PDA

View Full Version : New Tutorial Series From NewTek

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 04:51 PM
As part of their committment to making LightWave 3D the best documented, easiest to use professional 3D program in world, NewTek presents a new series of tutorial and reference videos.

These videos, which will be available as free downloads, will showcase every aspect of LightWave 3D. The goal is to create a better educated user base and to empower LightWave users to tell their own stories and to communicate with more ease of use and power.

The first video in the series is available to download right now.

LScript Part One : Introduction To LScript Commander
This video showcases one of LightWave's real time savers - the ability to easily create your own tools using LScript Commander. If you think LScript is just for hardcore programmer types, guess again - every LightWave user can benefit from understanding Lscript and the Commander is the easiest way to start.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/LScript1_Commander.mov

Time : 9 Minutes. Approx 15 meg download, Quicktime Format. Please run your browser at least 1280x1024 resolution.

Comments? Suggestions? Leave 'em here!

milkman
09-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Cool!
How in depth are you planning on going with these?

Doug Nicola
09-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks a lot Lee and NT! I really liked the DFX+ video tutorials. Very helpful. A series like this for LW will be fantastic.

Thanks again!

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 05:05 PM
The plan is to have a number of videos, on a number of different topics. Some of these could be based on user feedback or suggestions. There's no limit, per se, on how 'deep' they will go.

They aren't meant to take the place of a class or seminar - mainly because of the lack of student / teacher interaction - but still, we think it help significantly add to the LightWave user's knowledge. The MIT open courseware thing currently being discussed elsewhere is a good example - audit the classes for free, basically - but you aren't getting a degree or teacher time for free.

I hope this helped. Main point - no limit on what will be taught, and assuming the user base likes it, you'll probably see a fair number of these.

js33
09-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Lee,

How about a character animation and a hard/soft body tutorial based on the new character and hard/soft body dynamics.
Also an in depth tutorial on expressions would be cool.

Cheers,
JS

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 05:21 PM
We'll cover expressions, for sure...

No plans to cover LW[8] stuff until shipping, although some of the videos may mention LW[8] stuff where it's relevant.

riki
09-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks Lee and NT, great to see.

BTW is there any Mac based software for generating these sort of video files?

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 05:41 PM
I use Camtasia to produce the videos, and as far as I know there's nothing equivilent on the Mac...I'd love to be proven wrong, though...

js33
09-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Expressions will be cool. I think this is one area of real power that Lightwave has that is very under utilized due too little coverage of practical uses.

Looking forward to LW 8 tutorials once it's released.

Cheers,
JS

GruvSyco
09-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Nice... I actually didn't know that.

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks - my experience has shown that a lot of people don't know about many of the features in LightWave. This isn't anyone's fault, either - the manual is a good reference manual but it's not a learning manual.

By the way, there are also a bunch of new DFX tutorials - go to this thread....

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10103&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Four new ones in the last couple of days, and some very impressive features shown - check out the one on Macros to see what I mean. This DFX+ deal will end on September 15th, and you will want to take advantage of it!

hrgiger
09-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Cool Lee, I'm downloading as we speak...

Elmar Moelzer
09-01-2003, 07:15 PM
Cool tutorial Lee!
CU
Elmar

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 07:50 PM
New LW Tutorial

LScript Part 2 : LScript Commander Tricks
Here's how to do something you can't do - namely, create a keyboard shortcut for something that you can't create a keyboard shortcut for. Watch this short video - it'll all make sense.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/LS_CommanderTricks.mov

Time : 5 minutes. Size : 6.5 Megs, QuickTime

Triple G
09-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by riki

After a quick search on Versiontracker, I found these:

ScreenRecord (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18453)
ScreenTool (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19181)
Snapz Pro X (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11530)

I haven't personally tried them, so I can't vouch for their quality or usability, though according to Versiontracker, they seem to have gotten pretty good reviews from users who've downloaded them.

*edit*
Oh yeah...thanks for the tutorials Lee! Watching them right now...:cool:

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Awesome, Trip - thanks...

milkman
09-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Wow! Two videos in one day. I am impressed

Thank you sir!

That first video taught me quite a bit! I havn't even touched LScripting

julos
09-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Finally ! videos are good, and free videos are even better. :D

It seems there is a lot of good learning material for Lightwave but always very expensive (3d garage, splinegod etc...), when the others have great free vids (3d buzz, max, maya...).

