PDA

View Full Version : November 2009 LightWave newsletter discussion

BeeVee
11-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi all,

November's newsletter (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php) has been posted so give us your feedback here!

B

IMI
11-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Very cool, especially about the Flight 1549 Reconstruction project, and the upcoming CORE feature list :thumbsup:

walfridson
11-25-2009, 02:45 AM
I think the most exciting thing about december will be the Core 1.0 release.

:)

Netvudu
11-25-2009, 03:26 AM
monovich keeps on rocking :)

hrgiger
11-25-2009, 04:43 AM
BeeVee, something else to consider for the December Newsletter are the free character rigs that were given to the LW community from RebelHill and dstorer here respectively.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103944

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103922

Wouldn't hurt to have an interview with Craig (rebelhill) about his excellent rigging training.

walfridson
11-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Wouldn't hurt to have an interview with Craig (rebelhill) about his excellent rigging training.
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php?pageNum_monthlynews=5&totalRows_monthlynews=13#reb
BeeVee is fast you know ;)

Yog
11-25-2009, 05:34 AM
I think the most exciting thing about december will be the Core 1.0 release.

I would like to comment, as I feel it would head off a lot of bad feeling ... but I can't.

Hopefully Newtek will do the right thing sooner rather than later :stumped:

Kuzey
11-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Well...well...no leaking of Core videos...I'm very disappointed indeed..hehe :D

What's with the name change "LightWave 3D® with CORE technology". It sound's like Core is a plugin to the current LW version...could be confusing down the road. Then again it could just be me :hey:

Kuzey

hrgiger
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
What's with the name change "LightWave 3D® with CORE technology". It sound's like Core is a plugin to the current LW version...could be confusing down the road. Then again it could just be me :hey:

Kuzey

Well that is kind of new to us hardcore members too. The first time we heard it was last week when we got the feature list(and it hasn't really been explained elsewhere). I'm thinking they're targeting the people that are worried that CORE will be radically different to the point of not being anything like Lightwave. But that's just my take on it.

hrgiger
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php?pageNum_monthlynews=5&totalRows_monthlynews=13#reb
BeeVee is fast you know ;)

Ooh, I missed that one, thanks.

Kuzey
11-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Well that is kind of new to us hardcore members too. The first time we heard it was last week when we got the feature list(and it hasn't really been explained elsewhere). I'm thinking they're targeting the people that are worried that CORE will be radically different to the point of not being anything like Lightwave. But that's just my take on it.

I was thinking along the same lines. I actually like LW CORE or Lightwave CORE as a name. It makes a bold statement, while keeping the link to it's past...so they don't need to worry about scaring people off.

The new change makes it seem the "CORE technology" is a separate part, developed by someone else...like "LightWave 3D® with Intel technology" etc. etc.

Kuzey

hrgiger
11-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, I agree. Lightwave CORE is just fine, simple and effective. Saying Lightwave with 3D with CORE technology kind of sounds like they just took Lighwtave and bolted something else on top of it which is exactly what we're getting away from with CORE.

geothefaust
11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes, I agree. Lightwave CORE is just fine, simple and effective. Saying Lightwave with 3D with CORE technology kind of sounds like they just took Lighwtave and bolted something else on top of it which is exactly what we're getting away from with CORE.

I don't agree at all with that statement. But that is a discussion best left for the HC forums. ;)

hrgiger
11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't agree at all with that statement. But that is a discussion best left for the HC forums. ;)

You don't agree that the name sounds like they just added something on top of existing Lightwave or you don't agree that we're getting away from bolting things onto Lightwave with CORE?
I just think by sticking to Lightwave CORE, you're recognizing the fact that CORE is a brand new application. But that's just my take on it.

