PDA

View Full Version : LWCAD update ?

OlaHaldor
11-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I was going to show a friend of mine a few features of LWCAD. And I hit the online LWCAD manual, and boy was I surprised when it said there was a 3.5 update to the manual, which should've been released november 19..

Did anyone get a newsletter? I sure haven't, but I'm pleased to see the new updates in the manual!

UnCommonGrafx
11-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Checkthe beta download. No email, yet, but it's been in testing for a while.

COBRASoft
11-20-2009, 05:11 PM
And it's superb :)

hrgiger
11-20-2009, 05:15 PM
And it's superb :)

And how is that any different from any previous version?

COBRASoft
11-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Making something superb even more superb is superb :)

calilifestyle
11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
i emailed vik about a request .. city gen. he emailed me back saying that it's n his to do list

hrgiger
11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
A city generator is in his to do list? Something about that strikes me funny.

digefxgrp
11-20-2009, 06:24 PM
And it's superb Yep! Kiss Rounder goodbye.

digefxgrp
11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
A city generator is in his to do list?
Hope it'll be as powerful as this one:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=808733&page=1&pp=20

This thing is sick. Coupled with VRoom....:heart:

COBRASoft
11-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Rope & Chains are also on his to do list...

Nemoid
11-21-2009, 02:59 AM
i think Newtek should in some way hire this guy, or pay him lots of money and include Lwcad natively within CORE. It would actually make the difference compared to other apps.

OlaHaldor
11-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Wow, ropes and chains, and city gen in the future? Yes please! :)

digefxgrp
11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
LWCad 3.5 has been released. :thumbsup:

It is a very nice upgrade.

gordonrobb
11-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Looks good, and Free to. Interestingly he says the upgrade to LWCad Core will be free too. :)

Sekhar
11-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Yes, nice. New thickness tool to finally make it easy to thicken polys. BTW, are the 64 bit and 32 bit versions supposed to be identical? E.g., LW curve to poly lines is missing in the 32 bit one - may be just a mistake.

Matt
11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I got the email, I was prepared to pay for this, but it's FREE!

Wasn't expecting that! THANK YOU Viktor! It's an awesome update!

antsj
11-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Just watched the roads tutorial and a couple other tool tutorials. Viktor has released another great update with features, info on using new tool(s) and including tutorials on use of update with existing tools. (Its also keeping with the updates are free:D.)

Glad to hear that a City Gen tool and other mentioned add ons coming soon!:thumbsup: LWCAD just keeps adding on more options with each update.

I second that NewTek hire the guy.

aj

Matt
11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I second that NewTek hire the guy.

Actually, I'd rather he stayed independent, he will have more creative freedom.

But NewTek do need to look at how incredibly useful, powerful and intuitive LWCAD tools are, they are exemplar in their execution and rival anything I've seen in LightWave's default modelling tools. In fact, they rival a lot of tools in modo too.

OlaHaldor
11-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Because of LWCAD, I'm not looking over the fence and the grass that's supposed to be greener on the other side. :)

And until I know more about CORE, I will continue to use LW 9, until I feel I somehow NEED to get on with CORE. Great thing though to see LWCAD for CORE will be free for LWCAD 3 users, and might bias me into getting CORE earlier than I had thought, whenever either is released.

hrgiger
11-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Bravo Viktor. Another winning update! And I love the fact that he's confident enough to announce a CORE version (and for free for registered owners).

Where are you guys getting the news about a city generator, ropes and chains? I havent' seen anything on that. I've seen that NURBS surfaces are coming to version 4.

hrgiger
11-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Because of LWCAD, I'm not looking over the fence and the grass that's supposed to be greener on the other side. :)

Everyone always says that FPrime is one of the reasons that they stay with Lightwave. I can't slight the usefulness of FPrime, but LWCAD is what makes LW really shine for me.

Hieron
11-21-2009, 08:26 PM
heh, I wonder if "hire this guy" is an option, the guy needs to agree you know :) Plenty of good reasons to stay independent too.