So it's good news :)

I would especially like to see videos on mapping and painting your models, and then specific subjects like lighting a room with radiosity and hdri or lighting a car.
And yes a good video tutorial on Motion mixer would be great. :)

SplineGod
09-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Hey Julo,
You have to remember theres a big difference between a few minutes of free stuff and a full blown online course with unlimited support. I have over an hour of free vids HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm) .
Good to see other stuff going up though :)

julos
09-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Hey splinegod, i do understand the difference, but i'm very glad that a company like Newtek releases free videos.
Max and Maya have hours of quality free training on 3dbuzz, your free videos might be good they do miss the rest of your lessons to have a proper learning curve...

GruvSyco
09-01-2003, 10:09 PM
so... is there an lscript commander somewhere in modeler too?

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Great question. Sad answer.

No. I don't know why, either.

riki
09-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the links Triple G. I'm checking them out now. I must admit I like video tuts, can't get enough of them. The format seems more personal and great to give an idea of workflow.

Damn now I gotta buy the coco script :)

GruvSyco
09-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Stranahan
Great question. Sad answer.

No. I don't know why, either.

Well... maybe you can nudge a developer on your next trip to the Newtek offices.

Stranahan
09-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Yes, Another New LW Tutorial

LightWave 3D Expressions Part 1 : Nuts And Bolts
If you've never used LightWave's expressions system before, you're missing out on a ton of power. The problem is that expressions have been made out to be intimidating. Even the NewTek manual makes them out to be some obscure that only Nobel prize winners and programmers should try to tackle.

Not true! Expressions in LightWave are for everybody!

Expressionphobia will vanish after you watch this easy to follow, straightforward video on the basic mechanics of expressions. This video is designed for beginners, so if you haven't even touched the expression system it's the place for you to start.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/Expressions1_NutsAndBolts.mov

Time : 13 minutes. Size : 15 Megs, QuickTime

Karmacop
09-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by GruvSyco
Well... maybe you can nudge a developer on your next trip to the Newtek offices.

Or punch one in the face until they do it :p

Great videos Lee. The only thing that's wrong is that it sounds like you have a runnin tap in the background ;)

I really like them though, I didn't know the commander was so easy to use. :)

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Thom Yorke mode on
Kaaarmaaaaacop, arrest this developer...
I'll stop now...

The audio thing is tricky on these, because it's a big bandwidth hog - so I use a lower bit depth, and 22Kh...and I sound a like....umm....Cyloney.

But at least you don't have to look at me....

Karmacop
09-02-2003, 12:36 AM
Speaking of Radiohead I heard that their producer Nigel GodRich uses .. or has used Lightwave. Well .. I was excited .. :p

robinson
09-02-2003, 12:44 AM
Hi Lee great lscript stuff, never “wanted” to learn this part of Lightwave.
So keep this lscript examples coming !!!

How far can I go ? I just thought about advanced camera presets (ok not to advanced but useful).

Example: The “Avid” output…
Change the whole camera presets with one button. (Resolution, Pixel Aspect, AA, Motion Blur, Field Rendering, looks like a few things are not working... resolution, field rendering...), and then a specific rendering output destination for these setting.
(you know, kind of like Digital Fusion, hope you understand what I mean, but damn I guess that’s not working)

I’m just wondering about a few unimportant things too….

Coconut Example:
The lcript commander is just working if I move an item in the viewport, but it’s not working when I type in a specific position, am I right about that ?
Ok, you can edit the lscript in notepad…

AA Example:
And a second question, how can I assign a shortcut to AA enhanced low not just low (Antialiasing 1).

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 01:04 AM
These are just the 2 first lessons on LScript - lots more coming on this topic, as well as more on every aspect of LightWave...including...Lighting, Radiosity, Real World HDRI, SubD Modeling Concepts, UV Mapping, and a bunch of other stuff is planned.

Just remember who loves you. NewTek loves you, that's who!

(But love in a friend way. Not 'love' love. Calm down.)

geoff
09-02-2003, 01:13 AM
Hi Lee

Thanks for the great vids (downloading and watching at the moment).

Any news on a location for the London seminar yet?

I go away on holiday on Thursday, and could do with knowing where to book accommodation in London before I go :-)

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Well, I know where I'm STAYING in the UK...

