PDA

View Full Version : SV with HV 3 is Up-Size Down?!?

Marshun
11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
HV = HyperVoxel(s)

Found this:

the "Size Variation" (SV) is working backwards for me:

in layout

- make a null,
- give it a known Particle 'Size' (for comparison) for whatever your grid size dictates so you can see of the null clearly,
- Now give it a Size Variation, say 2X larger or 200%.
- Render (F9) it.

What ever shows up has turned out to be smaller than what I expected, when I tried it. Giving the SV a negative "-" value results in making that null larger, not smaller. So positives shrink it. And negatives enlarge it.

The default for SV is 100% and the default SV range is 0 to 500%. It disappeared leaving me to think something was wrong.
Giving the SV a "-" value, increased the null's size.

See what you can get...

It also appears that the Particle Size is inversely proportional to the Size Variation.

-Or-

PS = 1/SV

Let 'unk' be any variable. Size I don't know the exact proportion counting with this one...
At this time it appears to me to be "1".

Marshun
11-24-2009, 01:38 AM
In case anyone is having trouble with the steps:

You don't need a model.

Just open up 9.6 Layout.

Select "Items" and look for "Null": under the "Add" section. Typically on the left side. You should see the null's cross hairs at the "origin" after clicking "OK".

To get properties: open "Windows"* (up at the top left). You'll get the "Hypervoxels 3.0" interface. You should see a ghosted Null under Object Name. Click to highlight the Null and give put a check just to the left of "Null" to activate it. You should now see the Geometry tab as selected by default...

*If you click properties (p) you'll get an Object Properties interface but it's different. Use the other one.

continue...

Marshun
11-24-2009, 02:06 AM
The first pic is SV= -100 and larger
The second is SV= +100 is smaller

toby
11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Why would you change Size Variation instead of Particle Size if you want one particle to be bigger?

Variation is for multiple particles, it will vary their size from 0% to 200% randomly.

Marshun
11-24-2009, 04:04 PM
One effects the other here. Ok. Man I can be dumb.

Why would you change Size Variation instead of Particle Size if you want one particle to be bigger?

Variation is for multiple particles, it will vary their size from 0% to 200% randomly.
Well NOW that's a good point because I'm still not so aware of how a lot of tools work. It still struck me as questionable as I couldn't
figure out why particles were disappearing. As for the typically expected function of a lot of tools I just don't know where to look. Now that I'm a little better familiar with this function I can consider it.

I'd like to know where I can find better-than-average information regarding lightwave.

I do like your answer:

Variation is for multiple particles, it will vary their size from 0% to 200% randomly.That is pretty near what I first thought.
Sometimes, I'm randomly tweaking things tools because I just don't know what they're supposed to do! I don't like
having to rely on that but it is probably a "best way" in figuring out more complex programs.

Good thing I'm not practicing brain surgery.

Thank you Toby

toby
11-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I see. You're not the only one wishing for better documentation :P
Have you seen all the video tutorials?

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php

I just learned something new from there the other day, and I've been using lw for 9 years!

Marshun
11-25-2009, 03:23 AM
toby, Yes. In fact I have that exact page in my 'favorites' list. Those tutes are great. I've also been browsing "you tube" for more. I see I'm going to have to really hit the manuals to get a technical grasp of the tools.

Another problem I've encountered is that I have been reading quite a bit of this board's threads concerning stuff I have no knowledge of. It's practically impossible for me to grasp as I'm no where near in knowing what most are talking about. That's my being "green".

Maybe this is an error of mine but I feel that many here are been able to figure lightwave out on there own. As a result, I hardly ever request help in this forum (really stupid of me ... but) such as this thread I just had to ask.

Technical writing is a challenge even for the developers to make it palatable for the laymen. The lingo is understood only by those familiar ... but me"?"
- - -
Sometimes I feel like I never learned how to study...

Richard Hebert
11-25-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm about 3 years into LightWave and have learned a lot by asking specific questions on the forum. Many talented people have helped me through some of the same questions that you're about to have concerning the software. The manual may tell me what the buttons do but the myriad of applications for that button can only come from those that have followed the software for years. Without the forum I would be completely stumped. So... don't hesitate to ask. Someone will have the answer somewhere. Also, they won't make you feel stupid for asking... big plus.

Richard

Marshun
11-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm about 3 years into LightWave and have learned a lot by asking specific questions on the forum. Many talented people have helped me through some of the same questions that you're about to have concerning the software. The manual may tell me what the buttons do but the myriad of applications for that button can only come from those that have followed the software for years. Without the forum I would be completely stumped. So... don't hesitate to ask. Someone will have the answer somewhere. Also, they won't make you feel stupid for asking... big plus.

Richard
Yes, you're right. That's what I was referring to when I said, to the effect of "...my being stupid..." on NOT asking for help from here. So now I'll just go nuts. That is only after I've tried at least a couple workarounds. Then I'll ask if I find something regarding an actual impasse I'm butting up against.

Thank you Richard Hebert