PDA

View Full Version : Curves and tunnels

Graham Nichols
09-02-2003, 04:44 AM
Hi,

As a newbie LW modeller I'm trying to model a bottle of fabric softener. I have created my basic bottle shape and used an extruded ellipse to tunnel out the handlesection.

Tunnel leaves the bottle as an empty 'shell' so I have had to create the red polys myself for the inside of the handle. This is very tedious and I wonder if there is a plugin to make such tunnelling jobs easier. I don't want to reply on plugins to bail me out, but then again I don't want to re-invent the wheel either!

I also need to create a smooth curve where the grey and red polys meet. Richard Brak's excellent rounder plugin didn't like some of the edges, so I wonder what techniques any of you experienced modellers could suggest please? I thought that maybe sub-patching would help smooth things out, but it didn't :(

Any pointers much appreciated.

So far in modelling I've discovered that 1 hours modelling = 2 hours tweaking!

Graham Nichols.

Mylenium
09-02-2003, 05:04 AM
Well, time to start ooooverrr. While SubDs are not always the holy grail, in this case the shape just screams "Do me with subs!". Another way would have been done doing it with splines. Everything else is just a waste of time.

Mylenium

riki
09-02-2003, 07:59 AM
This is just a rough example and not using any reference images. But I would probably go for something more like this.

riki
09-02-2003, 08:12 AM
I'd need to play around with this, spin some quad to get the flow of polys right around the handle. But it might give you some ideas.

Graham Nichols
09-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks Riki! Very smoooooth. I will examine this in detail and fill in some more of my ignorance gap (big gap!). Much appreciated.

My attempt was beginning to look like a sack of potatoes tied in the middle :)

Now, back to my mouse.

best, Graham

Graham Nichols
09-02-2003, 09:56 AM
So did you box model the example, and tweak as you toggled sub-patching?

riki
09-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi Graham

yeah I prefer box modeling.

Just one tip, try and keep your Poly count down. It makes your job a lot easier and you can always increase the resolution of the SubPatch at render time.

Graham Nichols
09-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by riki
Hi Graham

yeah I prefer box modeling.

Just one tip, try and keep your Poly count down. It makes your job a lot easier and you can always increase the resolution of the SubPatch at render time.

Hi Riki,

Yep, I realised that my poly count was through the roof compared with yours. I lathed the original shape and then squashed it a bit to get it elliptical, I'll try your method.

The bottle I'm modelling has some pronounced curves which blend into the handle curve. It's quite sexy as bottles go, if that doesn't sound too strange. I was going to send a photo to illustrate my point by my digital camera has just died :( Not my day today!

cheers, Graham

riki
09-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Hey Graham if you've got some time check out my tuts below. lots of useful tips on modeling.

Graham Nichols
09-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks man, I'm already all over it.

best, Graham

renatolazzaroni
09-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Graham Nichols
Hi,

Tunnel leaves the bottle as an empty 'shell' so I have had to create the red polys myself for the inside of the handle. This is very tedious and I wonder if there is a plugin to make such tunnelling jobs easier.

I know this post comes a little late, but FYI, you don't need a plug-in to create a solid tunnel in an object. Don't use drill or solid drill, do a boolean substract instead, and substract your drill object from the object to be drilled through. The inside polys are created automatically... and they face the right way !
Of course, if you use subdivision surfaces, boolean operations are not advised as they make it almost impossible to keep a nice mesh of quads.

Renato

Graham Nichols
09-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Many thanks for your tip.

best, Graham