But the seminar location - not yet. I hope today. I want to talk to dealers (not many) and Universities. Some people over there are looking into it...

But still - anyone who knows of a nice room in London with chairs that has the ability to become dark, and nearby restrooms...something that can hold 12-20 people....let me know.

I have the projector and the screen and the computer.

robinson
09-02-2003, 01:18 AM
Hehe, I apologize for everything I said in the past, sorry newtek can’t wait for the 8…:)

After these tutorials I’m really looking forward to Amsterdam !!! :D

Oh and BTW Lee I would know a room like that in Berlin...

js33
09-02-2003, 01:19 AM
How about a tut on advanced expressions. You know the "rocket science stuff" :D like how to use sin, cos, how to calculate trajectories, make a wheel of a car rotate based on distance, how to convert real formulas into expressions and so on.

Cheers,
JS

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 01:22 AM
We'll get to the more advanced stuff, after the basic stuff.

That other stuff isn't hard - it's a matter of askig someone, really, and knowing how to input that information. That's where people have the problems.

I'm more about production and workflow. Expression make your life easier and your work better. That's what excites me. But - you'll see. More coming...

js33
09-02-2003, 01:25 AM
OK thanks Lee.
Thats the problem with alot of tutorials, not yours just in general, that they give you a taste of something but never show you enough to really put something into production.

Cheers,
JS

robinson
09-02-2003, 01:31 AM
BTW JS

Here is a advanced one, at least for a expression newb...:eek:

http://www.richardbrak.net/tutorials/copter/index.html

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 01:39 AM
The videos aren't a 'sampler' as an upsell to something else, so they will just keep going in depth on topics as needed. It's just part of NewTek's continuing commitment to making LightWave the best supported 3D software on Earth.

grundgedanke
09-02-2003, 01:41 AM
berlin? ok, well, i would also be able to give you room in cologne - if you think to do a training in germany :-)

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 01:45 AM
I've been to Germany once, I loved it. The reason I don't schedule there is that I think it's somewhat rude to do training in Germany in English. I don't speak German - so....

In The Netherlands, while the main language is Dutch, everyone speaks English. (In Amsterdam, anyway.) I know a lot of users in Germany speak English, but that's my worry.

Matt
09-02-2003, 01:46 AM
Excellent Lee!

I'm really loving NewTek at the moment!!! :)

Dunno who's making the decisions but I hope they keep making them!

:D

Karmacop
09-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Just something simple .. and a shot at Lux :p

@warnings
@name 360 turn around

generic
{
AddNull("CameraParent");
SelectItem("Camera");
ParentItem("CameraParent");
SelectItem("CameraParent");
GoToFrame(0);
CreateKey(0);
GoToFrame(60);
AddRotation(-360,0,0);
CreateKey(2);
GoToFrame(0);
}

robinson
09-02-2003, 02:05 AM
The reason I don't schedule there is that I think it's somewhat rude to do training in Germany in English. I don't speak German - so....

rude ? Never saw a german Lightwave version and I don’t think that’s rude, hehe I’m glad about that.
There is much more training material for the cg industry in English anyway, and damn I couldn’t work with the German 3ds max version, all these commands and buttons just toooooooo sound stupid in German, looks like they used babelfish for the translation…:D

js33
09-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by robinson
BTW JS

Here is a advanced one, at least for a expression newb...:eek:

http://www.richardbrak.net/tutorials/copter/index.html

Yes I've seen that. The link is on Newteks tutorial page.

Cheers,
JS

Karmacop
09-02-2003, 02:25 AM
I thought most Germans spoke english anyway? Maybe I'm just being stereotypical :p

Richard kicks arse. <snip>

EDIT: I had stated that Richard had helped Jonny alot with his car scene shown at siggraph where the car followed the null and bent and swayed. This was completely wrong. I apologise to Jonny for the assumptions I made and I didn't mean to put Jonny down at all because as we all know he is an amazing artist. Again Jonny, sorry. :(

grundgedanke
09-02-2003, 02:39 AM
well, i also think most of the germans, and particularly the ones that use lw, speak english. i don´t think you have to worry about that. but it´s very kind of you that you think about that :-) next time, COME TO GERMANY :-)

even if some of us don´t have a perfect english...like me :-)

on the other side...i´m looking forward to amsterdam. it´s a great reason to visit that beautifull city again...