If anything, urge NT to allow great possibilities to make plugins for Core to aid them. But I guess that's already in the works :)

hrgiger
11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Well Newtek is looking for another modeling engineer: http://www.newtek.com/newtek/career_3d_software_engineer.php

jin choung
11-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Great thing though to see LWCAD for CORE will be free for LWCAD 3 users, and might bias me into getting CORE earlier than I had thought, whenever either is released.

yah... i had little interest in establishing any kind of connection to core before they show their cards but viktor has single handedly made that connection for many of us.

not to mention that viktor is single handedly making lw one helluva compelling modeler even in this day and age.

newtek should thank their lucky stars they have him.

jin

jin choung
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
i dunno, it needs to support edge selections

looks like it does. just not lw's edges... lwcad has its own selection dealies for edges and they look very very functional.

jin

eagleeyed
11-22-2009, 01:54 AM
I have version 2 at the moment, am definitely paying the upgrade fee as soon as I get back from holiday.

This program was definitely one of the main factors I bought a commercial license of LW instead of another package.

juanjgon
11-22-2009, 03:06 AM
As always Viktor has made a incredible work with this new release. Congrats :)

JBT27
11-22-2009, 03:18 AM
heh, I wonder if "hire this guy" is an option, the guy needs to agree you know :) Plenty of good reasons to stay independent too.

If anything, urge NT to allow great possibilities to make plugins for Core to aid them. But I guess that's already in the works :)

I think there's every reason to stay independent ..... no matter how accomplished and innovative developers are, and what ideas they have, the pin-striped elements of NT may ultimately stifle those ideas and dampen development.

I'm more than happy to keep buying into LWCAD upgrades - Viktor and NT need each other, and providing they keep talking when it comes to developing, and Viktor wants to keep developing LWCAD, I don't see the point of breaking what ain't broken.

The last thing we need is innovators like Viktor under the control of pin-striped management ..... bad mix.

Julian.

Nemoid
11-22-2009, 03:27 AM

Well, mine was actually only a suggestion.
I am usually for native tools unless they are for very specific tasks.
Lw CAD are so good, they are quite a must have.
BTW Viktor knows whats better for him and no problem at all.

Since CORE should allow a very deep integration of plugins within the app, I think they will be a great benefit for the app even more than now.

COBRASoft
11-22-2009, 04:42 AM
HRGiger, because I asked him about ropes and chains around release of v3 in the beta program. He answered my mail that it is on his to do list, but other things had higher priority I guess. But it is coming for sure.

I also mailed him about NT and that he should apply for the job. I can't answer in his place on this, so drop him a note about it and see what if we can convince him (and NT)...

Darth Mole
11-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Downloaded but not yet installed - is it really the Rounder replacement I've been waiting (and crying out) for?? Richard Brak did a great job on Rounder, but it wasn't ever quite complete - so hoping LWCAD is it!

JohnMarchant
11-22-2009, 06:23 AM
And i cant wait to see LWCAD Core sounds great.

dee
11-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Great update, thanks Viktor! :thumbsup:

hrgiger
11-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Cobrasoft, ok yeah I figured it was a private comment to someone. And I think several people have emailed him the link to the job position. Viktor can decide if that's whats best for him. I'm not even sure what Viktor does for a day job now. I find it hard to believe that someone as bright and talented as Viktor doesn't already have a great job.

And I don't know if the current Lightwave SDK places any restrictions on Viktor when creating LWCAD, but the idea of him creating for CORE is exciting. The CORE SDK without the same limits would allow you for example to pick up a dropped modifying tool and adjust its parameters again. It would also allow him to make his cloning tools create instances instead of indidual geometry making better use of memory resources.

hrgiger
11-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Downloaded but not yet installed - is it really the Rounder replacement I've been waiting (and crying out) for?? Richard Brak did a great job on Rounder, but it wasn't ever quite complete - so hoping LWCAD is it!

It's better. You can have open holes on your model and it still works regardless.

COBRASoft
11-22-2009, 07:13 AM
hrgiger: yeah, the 'rounder' stuff is amazing, as is the mass offset tool.

Hieron
11-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Perhaps LWCad is his day job. No clue on sales but who knows how many people have got a license, I surely wish it to be so for him and for us. Nothing like an independent developer pushing some limits. (and NT making sure he can) And he seems to be from Slovakia, correct? I'm quite sure that each LWCad sale, have a good purchasing power there, and rightly so.

Hmm I'm getting tired of Rounder, that looks pretty nice indeed!

OlaHaldor
11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Allrighty, I finally got to play a little with this road tool.

I made a curve, used jitter on it so I would get some random elevation. Bazing! No problem at all! Heck! I imagine creating the landscape first, then a curve and then making the road will be like childs play.

