PDA

View Full Version : Learning lightwave

3dsimpso
11-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Hi everyone, ive been here for a few days looking around and wanted to ask some advice regarding modeling and lightwave in general.
Ive been trying to pick this up for a while now and i understand the basics of the interface and how to use the basic tools and sorts.
What i need help on is some sort of direction to mor effectivly learn modelling, texturing and lightwave.
Ive been able to follow tutorials pretty succesfully but then when it comes to making something on my own im completly lost.
What i want to know is there some sort of structure or specific tutorials or any help anyone can give to help me get on the track to learn these programs more effectivly?

Any help would be most gratefull, thanks.

jbaudrand
11-23-2009, 05:28 AM
http://www.desktopimages.com/

check dan ablan inside lw 9
lw 9 lightning by nicolas boughen
lw 9 texturing edited by wordware

OlaHaldor
11-23-2009, 05:51 AM
I started out with Inside LW 7.5 by Dan Ablan, and then I jumped on two entire series of VFX and motion graphics from Desktop Images, and a couple of titles from Kurv Studios. I have NOT regret those investments. :)

Clemens
11-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Hi everyone, ive been here for a few days looking around and wanted to ask some advice regarding modeling and lightwave in general.
Ive been trying to pick this up for a while now and i understand the basics of the interface and how to use the basic tools and sorts.
What i need help on is some sort of direction to mor effectivly learn modelling, texturing and lightwave.
Ive been able to follow tutorials pretty succesfully but then when it comes to making something on my own im completly lost.
What i want to know is there some sort of structure or specific tutorials or any help anyone can give to help me get on the track to learn these programs more effectivly?

Any help would be most gratefull, thanks.
Learning 3D is a very big issue, and I think that you never stop learning. I for myself am always struggling.
What helped me a lot was the advice to start small projects and try to finish them.

3dsimpso
11-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Learning 3D is a very big issue, and I think that you never stop learning. I for myself am always struggling.
What helped me a lot was the advice to start small projects and try to finish them.

Thats something i need to work on, im a bit all over the place with this trying all sorts of stuff instead of focusing on a particular topic.

i have dan ablons inside lightwave 7 and have reached the 3d head tutorial, im finding im struggling to follow it and get the shapes that he does.

rednova
11-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi:

www.3dexchange.com
is a complete animation training online for lightwave.
For around $ 500.00 you can get complete online training
to become entry level computer animator using lightwave
and also animation diploma.

www.desktopimages.com
You can get Todd Grimes character animation series
complete workshop for character modeling and animation.

I got both training programs and they are very good.
The 3d exchange is a real animation diploma with the training
needed to become entry level animator.

AAAHHHH ! Also check out splinegod training
www.splinegod.com

Hope this helps !!!

rednova

SplineGod
11-23-2009, 12:34 PM
The largest collection of LW DVDs is here:
www.kurvstudios.com and they come with
online support.

3dsimpso
11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the tips guys ill give these a look into.

dablan
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the nod guys -

don't forget our 20 hour comprehensive LightWave course at www.3DGarage.com as well as others.

wayne1 huffman
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Project Viper DVDs are really excellent. Kevin is a great teacher and you are working on a model that looks great every step of the way. It's geared towards LW 8 but it worked great for me on LW 7.5 and I'm sure is useful with LW 9.6. Sometimes they come up on the classifieds forum or ebay.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/modeling_viper.php

RebelHill
11-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Its this statement that makes me wonder where exactly it is that you're having difficulty.

The "leap" that I assume you're needing to make is learning not which buttons and values to use for a specific thing, but the ability to apply those methods to tackle any item.

Anyone can follow a tutorial to make a ship, car, character... whatever... but unless you learn to apply that know how to disparate things, ull only be able to "copy" (as when following tuts)... and none of the tuts out there will really do you any greater service.

All I can recommend is to try and adapt your thinking... if you've learned from a tut the process of modeling a car, and now want to model a tank... try not to think of it as "a tank"... but try instead to see it as all the component pieces from the tools point of view... so the gun barrel is no longer a barrel, but a disc, extrude, bevel, etc, etc.

If this is where the problems for you lie, then you gotta try to learn to "look closer", and pick apart an understanding for yourself as to "why" you perform certain modeling/texturing operations, rather than just going over the same sets of "how's" time and again.

bon chance.