PDA

View Full Version : Corel in trouble...

Dodgy
11-24-2009, 06:34 AM
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/11/24/corel_vector_buyout/

cresshead
11-24-2009, 07:03 AM
well i hope they stay around as i've been using corel products since 1995..
corel draw, painter.

archijam
11-24-2009, 07:22 AM
+1.

Despite takeovers, etc. they still make great products.

Corel Draw had transparency, effects and even instancing looong before Illustrator. :/

A shame how little competition there is around for Adobe.

Martin Adams
11-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Please don't let this be the end of Painter, or worse, see it sold off to Adobe...

Nicolas Jordan
11-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I own Corel Paint Shop Pro X2. It's not quite Photoshop but it's close in many ways and it meets any photo editing needs that I have. If Corel doesn't stick around hopefully their products survive.

Red_Oddity
11-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I own Corel Paint Shop Pro X2. It's not quite Photoshop but it's close in many ways and it meets any photo editing needs that I have. If Corel doesn't stick around hopefully their products survive.

That and it is only 59 euros, if only they had added a Photoshop shortcut preference setting, that way it would be easier to switch.

But let us be honest, there is no real competition on the graphic and internet design market anymore, Macromedia was step 1, Corel will be step 2. Adobe feels like a classic case of 'market failure'.

biliousfrog
11-24-2009, 08:56 AM
I doubt that Painter will disappear, I suspect that it's the only app that kept them going this long. No matter how capable the other apps are/were (PSP, CorelDRAW, PhotoPaint etc.) they have always been seen as the poor mans Adobe. Painter, however, has always been unique and is a highly respected piece of software...even in the pre-Corel days.

Stooch
11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
i always found it inferior and wont miss it...

csquared63
11-24-2009, 10:59 AM
well i hope they stay around as i've been using corel products since 1995..
corel draw, painter.

Agreed! CorelDRAW is much more intuitive and easy to use than Illustrator, though I feel the opposite about Photopaint and Photoshop!

Hieron
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
CorelDraw I'm not too happy about and I had a fair share of headaches from Corel ventura years ago.

Painter is another story though... Photoshop got some features added too now (rotating canvas, always wondered how digital painters dealt without that option in PS), but Painter works great. (for that specific purpose)

radams
11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Agreed! CorelDRAW is much more intuitive and easy to use than Illustrator, though I feel the opposite about Photopaint and Photoshop!

I would agree...and with its more CAD like abilities...and mutlipage projects...it is a natural for many manufacturing design companies...including most sign companies.

I found CorelDraw much better & faster to work with for those applications..and to go between CAD and design.

Though the developement and company are a huge mess...I don't know how they get anything done...and their coding practices are horrible.

Cheers,

Andyjaggy
11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I hate illustrator. Uck. It's probably user error, but it makes me want to pull my hair out every time I use it.

geothefaust
11-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Crazy...

While I own 3 of their products, Painter, PSPx2 & CoreDRAW... I only really use Painter the most and find it very handy to have around. It would be a shame to see it go.

archijam
11-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Corel had far more solid days.

CorelDraw vs Illustrator+InDesign1.5 back in the day? Corel had the features of both programs put together.

CorelDraw really dropped the ball at Draw 10, or rather, kept fumbling while Adobe toddled on at it's blindingly slow (but consistent) pace.

cresshead
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I hate illustrator. Uck. It's probably user error, but it makes me want to pull my hair out every time I use it.

yeah try object snapping in illustrator...err..it snaps to the cursor!...he har har dumbos!:devil:

Snosrap
11-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Most people just follow the crowd when it comes to purchasing decisions of any magnitude and that's especially true of corporate managers. I doubt any manager has ever been fired for purchasing Adobe, Autodesk, Dassault Systemes or Microsoft products. It's a real shame, but the same holds true with the general public and consumerism - buy what the Jones' have.

frantbk
11-25-2009, 08:34 AM
i always found it inferior and wont miss it...

I didn't know Corel built products. Their whole product line belonged to other companies. Corel wordperfect - wordprefect owned by Novell sold to corel - wordprefect owned by wordprefect company sold to novell is its history.

Painter, don't remember the name of the company that created it.

PaintShop, same, don't remember the name of the company that created that program.

Bryce: Started by the MetaTools - sold to corel - sold to Daz.

maybe autodesk will buy these programs.

JML
11-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I thought they were already out of business..

akademus
11-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I never liked both Corel and Illustrator and I'm happy not to use them very often!

tribbles
11-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I've used Illustrator and CorelDRAW, but my preference is for Xara Xtreme - it's very quick, and has a lot of good features. Unfortunately, it's not really an industry leader though...

cresshead
11-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I didn't know Corel built products. Their whole product line belonged to other companies. Corel wordperfect - wordprefect owned by Novell sold to corel - wordprefect owned by wordprefect company sold to novell is its history.

Painter, don't remember the name of the company that created it.

PaintShop, same, don't remember the name of the company that created that program.