I didn't save my testing, but it hit me after I quit Modeler. Making lamps for the road will be a blast as well. Either by creating the lamp and save it as a fence, or create a lamp and rail cloning it. This has SO MANY possibilities my head is getting all messed up.. :)

Darth Mole
11-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Wow. Mass Round is freakin' awesome. Time to delete Rounder from the menu...

Stunt Pixels
11-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Hmmm... So does anyone know if the version of LW-Cad we had included with a version of LW ages back (and which we got serial numbers emailed for), is valid to upgrade from?

hrgiger
11-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Hmmm... So does anyone know if the version of LW-Cad we had included with a version of LW ages back (and which we got serial numbers emailed for), is valid to upgrade from?

http://www.wtools3d.com/buy-now.php

It says that upgrading to 3.5 from 1.5 is eligible until December 31st 2009. So step to it.

Stunt Pixels
11-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Ahhh, cool. Well, I guess that seals it! Cheers.

jin choung
11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Yep, I upgraded to 2 from the lw included version so you should have no trouble. Also as hr says since you can go to latest version for $149 it's a great deal.

Jin

Hieron
11-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Hmm when was that? I remember something about it vaguely. Got a LW 8 and LW 9 (one at home, other work), I do remember when I bought one of them LWCad was mentioned, or it was VUE (or both).. not sure.

adk
11-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow. Mass Round is freakin' awesome. Time to delete Rounder from the menu...

I wouldn't delete it just yet as the old battleaxe actually does some handy simple things that Mass Round has issues with (or silly me hasn't quite figured out how to get it to do those just yet) But in all :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: to Viktor & yet another amazing update.

jwiede
11-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Yep, another amazing update from Viktor. Honestly, others have said as much, and I have to agree, he single-handedly keeps Modeler viable, IMO. If it weren't for LWCAD I would have dropped Modeler by now for most tasks. Instead, thanks largely to LWCAD's added functionality, LW/Modeler is still my "building" modeler of choice.

I wish he'd charged at least a little for 3.5 though, I feel like he's actually being too generous in terms of how much he's added versus payment received. I'd rather pay a bit more to ensure a healthy future for LWCAD.

ken_g9
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM
If I upgrade from the bundled LWCAD 1.5 (from the LW 9 upgrade) to LWCAD 3.5, would I be eligible for the free update to LWCAD for Core?

Just wondering since the site says

LWCAD CORE upgrade

Users with purchased LWCAD 3.x have guaranteed FREE upgrade to LWCAD CORE

Makes me think that people who upgrade are not included...

hrgiger
11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
It sounds to me as thought every registered owner of LWCAD 3 would be eligible no matter if you purchased it outright or are upgrading from an older version.

jin choung
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
If I upgrade from the bundled LWCAD 1.5 (from the LW 9 upgrade) to LWCAD 3.5, would I be eligible for the free update to LWCAD for Core?

Just wondering since the site says

Makes me think that people who upgrade are not included...

yah, i wouldn't worry about it. considering viktor, it would be SHOCKING to find that you're not covered.

jin

ken_g9
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Cool! Thanks hrgiger and jin!

jin choung
11-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Cool! Thanks hrgiger and jin!

np... oh, and i'm planning on upgrading to 3.5 myself with the understand and expectation of free upgrade to lwcad core so at least you'll have company in that same boat.

but imo, to bastardize an ol' sayin', a lwcad in the 9.6 is worth two lwcad's in the core.

jin

Lewis
11-23-2009, 01:03 AM
From look of videos and manuals this 3.5 plugin is soo good and has so many functions that it could be stand alone application :). Great work Viktor.

colkai
11-23-2009, 01:47 AM
I installed the update last night and tried some of the new features. Looks like another winner to me :)

As if there was ever any doubt. ;) :D

Ckeri
11-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Haven't upgraded yet.

Can someone test and maybe post some pics here how well thickener works with complex geometry. If that works, it's reason enough to buy this update.

Cheers,

hrgiger
11-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Haven't upgraded yet.

Can someone test and maybe post some pics here how well thickener works with complex geometry. If that works, it's reason enough to buy this update.

Cheers,

What do you mean by complex? Everything I've tested it on so far, it works like I expected it to. Randomly I get a weird polygon that goes a little haywire but it is random and each time its gone away if I redo the operation.

Here's a couple of primitives, one of them with n-gons. I've tried it with tris too without problems.