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Ja!

omeone
09-02-2003, 02:49 AM
WOWWOW ! wonderful initiative Lee and NT.

oh, and it's really great that it's on HTTP too, cos I can't get the ftp tutes.

thank you
~omeone

oh and I lived in Germany for a while - they wouldn't even let me try to speak German, and the people were waaay to wise to be offended, in fact the greatest impression I got from Germany was their thirst for embracing foreign cultures, beside LW is an international language all of it's own, aawwwwww ;)

omeone
09-02-2003, 02:54 AM
Sorry, just another quick point, I live in Ireland - and it's actually easier for me to get to Germany than London or Amsterdam. for the next time... ;)

grundgedanke
09-02-2003, 03:16 AM
Ja!

Er spricht Deutsch :)

Ja! ? Ja was?

What should this yes tell us, beside the fact that you speak german? :D

Original1
09-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Lee,

Do you have a firm Date for this yet?

Have a word with Andy Bishop, He did a demo for one of the distributors in a room that was along the lines you want.

anieves
09-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Thanks Lee and NT, great to see.

don't know if somebody answered your question but I think Snapz pro does what you want.

snapz pro x (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/)

geoff
09-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi Lee
Noticed while watching the vids that you seem to be using a windows explorer add-on/replacement that shows directory file sizes in the explorer window....

Would you mind sharing it's name

Emmanuel
09-02-2003, 09:17 AM
C'mon LEE !

Wese in germanse doo speaking at leastso good as Jar Jar Binks, forse sure !

No really, I mean, its true, we are accustomed to speak english in germany, cause we are international, especially Berlin.
Weak excuse, Lee, You just can't handle the BEER !!!:D

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 09:31 AM
I'd love to have a word with Andy bishop! I don't have any contact info...anyone?

Ja shows I speak one word of german.

I use and love Directory Opus - gpsoft.com.au

Karmacop
09-02-2003, 09:36 AM
From what I've heard in the USA what most other countries call light beer they call beer, and what they call light beer we call water ;)

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 09:47 AM
See, people from all over the world make fun of 1) our beer, and 2) our President. Both are considered, at best, light and not serious....

I drink Shiner Bock. Many many years ago, lots of German and Chechs settled in Central Texas. They brought beer and sausage making skills. Texans took the sausage and BBQ'd it. Then they eashed it down with good German made Texas beer, like Shiner....

riki
09-02-2003, 09:51 AM
I went to a Book Launch about two weeks ago. Anyway it was for the launch of a new Beer Book. I was listening to the two authors talking about their daily work schedule, which basically involved getting plasterred on a different kind of beer each day for about 6 months.

Becuase of course unlike wine tasting you need to actually drink the stuff to see how it handles in your gut, which is an essential part of the tasting process :)

I was thinking what a great idea, bugger writing software manuals, Beer Books are the way to go :)

They had a beer from India at the launch, which wasn't bad. I normally drink Cascade a Tasmanian brew.

Karmacop
09-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Riki, possibly you didn't hear about John Birmingham (I think that's his name?) the author of 'dope land' where he was paid to go around australia smoking marijuana for about 6 months? :p

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Uno Mas New LW Tutorial

LScript Part 3 : Overcoming Fear
Do you think you can't learn LScript, just because you're not a programmer? Guess again! LScript gives you amazing power to extend LightWave capabilites - and believe it or not, you already can edit and alter programs, with no more knowledge of programming than you have right now! In this short tutorial, you'll learn about hidden plug-ins, the 3 types of plug-ins for LightWave, and you'll discover that you're already a budding LScript programmer.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/LS3_OvercomingFear.mov

Time : 9 minutes. Size : 19 Megs, QuickTime

milkman
09-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Nice, thanks sir!

What do you plan on covering after L-Scripting?

MD would be fantastic, as of now it makes very little sense to me.

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Milk,

I'm actually not going in any particular order - in other words, I don't need to 'finish' LScript before covering another topic. So...look for Part 1 of motion designer tonight...

milkman
09-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Haha! Thats FANTASTIC!

Thanks a ton, Lee!

Things like this I've never heard of in a software company.

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 06:14 PM
More tutorials from your friends NewTek!!!