IMI
11-25-2009, 06:43 PM
"LightWave 3D® with CORE technology"

Not bad, but I think they should put an umlaut over the O, to make it look a little more metal:
"LightWave 3D® with CÖRE technology"
:jam:

IMI
11-25-2009, 07:00 PM
You don't agree that the name sounds like they just added something on top of existing Lightwave or you don't agree that we're getting away from bolting things onto Lightwave with CORE?
I just think by sticking to Lightwave CORE, you're recognizing the fact that CORE is a brand new application. But that's just my take on it.

Question wasn't directed at me, but it seems to be a reasonable marketing decision, for now, at least.
If you think about it, isn't the current and soon-to-be CORE more or less "bolted on" to LW 3D? It can't stand on its own, not just yet, and needs LW 3D as a partner, so the name makes sense in that context.
They did, after all, add something on top of existing Lightwave: They added CORE to work with it. Not literally as a plugin or something, but figuratively.

In a couple years or whenever CORE is able to stand on its own, however, it would be silly to call it that and then they can just go with LightWave Core. Without the ® though - that just makes it look cheesy and Autodesky. ;)

hrgiger
11-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Question wasn't directed at me, but it seems to be a reasonable marketing decision, for now, at least.
If you think about it, isn't the current and soon-to-be CORE more or less "bolted on" to LW 3D? It can't stand on its own, not just yet, and needs LW 3D as a partner, so the name makes sense in that context.
They did, after all, add something on top of existing Lightwave: They added CORE to work with it. Not literally as a plugin or something, but figuratively.

In a couple years or whenever CORE is able to stand on its own, however, it would be silly to call it that and then they can just go with LightWave Core. Without the ® though - that just makes it look cheesy and Autodesky. ;)

Yes, I see what you are saying and I guess I wasn't looking at it like that. I think now I see what Newtek had in mind with the naming. Because you are getting LWHC and CORE with the current version so I suppose Lightwave 3D with CORE technology makes more sense now.
I was only looking at it from the perspective of CORE and how it is a completely new application and not just an extension of Lightwave 3D.

Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways IMI.

adamredwoods
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Great job, Monovich.

Snosrap
11-25-2009, 10:03 PM
How about just Lightwave 10. Like it or not, the name Lightwave is recognizable in the industry. Probably the best way to tell people its different and better would be some kind of tag line after the name, something like - Lightwave 10 " A New Breed".

Silkrooster
11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
How about just Lightwave 10. Like it or not, the name Lightwave is recognizable in the industry. Probably the best way to tell people its different and better would be some kind of tag line after the name, something like - Lightwave 10 " A New Breed".

Problem is LWHC and Core are two different beasts. One may be called that but the other could not. This is probably something that Newtek should address.

geothefaust
11-25-2009, 10:45 PM

I don't agree with your statement that it's another frankenstein bolt-on action-o-matic (Ok, I added a few extras in there! ;) ). I think it is aptly named (even though this may or may not be the final name), for reasons I cited in the HC forums.

Anyway, there is potential and I think the name is hinting at something further.

geothefaust
11-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Just finished up reading the newsletter. Great job Mr. Vost. :)

Cool to see Monovich and Phil mentioned in the newsletter too, congrats you guys.

hrgiger
11-25-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't agree with your statement that it's another frankenstein bolt-on action-o-matic

Well I'm not sure if you were implying that I ever thought that CORE was such, I just said the name made it sound like it was. But anyway, its aptly named because LWHC and CORE are bundled together so it is indeed Lightwave 3D with CORE technology as IMI pointed out to me above.

OnlineRender
11-26-2009, 02:44 AM
who cares what they call it ? it's what it does that counts ! ,I would personaly call it

LC3D - much quicker and looks cool (",)

SaturnX
11-26-2009, 04:06 AM
The title is spot on.
Lightwave, in my humble opinion, should always be, LIGHTWAVE.
Lightwave rebuilt, on state of the art CORE technology, is accurate.

walfridson
11-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Lightwave BC - before core, up til 9.6.1

Lightwave AD

or maybe not... :)

Kuzey
11-26-2009, 06:20 AM
It's going to be confusing, maybe not to HardCORE members but it will be to non LW users. Core is supposed to a breakaway/breakthrough product and non LW users will just assume it's the same old thing....going by the name.

