matt
12-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Well, I spoke too soon!

Just had my first blue screen!!!

All I was doing was browsing the net!

Event Viewer said:

Fault bucket X64_0x3B_win32k!GreUpdateSprite+130, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Matt
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Dunno what caused the one I had today, because Win7 has been solid so far. I blame biliousfrog for bringing this up, he jinxed me!

bilious' next COD4 session, your *** is mine! :D

biliousfrog
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
haha...you might be right, I haven't installed COD yet so there's every chance that Windows 7 will make me play badly :D

warrenwc
12-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Now we have to worry about the Black Screen of Death!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34223754/ns/technology_and_science-security/

JohnMarchant
12-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Now we have to worry about the Black Screen of Death!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34223754/ns/technology_and_science-security/

Funny but ive never seen this, now thats jinxed me :):)

JohnMarchant
12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
haha...you might be right, I haven't installed COD yet so there's every chance that Windows 7 will make me play badly :D

Cod4 and 6 work great in W7

old fashioned d
12-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Man, I feel for you Windows users. I know what it's like using Microsoft's OS and I can't imagine having to go back after switching over to the Mac 7 years ago. I used PC's until I got a job at an ad agency and they were all Mac and wow... it changed my computer life big time. I immediately purchased a Mac for home and haven't looked back. I NEVER have any issues! My Windows days were nothing but headaches and disasters.

I hated the fact that so many of the 3D software was Windows only or, like in LW's case, it ran poorly on the Mac but now it's a whole different story. For me anyways since I use Adobe, Newtek only. I understand a lot of you have to use Windows but I am serious when I tell folks that if Apple were to disappear then i'd probably find another way to make a living.

I can't imagine having to go back to Microsoft's OS. Even for just surfing the web. Yuck!

Funny how that Apple commercial has the PC guy saying "This time it's going to be different...trust me." lol

How true...

I don't HATE MS, I have their 360 and think it's the best gaming console ever but MAN do they seem to have issues with their OS. What gives?

Sekhar
12-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Man, I feel for you Windows users. I know what it's like using Microsoft's OS and I can't imagine having to go back after switching over to the Mac 7 years ago. I used PC's until I got a job at an ad agency and they were all Mac and wow... it changed my computer life big time. I immediately purchased a Mac for home and haven't looked back. I NEVER have any issues! My Windows days were nothing but headaches and disasters.

I hated the fact that so many of the 3D software was Windows only or, like in LW's case, it ran poorly on the Mac but now it's a whole different story. For me anyways since I use Adobe, Newtek only. I understand a lot of you have to use Windows but I am serious when I tell folks that if Apple were to disappear then i'd probably find another way to make a living.

I can't imagine having to go back to Microsoft's OS. Even for just surfing the web. Yuck!

Funny how that Apple commercial has the PC guy saying "This time it's going to be different...trust me." lol

How true...

I don't HATE MS, I have their 360 and think it's the best gaming console ever but MAN do they seem to have issues with their OS. What gives?
MS is just dumb, like 93% of the world (including me) that uses Windows.

biliousfrog
12-03-2009, 11:30 AM

How true...

The Apple OS is slightly more stable but most of that stability comes from restricting the use of their OS to their restricted hardware. If they sold the OS for use on any PC I can guarantee that there would be just as many problems as any Windows OS. Similarly, my BOXX machine has been absolutley rock solid for almost 3 years with only a few BSOD's caused by a dodgy audio driver which I updated...They're built around components which are all tested to work together with a particular OS and software. If I start swapping components with no regard for compatability I might get some problems...with Mac's, the hardware choices are restricted to prevent any of those possible problems.

The reason that you hear so many problems with regard to Windows is because MS can't account for every possible computer configuration. On the one hand you get much cheaper systems with many more options, on the other you have greater possibility of hitting a problem.

old fashioned d
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
The Apple OS is slightly more stable but most of that stability comes from restricting the use of their OS to their restricted hardware. If they sold the OS for use on any PC I can guarantee that there would be just as many problems as any Windows OS. Similarly, my BOXX machine has been absolutley rock solid for almost 3 years with only a few BSOD's caused by a dodgy audio driver which I updated...They're built around components which are all tested to work together with a particular OS and software. If I start swapping components with no regard for compatability I might get some problems...with Mac's, the hardware choices are restricted to prevent any of those possible problems.

The reason that you hear so many problems with regard to Windows is because MS can't account for every possible computer configuration. On the one hand you get much cheaper systems with many more options, on the other you have greater possibility of hitting a problem.

Yeah... that's a good point. Still wouldn't use a Windows machine though. Just too many horrible experiences. MS needs to make their OWN PC hardware like Apple! Then they could squash all of the bugs.