PDA

View Full Version : How on earth would I do this: DNA bonding? :|

Hieron
11-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I just can't find a way to pull this off and I would appreciate any help.. if I can't find a way soon (hours) I'll need to take a ugly option...

What I want to achieve:
2 halves of DNA, single stranded in a scene. One is attached to a surface, dangling and slightly twisted ideally, the other (twisted a bit too) needs to float towards it and start to bond from either the top or bottom, like a zipper..

Now if Curve Conform would actually allow the to be conformed to curve to morph, I think I'd be able to do it.. but it doesn't work that way... argh..

Any help?

SplineGod
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Bones morphs, spline control or a free plugin called shift spline transform.

Jockomo
11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
You might consider trying to simulate it in reverse. Have the two pieces attached and then tear them apart. Then play the sequence backwards.

Maybe you could use cloth dynamics where the cloth parts (base pairs) are fixed to the solid backbones.

Jockomo
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Heya Larry :)

SplineGod
11-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey! :)
I might also try the same trick but putting weight maps on easch strand and then using a bone chain in each. Take them apart th en animate them in reverse.

Hieron
11-24-2009, 01:32 AM
hey guys, thanks for the input :) Really appreciated... been a long run last weeks, wasn't much thinking power left.

I tried a few options but settled on Shift Spline Transform.. Did not expect it to do it so well and rather easy. Bit tricky to not have it mess up the tiny dna parts, but all in all it does everything I want:

Twisted pair, together curled, and both seperating. Quite nicely.

There was no time to really make it epic, but it sure does the trick. Too bad it isn't updated/ 64 bit. Handy tool.

thx!