Bryce: Started by the MetaTools - sold to corel - sold to Daz.

maybe autodesk will buy these programs.

corel draw...by corel
painter by fractal design, then metacreations
paintshop pro by JASC
bryce by metacreations..well kia krasse actually!

cresshead
11-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I've used Illustrator and CorelDRAW, but my preference is for Xara Xtreme - it's very quick, and has a lot of good features. Unfortunately, it's not really an industry leader though...

:thumbsup:

yeah i've moved to xara extreeme 5 this year...tis the bees!
using it for website design mostly.

achrystie
11-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I like Painter, and Paintshop Pro was ok, but there were some issues with how Corel pursued development and sales for sure.
I get their advertisements, almost monthly, and it's as if the products are "perpetually" on some "get it while it lasts" sale. Painter 10 runs really nicely, but the rate at which they developed the product, and what they delivered with Painter 11 was less than impressive IMHO. It took them like 3 years to get out the new version, and while it had some nice stuff, it was hardly a plethora of features, or "groundbreaking".

Paint Shop Pro has cool features, but really "too much going on and a lack of direction". The interface and program overall is really bloated and runs quite slow on even fast systems because it just doesn't seem to be very efficient. Plus, they have that crappy licensing where some program runs perpetually in the background and pings some server now and then. I found it was actually significantly slowing my system boot on Windows, so I took the whole program off. It was quite a noticeable difference in fact.

Hopefully some company will pick up Painter, besides Adobe, and do something with it.

cresshead
11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
i hope daz3d or smith micro pick it up rather than a monster corpoaration like adobe

frantbk
11-25-2009, 12:34 PM
corel draw...by corel
paintshop pro by JASC

One out of five? Well if you count Quattro, wordperfect, Presentation, one out of seven products? Why hasn't Corel died off several years ago? Corel hasn't put much effort into their product line. Although I will state that I use corel wordprefect suite.

safetyman
11-25-2009, 01:19 PM
I much prefer CorelDraw to Illustrator. Illy has been playing catch up for years in terms of features, but they tout them as the best new tools since sliced bread! They way it handles text is light years behind CorelDraw and Illy has a limit on page size, something that Corel virtually did away with. Sad to see it hitting hard times.

tribbles
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
corel draw...by corel
paintshop pro by JASC

Don't forget - there was a CorelXara at one point (I've only just remembered).

It's the only member of the Xara family I didn't get.

Silkrooster
11-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Don't forget - there was a CorelXara at one point (I've only just remembered).

It's the only member of the Xara family I didn't get.

Thats about the time Corel start having issues again.

Silkrooster
11-25-2009, 10:16 PM
i hope daz3d or smith micro pick it up rather than a monster corpoaration like adobe

Please don't allow Daz to get a hold of it. or it will be the end of the program. They are having difficulty right now with what they got. I am still hoping that changes though, as I have a soft spot for Bryce.

Martin Adams
11-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Xara is awesome. I used CorelXARA about 14 years ago and picked up Xara X11 a couple of years ago. The strange thing is, the program has changed very little in that time, and to be honest, it just doesn't need to. It's quick, does the job and works very well.

Anyone know if there's much of an improvement in Xara Xtreme? I'm not really bothered about more compatibility, just the "are there any features that can make me create more cool art?"

As for Corel Draw, I used that way back in version 4, and loved every minute of it. Got me into graphics on the computer, and I think spoiled my understanding of how Illustrator works - it just doesn't seem to do what I want when I click on the vectors!

PixelDust
11-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I just started using Xara Xtreme last year or so, and I really like it, especially because of the speed and the ease of use. Plus there are a lot of excellent free tutorials for it at the XaraXone (http://www.xaraxone.com/).

There are some major changes to the Layers Gallery, especially in Xtreme 5 Pro. Now, you can see every object on a layer and hide and show them individually (a big help when you have lots of objects!). Also, there's context aware scaling, similar to what Photoshop has now. You can mask off an object and scale the unmasked parts to stretch a background.

Most of the recent changes have involved web page creation and bitmap effects. Some long-time Xtreme users would like new vector tools, though. The brushes could use improvement, and a fill bucket tool would be great.

Speedmonk42
11-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Open source it all!!!

I wonder how much it would go for?

accom
11-27-2009, 03:47 AM
I used Corel Draw since version 5 till version 10...

CD had many features that competition didn't, thats true. It's UI was allways intuitive and was simple to use, with fairly good results. I used it mainly for print design and prepress. But it's main feature was the ability to produce non-standard postscript files, that gave me many headaches. So, I dumped it.

Yes, It had features of AI and ID in one app, but it was crappy. Still, when doing this mag and getting ads made in CD, they are quite often problematic. To be honest, I think it's not app's fault, but user's, since it's much cheaper and lots of people starting on their own, just buy what they can afford.

I really don't mind Corel disappearing, but I do mind Adobe is not having any decent rivals! THAT is the real problem.

Have fun!

Martin Adams
11-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Strange to think that there seems to be more competition when it comes to 3D than it does with illustration. Maybe the evolution of illustration is maxing out and no new vendors can bring something new to the table.

probiner
11-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Corel PaintShop Pro> Alchemy (inputs can be animated) :eek:
Hope they keep up and improve