PDA

View Full Version : Remember the early days?

donlimpio
11-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Woooow. I only started out with LightWave 5.5 on PC (used 3D Studio 4.0 under DOS and switched when MAX came out: LW was just SOOOO much more powerful and advanced - even though it fit on two floppies) so I missed out on the reaaaally early days - did have an Amiga 500 though - but boy I have some fond memories of those days. Some great things to recall:

- the Dave Jerrard tutorials on how to make space nebulas and laser beams with the marble shader!!!
- the amaaazing spinning light trick!
- LENS FLARES!!! I can't recount the nights I spent awake waiting for my test animations (160x120 pixels). Mostly spaceships with animated lens flares and a velocity driven fractal noise on the thrusters :-)
- Being the ONLY one around using metanurbs! This used to make just about any CGI artist green with envy. Hit the TAB key and bam!
- This new LW artist called Taron that was about a gazillion times better and faster than me!

Oh boy... Those were the days :-) LightWave was soooooo powerful then, compared to other programs, and so affordable. Sweet!

If you've got more anecdotes, please share!

stone
11-25-2009, 01:42 PM
i dont think my story is very interesting, but i found this 3d timeline (http://sites.google.com/site/3dtimeline/) to be. even if it lack all max and maya atm.

i started with real3d 1.3 and imagine 2.0 and later imagine v4, i think it was off amiga format and cu amiga. reading in those same magazines the impressive reviews of lightwave 4, 5 and i think 5.4 and real3d 2 and 3 battling it out. never got to try lightwave until years later when i got into games graphics which later got me my io interactive job.

/stone

pooby
11-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Visiting flay.com daily so you could keep track of all the plugins that were coming out thick and fast.
Now you're lucky if there's one a month.

COBRASoft
11-25-2009, 04:17 PM
stone: that timeline shows how important Amiga has been for several of thos apps. C4D, Imagine and LightWave. I used to play with all 3 of them back then on my super miggy 1260 :)

biliousfrog
11-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Visiting flay.com daily so you could keep track of all the plugins that were coming out thick and fast.
Now you're lucky if there's one a month.

I still check it daily just out of habit...LOL, just checked to see whether there's still a tutorial and job section and there's been a load of plugins added since I looked this morning...just like the old days :D

dablan
11-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I remember the real old days - LightWave 1.0, when I started. LightWave 2.0 was cool, but I actually called in sick to my corporate video producing job at the time when LightWave 3.0 came out. I then drove 3 hours to a dealer to pick up my copy. After all, LightWave was now going from an all gray interface to a gray and yellow interface. Big stuff! AND, we got lens flares. Yeah.... those were the days. It wasn't too long after that, that LightWave really took off. The Video Toaster User conventions began in LA, I started writing for LightWave Pro magazine, my friend Ron Thornton was making awesome TV with LightWave for Babylon 5.... then there was SeaQuest (... lensflares) and it got better from there.

I'm using LightWave 9.6 on a dual 8 Core mac, and I have to say, in my 19 year LightWave career, it's truly never run better. It's fast as hell and efficient. Are there interface things I would change? You bet. But it's still one of the best 3D programs for the money, hands down.

erikals
11-27-2009, 10:32 PM
OpenGL, changed everything http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

dwburman
11-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I kind of miss the rocking wireframe perspective view. :)

JonW
11-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Started with 6.5 then some other stuff & got back into it with 9.0

steamthunk
11-30-2009, 11:42 AM
i dont think my story is very interesting, but i found this 3d timeline (http://sites.google.com/site/3dtimeline/) to be. even if it lack all max and maya atm.

OMG. The Juggler! That thing was everywhere. That and the Boing ball are perhaps the two most iconic Amiga era graphic demos. Oh and the :newtek: Digiview demo reel. :D