View Full Version : UV maps are disappearing-any help?

Brian Dumas
11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I've created a set of boxes with a UV image mapped to them.
After a while the image gets translated into different languages and I need to use the existing boxes to create the new versions.
Typically: I create the new JPEG, open the existing LW model, open the Image Editor, hit the Replace button and swap the old image for the new one.
So far so good.

Now I have someone helping me with this task. I hand off the English version of the box and the new JPEG.
Once they open the LW model however, there is no UV image visible. It doesn't show up in the Image Editor, and trying to reimport the image through the Surface Editor won't work either.

Any guesses at what I may be missing?

We're both running LW 8.5 on Macs
OS 10.5.8
2 X 3 GHz Quad-Core Intels
4 GB 800 MHz

11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Check and make sure the content directory for both systems match and the files are in their respective places.

11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
You can also generate duplicates in the image editor. Opens in Preview then save to the relevant directory if you have multiple objects using the same image.

Brian Dumas
11-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Check and make sure the content directory for both systems match and the files are in their respective places.

I made sure everything was in the same folder prior to the handoff.
When we launch Modeler it requests the JPEG (standard behavior), we direct it to the JPEG but once the Object file opens there is no image.

We have even tried going back to the Surface Editor to re-load the image. Once we select Load Image, the dialog opens prompting us for the image, we direct it to the image and click Open. The image never shows up, and the pulldown menu still indicates we haven't selected an image.8~

I've tried it with a couple of different files which leads me to believe it's a system failure somewhere as opposed to a corrupt file or similar anomaly.

11-20-2009, 01:01 PM
LW has had a history of trouble with the jpeg.p plugin, try a different image format. Jpg quality sucks anyway. Or at least reload the plugin.

If Modeler requests the image then your content directory is not set or it's broken.

Brian Dumas
11-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Changing the image format to TGA worked.
Makes no sense to me that the same workflow functioned without issue for 6 years, but reinstall on someone's station and now it's time to rewrite the support documentation.:stumped:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

11-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Woohoo! Another defeat for jpeg! :)
Unfortunately the .jpeg plugin works *just well enough* that people don't think it's a problem, when actually it's a little gremlin. You may find that you have more stability without them, a lot of people have.