I remember in the reveal video being able to open a browser in CORE...That is where is should be used. If you can launch and use Maya within CORE, then you can call it something like "LightWave CORE® with Maya technology" and show videos of it in use. IF you can use CORE tools within Maya as well, then you can call it "MAYA 3D® with LightWave CORE technology" etc. etc.

It's a hook to get people interested and hopefully try Lightwave CORE in their pipeline...not make them ignore it :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
11-26-2009, 06:45 AM

I'm not so sure. If the name is final at release time, then it would be hard to change it when CORE becomes a standalone product...without adding more confusion into the mix.

Kuzey

IMI
11-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not so sure. If the name is final at release time, then it would be hard to change it when CORE becomes a standalone product...without adding more confusion into the mix.

Kuzey

I don't know. Does it even matter any longer?
Anybody who's anybody in 3D CG and not been living under a rock this past year probably knows what's up with CORE, and the newcomers to the program in the future won't know any different anyway.

They'll just know that® Light®Wave® 3D® with® CORE® technology® or whatever you want to call it® is the latest thing. I can't see people® at, say, ILM getting confused by what it® is or isn't.

I take it as just an interim name for time being, for as long as CÖRE still requires Lightwave. When CÖRE Ständalone is released they can call it Mr. Moneybagg's Magic Model And Movie Maker® if they want to, and everyone who's been paying attention will know what it is.

For that matter, I hope they do. I worry we'll run out of things to gripe about before too long. ;)

hrgiger
11-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I worry we'll run out of things to gripe about before too long. ;)

I wouldn't worry about that.

Sekhar
11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Anybody who's anybody in 3D CG and not been living under a rock this past year probably knows what's up with CORE, and the newcomers to the program in the future won't know any different anyway.

They'll just know that® Light®Wave® 3D® with® CORE® technology® or whatever you want to call it® is the latest thing. I can't see people® at, say, ILM getting confused by what it® is or isn't.

I take it as just an interim name for time being, for as long as CÖRE still requires Lightwave. When CÖRE Ständalone is released they can call it Mr. Moneybagg's Magic Model And Movie Maker® if they want to, and everyone who's been paying attention will know what it is.

For that matter, I hope they do. I worry we'll run out of things to gripe about before too long. ;)
May be it's the holiday mood or it's the economy, but sometimes it seems like we 'wavers have too much time on our hands these days, discussing the most trivial of things and giving pointless/unsolicited advice to everyone/anyone. Don't know what happened to the days when people actually discussed substantive/material 3D matters here. So, no - we'll never run out of things to gripe about.

OnlineRender
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I can give an in-depth answer to above post /\ including some nice stats but we can just blame it on the recession :D

IMI
11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
May be it's the holiday mood or it's the economy, but sometimes it seems like we 'wavers have too much time on our hands these days, discussing the most trivial of things and giving pointless/unsolicited advice to everyone/anyone. Don't know what happened to the days when people actually discussed substantive/material 3D matters here. So, no - we'll never run out of things to gripe about.

You left something out there - some people take things way too seriously and have difficulty recognizing when someone else is just playing around.
Or are simply not concerned about thinking about someone's intent in the first place.

Kuzey
11-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Hehe...I got the impression from all the responses here on the forums, that most people (friends and coworkers of forum members) laughed about the reveal show and never thought of Core again.

The good thing about hitting a sang near the release of Core1 (or what ever it will be called), is it makes the guys at Newtek seem human, unlike the guys at Microsoft or other big companies. Which is one of the things I like about Newtek...they are real people and unexpected things can happen :D

Oooooh...I know, I like CO®E as the new name....ok, I'm outta here :hey:

Kuzey

robertoortiz
11-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Well the CORE sections of the foums are actually quite nice.