Ckeri
11-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Here's a couple of primitives, one of them with n-gons. I've tried it with tris too without problems.

Thanks for the pics.

Have you used Blochi's Thickener (http://www.blochi.com/gfx/thickener_en.html) how does that lwcad thickener compares to that? That Blochi's thickener works with most objects, but sometimes it creates overlapping polygons and other bad geometry. I can send some images when I get home.

Cheers,

johncmurphy
11-23-2009, 05:50 AM
I wish he'd charged at least a little for 3.5 though, I feel like he's actually being too generous in terms of how much he's added versus payment received. I'd rather pay a bit more to ensure a healthy future for LWCAD.
I second that.

archijam
11-23-2009, 09:18 AM
yah, i wouldn't worry about it. considering viktor, it would be SHOCKING to find that you're not covered.

jin

The upgrade policy has been updated.

http://www.wtools3d.com/newsletter/2009/11/#3

edit: and fair enough :)

Larry_g1s
11-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Congratulations Viktor on this excellent update. I've been beta testing for a bit, and I've gotta say that this is the most stable version of LWCAD I've ever used. The Mass Rounder tool is fantastic, and I can't wait to dive more in to the road tools. One of my favorite additions to this release is the OpenGL buttons! Minor but valuable addition.

I second on his generosity. I was actually surprised when he said he wasn't going to charge for this update. We gotta make sure we keep supporting people like this then, so they can continue to do what we enjoy they produce. ;)

goakes
11-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Add a strong +1 for me on that Larry.

jin choung
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
i hope not, usually when stuffs intergrated its dead, look at rounder.

better its independant and free to be all it can be imo :)

absolutely.

in newtek's case, acquisition means death. as cited, rounder. another big one is motion mixer.

jin

ken_g9
11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
np... oh, and i'm planning on upgrading to 3.5 myself with the understand and expectation of free upgrade to lwcad core so at least you'll have company in that same boat.

Just got a reply from Viktor...all registered users of 3.x will get the free upgrade to LWCAD Core. :thumbsup:

That settles it I guess, I'm upgrading! :D

Snosrap
11-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the pics.

Have you used Blochi's Thickener (http://www.blochi.com/gfx/thickener_en.html) how does that lwcad thickener compares to that? That Blochi's thickener works with most objects, but sometimes it creates overlapping polygons and other bad geometry. I can send some images when I get home.

Cheers,

Yes Blochi's Thickener 3 is nice. The new LWCad Thickness tool as Viktor calls it is nice as well - however it does not work on a subpatched mesh.

Matt
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
in newtek's case, acquisition means death. as cited, rounder

Exactly.

COBRASoft
11-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I follow the way you guys think and I'm afraid you're right.

But the problem I see is that users of LW/CORE will be 'forced' to buy this plugin to have the power we have thanks to LWCAD. This should be native in LW/CORE to overclass the competition by default (done by Viktor or anybody else). We don't know the development skills of 'other' persons, but we sure know the fabulous skills of Viktor.

If NT does sales bundles again like they did with LW 8.5 + LWCAD + free upgrade 9, it would be a killer though!

hrgiger
11-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes Blochi's Thickener 3 is nice. The new LWCad Thickness tool as Viktor calls it is nice as well - however it does not work on a subpatched mesh.

Is it really that hard though to turn off SDS and then thicken, and then turn SDS back on?

geo_n
11-23-2009, 09:44 PM

dstorms thickner is also ok. with option to change surface of inner,side, outer

Sekhar
11-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Is it really that hard though to turn off SDS and then thicken, and then turn SDS back on?

What is SDS? If you mean subdivision, it doesn't work whether or not you have it on/off when you thicken: the geometry gest messed up the moment you subd it. Blochi's plugin doesn't have this issue.

hrgiger
11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
What is SDS? If you mean subdivision, it doesn't work whether or not you have it on/off when you thicken: the geometry gest messed up the moment you subd it. Blochi's plugin doesn't have this issue.

SDS is subdivision surfaces.

Well experimenting with it more, I see it works sometimes and doesn't work with other things. The reason it doesn't work some of the times, is because it is adding an internal edge on some of the polygons connecting the front and back face. I'll send a model example to Viktor and see if that can be addressed.

EDIT: Actually deleting some of the faces reveals that there are whole polygons connecting between the back and front face. Seems like it may be an easy fix. I'll ask him about the SDS issue.

jin choung
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
I follow the way you guys think and I'm afraid you're right.

