PDA

View Full Version : Group fun, animate a Stargate! Here's a start...

shrox
11-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I made a Stargate, and did a rough "splash" when it opens and stuck it in a desert. Take it, tweak it, make it better. I think this could be fun and I am hoping to learn from what others do with it. LW 9.6

oobievision
11-24-2009, 11:12 AM
oooohhh im gonna play with this, I love all the detail in the stargate. where can I find the texture handler plugins?

shrox
11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
oooohhh im gonna play with this, I love all the detail in the stargate. where can I find the texture handler plugins?

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Sunsky.html

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Suncolor.html

Sorry, I forgot I used those.

shrox
11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
The detail on the Stargate might not be 100% correct, I used some pics I found on line as reference. It took about 6 hours to build. And I only did the front.

rednova
11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi:

I downloaded your scene and opened it in lw 9.6
I love your work very much, I enjoyed seeing the stargate rotate and open. I like the way the mesh splashes over. I will probably keep messing with this scene.
Maybe I can have a few humanoids come out of the stargate after it opens ?
Cheers !!!

rednova

shrox
11-24-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see the Hypervoxels get that water spalsh look. It's just a single particle emitter with motion and gravity set on the Z plane.

rednova
11-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi:

I would not know if it can be done. But wouldn't it be possible to do the whole water splash using morphing mesh instead of hypervoxels ?
I think I might be able to replicate the water effect by modeling the whole splash in different stages, then morph them. Then use surfacing and textures to paint the morphing mesh and make it look like the real water splash.
I will give it a try then post.

rednova

shrox
11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi:

I would not know if it can be done. But wouldn't it be possible to do the whole water splash using morphing mesh instead of hypervoxels ?
I think I might be able to replicate the water effect by modeling the whole splash in different stages, then morph them. Then use surfacing and textures to paint the morphing mesh and make it look like the real water splash.
I will give it a try then post.

rednova

Sure it's possible with hypervoxels, I could do, I just was putting this out to see what someone else could do. Hopefully someone good with HVs, like, oh I don't know, Mr.Rid?

shrox
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Anybody else interested?

COBRASoft
11-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Interested: yes, time: almost none for the moment, sorry.

Dexter2999
11-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I'd love to...but I suck.

shrox
11-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Did you find those plug ins?

Mike_RB
11-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I know the guy that did the original digital one at Rainmaker for the tv show. He did it in poweranimator and it was complicated enough that they could never prot it over to maya no matter how hard they tried, so they kept an SGI alive somewhere jut to do puddle shots for a long long time. Not sure if they or the in house team has finally rebuilt it elsewhere.

oobievision
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
yes I did thanks sorry been a while I just had my comp crash and burn all my Ram and upgraded to win7 64bit so Its been a bit of a transition for me. I was playing with blender fluids to simulate the horizon and splash was looking pretty good till I lost that mesh file.

oobievision
01-07-2010, 07:12 AM
I know the guy that did the original digital one at Rainmaker for the tv show. He did it in poweranimator and it was complicated enough that they could never prot it over to maya no matter how hard they tried, so they kept an SGI alive somewhere jut to do puddle shots for a long long time. Not sure if they or the in house team has finally rebuilt it elsewhere.

are u talking about the original one for the movie or the show?

OnlineRender
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I reckon ,I can get blender fluids to interact like that "getting good with it"! but importing the mesh into the scene may cause problems with the others object , although some nice comp work and you could blend it well . ##

I'll post the mesh when I get back home ."although file size maybe large ! you will have to render though .
they only thing that concerns me is the overall shape ! and keeping it steady . #

have a bash later

shrox
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I have never done ths before, it's my first time...ready?

Bump.

shrox
04-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Bump. Necro bump too...still like to see a nice splashy whoosh.

MonroePoteet
04-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Probably not what you're after, but maybe a good starting point: ClothFX. Sample scene attached.

The basic approach is to create a ClothFX surface stretched / snapped by a FX Collision object. A High-res object is MetaLink'd. The displacement of the high-res object is affected by a Turbulence procedural with a Distance-to-Object alpha channel.

Maybe use the high-def object (or a separate intermediate density object with a good point count for your desired effect) as the generator for HV's? IMO, it looks OK without HV's, fine-tuning the Turbulence procecural parameters on the Displacement for the high-res object. Obviously fine-tune the colors, speed / size of the Collision object, etc.