Motion Designer Part One : The Basics
Motion Designer is LightWave's power soft body dynamics system, built into LightWave 7. If you're tried to get into Motion Designer, but feel like you aren't getting anywhere - this tutorial is for you! You're gain an undertstanding of the basic Motion Designer workflow, learn simple but powerful modeling techniques for use with MD, and learn the tricks you need to make Motion Designer work for you.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/MD1_TheBasics.mov

Time : 18 minutes. Size : 24 Megs, QuickTime

Triple G
09-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Lee, do you ever sleep?? Say...since you seem to be taking requests...can I have a million dollars? A beautiful wife? How 'bout a new car? :D :D

Seriously though, thanks a bunch for all of the vids...I think it's a really fantastic thing you're doing for the community!

*edit* Just a thought...would it be possible to put a page up, either here or on the learnlightwave site, with links to all these videos so that people don't have to go digging through this huge long thread to find them?

milkman
09-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Lee, are you going to put these on the main Lightwave page so those who don't happen to go to these boards can see it as well?

Triple G
09-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Hehe....Milkman, it appears we think alike. :)

mix
09-02-2003, 06:39 PM
WoW!!,
These vidio tuts are just great.
Never realy got into vid tuts until you started posting the DFX Tutorials, (Awsome!), now Im hooked, keepim comin:D , The LScript commader vids are realy cool too.
BTW when do we get a deeper look at expressions, always find them a bit tricky.
Great job Stranahan, Thanks NT, you'v opened my eyes.

:)

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 06:40 PM
The plan is to transfer them all to a section of the NewTek website. Right now, there's no easy way for me to add tutorials to NewTek's site myself. So, I just put them on my site and posted them here. It's really just to get them out there.

Ideally, each section would have a page where people could rate, discuss, and add to the training with their own hints. But that's just an idea.

Kuzey
09-02-2003, 07:03 PM

Ideally, each section would have a page where people could rate, discuss, and add to the training with their own hints. But that's just an idea.

Sounds like a great idea to me!!

Kuzey

Karmacop
09-02-2003, 08:25 PM
These rock Lee, very cool, very funny ;) How advanced will these tutorials get do you think?

riki
09-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks again Lee, thanks also for making them mov files so that Mac users can also see them.

milkman
09-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Thanks for that MD tutorial, I learned quite a bit more than I knew before!

Stranahan
09-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. I forgot to mention that this is basically a 'pre-release'. When we do the press release later this week (I think), I wanted to make sure there was some content there already. So, get ready to read a sentence in the press release that says..

There are already over X hours of video tutorials online, with topcs ranging from LightWave's soft body dynamics system to scripting with LightWave's built-in LScript language.

Or words to that effect..

Anyway, there's no limit on the in-depthness, but I'm going to do things that break down into nice sized chunks.

mohh
09-02-2003, 11:01 PM
WOW!!

These are great Lee! I've learned more today than I have in a long time. I can't wait to see what else you post! Please keep them coming. :)

badllarma
09-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Well I have to admit I've always thought Stranahan and Splingods input on the forums were how can I say it, of self intrest in just flogging their courses....Sorry guys.

But after the resent postings all I can say is a BIG thanks a lot even these small tuts are just great Stranahan the DFX ones were bloody great in showing a taster of the power that package has after most of them I tend to look like this:D

Now I've just started looking at the L script commander and it's got the old wheels turning, had Lightwave over 12 months and never look at it once (well I lie I open it once took one look thought F$*k that and closed it again). But now really thinking of it within my work flow.

A big thanks again guys keep up the good work look forward to seeing what else you have in store for us:D

SplineGod
09-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by badllarma
Well I have to admit I've always thought Stranahan and Splingods input on the forums were how can I say it, of self intrest in just flogging their courses....Sorry guys.

I think that statement is pretty unfair. Ive been on these forums posting lots of useful information and generally helping people out long before I ever got into doing training. If you dont believe me check out the old Lightwave forums or even here.
Yes I do post information about my courses but the amount of commercials I post or have posted are dwarfed by the helpful ones.

riki
09-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Jeeze!! you need to be pretty thick skinned around here.

It seems that the people that help us out the most are the ones that come under attack.

Recently: Proton, Dan, Lee, who's next?? Larry and Deuce??

badkarma I think you need to make the kind of contribution that these guys have made before your comments will carry any weight.

Stranahan
09-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I didn't take it as an attack, but a reconsideration. And I appreciated it.

