PDA

View Full Version : Penguins

Mr Rid
11-26-2009, 12:34 AM
A few of the Old Dogs penguins shots done in LW-
http://www.box.net/shared/static/y8jrx4za50.mov

The aggressive penguins are CG, while background penguins are real. Sean Scott animated the penguins in the water. I believe Kevin Kipper set up the fur in the first shot. I did lighting, and the wakes and bubblyness for the penguin motions.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/8dytjpc41a.jpg

Lewis
11-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Looking great, very cool bubbles and penguin motion is realistic :).

BTW where is the sound , I wanted to hear Travolta screaming "...move away you f...ng penguins.." :D :)?

-EsHrA-
11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
top work, very realistic! :)

mlon

sampei
11-27-2009, 01:54 PM
can't tell the difference and they look rather mean, excellent work ;

gordonrobb
11-27-2009, 04:36 PM
sweet work there Mr Rid

Stunt Pixels
11-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Sweet! Great work man!

Mr Rid
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
BTW where is the sound , I wanted to hear Travolta screaming "...move away you f...ng penguins.." :D :)?

There's one amusing shot I dont have where Travolta throws one of the penguins and it slaps against the wall.

Lewis
12-02-2009, 04:13 PM
There's one amusing shot I dont have where Travolta throws one of the penguins and it slaps against the wall.

Heheh so he was pis..d about those penguins after all :D :D

Mr Rid
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I recall now that there was another afterthought penguin shot. Right after this scene, Travolta is talking to someone, then as he walks away we had to add a penguin wriggling around under his coat on his back.. Then they wanted the penguin on the outside of his coat hanging with his collar in the beak. But I think this gag just never worked, and is not in the movie.

The compositors also had to fix a few closeups where Travolta's wig had separated a bit from his forehead. 8~ I think he came out of the closet with From Paris With Love... at least about the bald part.
http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/126/28/bald.0.0.0x0.400x350.jpeg

stevecullum
12-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice work!

What did you use to do the feathers?

shrox
12-14-2009, 02:43 PM
As usual, Mr. Rid's talent pushes us all down to the D list...

Looks great.

Mr Rid
12-14-2009, 06:21 PM
What did you use to do the feathers?

Kevin Kipper used Sas. All the shots were rendered in 9.3.

stevecullum
12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Kevin Kipper used Sas. All the shots were rendered in 9.3.

It works brilliantly - SAS is still best for production shots.

Netvudu
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Awesome stuff.
I find it quite amusing how you can render feathers as fur and still make the whole thing work...or is it that penguins do have fur as opposed to bird feathers?

Mr Rid
12-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Awesome stuff.
I find it quite amusing how you can render feathers as fur and still make the whole thing work...or is it that penguins do have fur as opposed to bird feathers?

Penguins are birds and have densely packed feathers. Sas was only used on the closeup, and even then we maybe could have slipped by with only surface texturing. It does not resemble the actual pattern of penguin feathers, but no one notices.

When this one penguin leaned forward, the Sas neck was 'glowing' inappropriately at a certain angle to camera.
There was only one overhead light in the scene so I dont know what artifact this was but did not have time to fool with troubleshooting it. The client did not comment on it and I think they used a shorter version of this already brief shot in the movie, so again, no one notices.

There are a number of little issues I could point out. You rarely have time/money to make every FX shot flawless under close scrutiny. You pick your battles, and the game is to make it as convincing, as opposed to realistic, in the shortest time possible.

shrox
12-16-2009, 05:24 PM
...You rarely have time/money to make every FX shot flawless under close scrutiny. You pick your battles, and the game is to make it as convincing, as opposed to realistic, in the shortest time possible.

Aye carumba, that is truth.

Netvudu
12-17-2009, 09:17 AM
no one is arguing.
I might add, I still havenīt submitted a single (moderately complex) shot that I was 100% satisfied with. I donīt expect that to happen anytime soon either.