Just a thought...

mTp

JohnMarchant
05-01-2017, 04:07 AM
Probably not what you're after, but maybe a good starting point: ClothFX. Sample scene attached.

The basic approach is to create a ClothFX surface stretched / snapped by a FX Collision object. A High-res object is MetaLink'd. The displacement of the high-res object is affected by a Turbulence procedural with a Distance-to-Object alpha channel.

Maybe use the high-def object (or a separate intermediate density object with a good point count for your desired effect) as the generator for HV's? IMO, it looks OK without HV's, fine-tuning the Turbulence procecural parameters on the Displacement for the high-res object. Obviously fine-tune the colors, speed / size of the Collision object, etc.

Just a thought...

mTp

Im going to take a look at this later on. Never been able to get a satisfactory Kawoosh in LW. Thanks mate.

shrox
05-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Neat, this was just one of those things that I wanted to see what others did.

VirtualFM
05-06-2017, 10:14 AM
This is not my work, but a long time ago a friend of mine did his version of the effect. I went through old backups and found the demo reel we used together, back in 2000. The effect was done in 1999 and it was longer than this (after this he appeared om frame and was being pulled into the "event horizon", so it took some 4 or 5 more seconds but we only used the initial part for the demo, and that's the only thing I could find).

It was done with Hypervoxels, and I think it was with Lightwave 6.0.

JohnMarchant
05-06-2017, 10:19 AM
That is pretty good and even more so because of the age.

VirtualFM
05-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Yeah. Almost 20 years... well, 18!

Now that I think of it more thoroughly, it must have been done with version 5.6, as if I remember correctly Lightwave 6 was only available by mid 2000. I think this reel was the one that landed me the first job with Lightwave [6], making particle simulation with hypervoxels.

JohnMarchant
05-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Still thats very good indeed.

prometheus
05-07-2017, 11:18 AM
turbulenceFD would be interesting to use, and if it Only had particle advection..you could swap and render with hv particles for a more watery look, then again deepfx may be something to look in to as well.

This morph and displacement effect from Rober Wilde is still looking very good...it may need some particle effect that yields high velocity tiny drops that becomes almost white though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkufTQZnRgk

some puddle mixes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHd554AMSw

shrox
05-07-2017, 11:22 AM
These are great!

prometheus
05-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Tiny additions like adding lensflare helps bring forth the aspect of light from another dimension or wormhole... and a slight blur helps adding to the illusion of some sort of time distortion, so that seems like optical flares in after effects or similar and some post bluring.

JohnMarchant
05-07-2017, 11:39 AM
turbulenceFD would be interesting to use, and if it Only had particle advection..you could swap and render with hv particles for a more watery look, then again deepfx may be something to look in to as well.

This morph and displacement effect from Rober Wilde is still looking very good...it may need some particle effect that yields high velocity tiny drops that becomes almost white though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkufTQZnRgk

some puddle mixes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHd554AMSw

Very nice indeed, do you have the sceen files for us to have a play.

prometheus
05-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Very nice indeed, do you have the sceen files for us to have a play.

That was not mine, I said it was from Robert Wilde....so you have to contact him.

JohnMarchant
05-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Sorry my bad did not read the bit about that. Very good though.

VirtualFM
05-08-2017, 06:27 PM

That's a great example. I almost wish I had a need to replicate this effect. Unfortunately days only have 28 hours... well, mine feels like 28, anyway...

prometheus
05-09-2017, 12:53 PM
That's a great example. I almost wish I had a need to replicate this effect. Unfortunately days only have 28 hours... well, mine feels like 28, anyway...

morphs and displacement is one way, you could also try out clothfx, rubber or jelly, make rim points a fixed pointset, and set that in clothfx as fixed, add collision object and run it through the clothfx, add a normal displacement with ripple procedural on that, set subdiv to last..but preferably use good enough divisions premade for the puddle.
might work to get it decent just with that for starter, you could also try set the puddle mesh as 100 dissolve,and add hypervoxels directly on that clothfx object, that way you can get the volume to break up almost like fluid sim, with proper size and blending, and ofcourse a proper water set hv shading..it could look good.