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 12:19 AM
I didnt take it as an attack but simply a misobservation. :)

badllarma
09-03-2003, 01:16 AM
misobservation

about right I don't really visit the other parts of the forums mainly just hang here in the community which of course is not the area to say "I'm stuck on this please help" so no dout you have both helped 1000's with your knowledge just I aint seen it thats all.

No attack at all from me, riki

just happy with all the great info within these VTM's :)

riki
09-03-2003, 01:23 AM
That's cool, sorry maybe my misobservation.

Original1
09-03-2003, 02:31 AM
Lee,

Contact no for Andy Bishop

I tried this first - no luck but its a good interview and tutorial if you haven't seen it

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/darkside/1.html

theres a contact no on Darksides Site

http://www.dsanim.com/

email [email protected]

anieves
09-03-2003, 07:27 AM
thanks for the videos! SWEEET!

Zarathustra
09-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Ah, it takes me back to that seminar in Philly last fall...
These are great, Lee. You got a knack for making things seem safe and easy.

I'm glad I had the pleasure of meeting you, too. Sure thankful you're with NT.

Stranahan
09-03-2003, 11:28 AM
New Tutorial? Okay, here you go...

LScript Part 4 : The Secret Tools
This short video reveals some of the cool LScript that you already have on your system and probably weren't aware of - LSID and LSED. If those don't ring a bell, watch this video!

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/LS4_SecretTools.mov

Time : 7 Minutes. Size 7.5 Megs. Quicktime.

(Do I have to keep saying Quicktime? Note to world they are all QuickTime There, Mr. Jobs - I've done my part! I said Quicktime, a lot. Now can I have my firstborn male child back, PLEASE?)

KillMe
09-03-2003, 01:23 PM
rebel use divx avi :D

mattclary
09-03-2003, 01:58 PM

(Do I have to keep saying Quicktime? Note to world they are all QuickTime

Yeah, that .MOV extension is pretty much a dead giveaway. :)

Stranahan
09-03-2003, 04:41 PM
[i]NewTek presents another new tutorial[/]

Gradients Part 1: The Basics
Graidents are a very poweful feature in LightWave, and it's crucial to understand Gradients into order to use features like the particle system. This series of tutorials will help to reveal how the Gradient system works. This introduction covers the bare essentials including the use of the Previous Layer parameter, as well as covering topics like using Viper.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/Grad1_Intro_PrevLayer.mov

Time : 11 Minutes. Size 17 Megs.

milkman
09-03-2003, 04:44 PM
great! thanks!

mohh
09-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Man,

You sure are cranking these puppies out!! Very impressive. :)

mr_nebel
09-03-2003, 07:14 PM
My modem is hating me right now, 200MBs in the download queue and counting :D

Keep them coming!

Stranahan
09-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Another tutorial, brought to you by NewTek

LightWave Essentials : The Color Requestor
Part of a continuing series covering the stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Great for beginners but even seasoned LightWave vets might pick up a thing or two.

This lesson is on using the LightWave color requestor - a number of little hidden features in this very common control.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/Misc_ColorRequest.mov

Time : 4 Minutes. Size 8 Megs.

Karmacop
09-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Slow down, I haven't even had time to get the secret tools video yet! :p

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Now theyre not secret anymore eh? :)

denny
09-03-2003, 08:16 PM
This DFX+ deal will end on September 15th, and you will want to take advantage of it!

Is this officially the end date? I have decided to go for it and now trying to scrounge up the cash to upgrade and then will worry about coming up with a PC for DFX+ later.

Newtek's site doesn't state the end date, just the limited time offer type of statement for the past few months.

Chuck or anyone that can state this is the end? I've only got 12 days left then.

dwburman
09-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey Lee, Have you messed with expressions in DFX+ yet? I looked at it but it looked more complicated than LW's or After Effect's?

Thanks for the videos. It is impressive the amount that you're turning out.

isnowboard
09-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Another tutorial, brought to you by NewTek

I dare you to make 100 video tutorials! What are you on now? Six? Six and counting..... I'm always willing to learn more. Thank you and hope they continue.

julos
09-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Great !!! Keep them coming, at this rate you'll have hundreds soon, for our benefit. :)

Stranahan
09-04-2003, 12:33 AM
Thanks...

The current official end date for the DFX+ offer has been stated as September 15th. As of right now, I wouldn't assume it's going to go past that. It may, of course - but that would be gambling as far as I'm concerned, so I really would not assume it.

