PDA

View Full Version : 'baking' bones animation

AljenHoekstra
11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi there,
I'm trying to do some stuff with Collada and Papervision. I got models loading fine, even got bone animation working in Papervision. Problem is there is no way you can reposition, rotate or scale a bones-animated object in Papervision.
I've got some working models of the net that animate but don't have bones. I think they use vertex animations instead of bones.
Is there anyway I can somehow 'bake' the bones-animation to vertex animation?

Thanks in advance!

SplineGod
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
You can bake it out as an mdd file.

Roadwarrior
11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Good Video on it here;
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/MDscan_small.mov

geo_n
11-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi there,
I'm trying to do some stuff with Collada and Papervision. I got models loading fine, even got bone animation working in Papervision. Problem is there is no way you can reposition, rotate or scale a bones-animated object in Papervision.
I've got some working models of the net that animate but don't have bones. I think they use vertex animations instead of bones.
Is there anyway I can somehow 'bake' the bones-animation to vertex animation?

Thanks in advance!

Doing the same tests for our web department. Might try mdd if Papervision supports it.

AljenHoekstra
11-30-2009, 02:47 AM
I used the MD_Scan method but alas, Collada/Papervision doesn't support it.
We did some basic tests with bones and 3dsmax and it worked without problems.
I tried an fbx export to get my Lightwave animation into 3dsmax and then export it to collada but that also doesn't work. Somehow the bones get imported the wrong way. 3dsmax understands it fine but exporting to Collada messes it up.
In the end we used the exported fbx model, added a new skeleton in 3dsmax and now I'm animating it in 3dsmax. Never done that before...but it works.

But thanks for all your replies!