But the problem I see is that users of LW/CORE will be 'forced' to buy this plugin to have the power we have thanks to LWCAD. This should be native in LW/CORE to overclass the competition by default (done by Viktor or anybody else). We don't know the development skills of 'other' persons, but we sure know the fabulous skills of Viktor.

If NT does sales bundles again like they did with LW 8.5 + LWCAD + free upgrade 9, it would be a killer though!

actually, we may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves... i'm assuming viktor is speaking hypothetically - as in, at some point in time after core's release, when he can then start to do the work to implement lwcad in core and debug and get it all ironed out nice and neat, it will be a free upgrade.

but isn't it kinda jumping the gun to expect a 3rd party plugin - ANY third party plugin to be ready and available DAY ONE?

i mean unless he's actively involved in CORE development itself, he'll have to at least wait until the dev kit is in a usable state.

and that means that if he's not a core developer as of yesterday, we're NOT going to see lwcad day one. pretty much as a certainty.

jin

hrgiger
11-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Yes, I believe Jin is correct. And that's not coming from me as a CORE member with inside knowledge, I really don't know the status of LWCAD for CORE. We dont' even know if CORE is complete enough (as far as the SDK for third parties go) to give Viktor all the access he needs to implement LWCAD into CORE. I'm sure after CORE is released that you could probably email him and he'd tell you. He's very good at getting back to people who contact him.

COBRASoft
11-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Day 1 is simply impossible if he's not involved in the development team, that's my whole point I'm trying to make here. If we could get him involved or convince them (Viktor and NT), day 1, 2 or 3 could be possible.

The main problem is that Viktor is only 1 guy. If something happens to him, everything of LWCad is probably lost. Now, that would be a shame, no?

jin choung
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
If something happens to him, everything of LWCad is probably lost. Now, that would be a shame, no?

don't give luxology any ideas!

jin

hrgiger
11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Well Viktor got back to me about thickener and said that it does not work wtih subdivision surfaces and it is not an error. He did say however that thickener will work with NURBS surfaces in version 4. I can dig that.

Sekhar
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Well Viktor got back to me about thickener and said that it does not work wtih subdivision surfaces and it is not an error. He did say however that thickener will work with NURBS surfaces in version 4. I can dig that.

Thanks for checking. Now, go away and enjoy the run-up to Thanksgiving. :)

jin choung
11-24-2009, 04:34 PM

maaaaaaaan, i have been waiting forever for nurbs surfaces in lwcad... i suggested it the minute he implemented nurbs curves and he put it on his todo list shortly after....

i can only imagine the power of being able to trim and blend with impunity inside of lw....

having all the ease of use and accessibility of lw combined with all the power and accuracy of rhino.

jin

hrgiger
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
i can only imagine the power of being able to trim and blend with impunity inside of lw....

having all the ease of use and accessibility of lw combined with all the power and accuracy of rhino.

jin

And if we know Viktor, he'll knock it out of the f'in park too.

flashover
11-26-2009, 03:31 PM
LWCAD the dream come true :thumbsup:

hrgiger
11-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Just thought I'd post an update about thicken. I emailed Viktor orginally and told him that thicken was creating some internal polygons which is why it was creating a mesh that was not suitable for Subdivsion surfaces. He responded and told me that there must be something wrong or something wasn't merged because it shouldn't happen. So I emailed him back with a specific model file that created the internal polygons and he did acknowledge that it appeared to be a bug and he said he'd fix it.

Here's what I found while experimenting. If you thicken by pulling polygons inwards, it doesn't seem to create the issue. But if you thicken by pushing the polygons outwards, it does sometimes create internal 'bridging' polygons. Only happens on some meshes. Either way, as long as Viktor fixes the bug, you should be able to use thicken on SDS, you just have to turn them off before you thicken and turn them back on after.

Waves of light
11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I cannot believe that was a free upgrade... The live openGL buttons for add sub int (instead of having to go to the menu) and the mass round, plus other fixes.

colkai
11-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Like I said, awesomeness supplied as standard. ;)

OlaHaldor
11-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Woohoo! Got to use the thickener today to make a very interesting roff on a shed. Oh yeah! This update rocks!

Can't wait to see how you guys would solve those tricky road making situations like highways vs. on-ramps.. ;)