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Is still running in countries such as .. Australia?

denny
09-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Thanks...

The current official end date for the DFX+ offer has been stated as September 15th. As of right now, I wouldn't assume it's going to go past that. It may, of course - but that would be gambling as far as I'm concerned, so I really would not assume it.

Thanks Lee! I'll take that as "official" as needed then! They do need to update their website though. The buy page doesn't have any dates, but the Eyeon deal page shows "Offer Expires June 30, 2003 -- Click here to order now!" (http://www.newtek.com/eyeon/index.html)

riki
09-04-2003, 01:34 AM
Hey Karmacop just contact New Magic I'm sure they will give the advertised deal.

wok
09-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks a heap Lee!!!!! These are fantastic tutorials and i'm learning stuff from each one!! It's also inspiring me to learn some coding too. Keep up the great work!!!

wozzyke
09-04-2003, 02:43 AM
Hey Lee,

thanks for this awesome tutorials, I'm pretty much of a newbie and with the Amsterdam LW tour I'm trying to learn as much as possible at the moment so I hope I'm not going to ask that much stupid questions during the course, but it will happen, be sure of that.

really thanks for the tutorials, and yes they are pretty good, keep em comming.

wozz

Fausto
09-04-2003, 07:37 AM
Does anyone know if Newtek have plans to extend the DFX offer to current LW owners in some way. I've seen some great incentives for new purchases for everything from training materials to great software, but all of the offers are for new purchases.

Cheers,

Matt
09-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Lee just watched your motion designer tute, quite entertaining, made me laugh in places, and of course helped me understand MD a bit more!

Cheers

battery555
09-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Thank you very much Lee, that is very gracious of you for sharing these valuble tutorials. i must say you got good sense of humor too. COOL!:D

Stranahan
09-04-2003, 08:46 AM
Fausto - the DFX+ offer is for current users. Just upgrade to 8, and DFX+ and modules 1 and 4 are yours, free.

Locutus
09-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Is that offer available with student purchases of Lightwave?

retinajoy
09-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Lee,

Thanks for the tutorials. I avoided Motion Designer after trying it out in LW6, but now your tutorial has got me experimenting with it again.

Stranahan
09-04-2003, 02:28 PM
NewTek presents

LightWave : Setting Preferences
This is a quick look at the different preference settings in LightWave - many of these aren't set to useful default values, and it's a good idea to change them. Watch this video for suggestions.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/Misc_Preferences.mov

Time : 7 Minutes, Size 10 Megs

Stranahan
09-04-2003, 03:06 PM
NewTek says 'Order LightWave8 now and get world class compositing with eyeon's DFX+ !!!....oh, and here's a new tutorial.

Motion Designer 2 : Secrets Of The Wind
Learn the tricks behind creating great wind effects with LightWave's built in soft body dynamics system, Motion Designer.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/MD2_WindSecrets.mov

Time : 6 Minutes, Size 18 Megs

ned
09-04-2003, 03:13 PM
I'm not complaining, but these are coming so fast that I'm having a hard time keeping them saved and in order.

Are these all going to be posted soemwhere for future downloads?

Stranahan
09-04-2003, 03:16 PM
That's the kind of complaint I like to hear!

Yes, the plan is to post them on a page at some point.

mohh
09-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Don't you listen to him, keep these babies coming! ;)

Lewis
09-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Great Videos Lee - they should help newbies a LOT 'coz almost nothing of that is covered in manauls :(. I found few neat tricks for myself also , thanks.

P.S. I'am waiting for more videos of gradients 'coz i think that part is so litlle documented and yet so powerful. I use them on daily basis but just for simple tasks and i'am still not sure how they would react untill i try testrender :( (Viper is useles on reflections and incidence angles :( ). It confuses me in those values 0 - 1 and in other 0 - 10m or so. Why is not same for all inputs :).

20 Thumbs up from me :).

hrgiger
09-04-2003, 05:00 PM
I finally got a chance to watch all the videos last night (except for the most recent two of course) and obviously there's stuff in there I already knew but the lscript stuff is excellent and very welcome. I had no idea how easy the stuff could be.

trick
09-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Lewis
...(Viper is useles on reflections and incidence angles :( )...

Did you try reflections in Viper when having a simple or gradient backdrop...that should give you enough info !!

Camtasia tut's.....Me Likey !!!

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Lewis, are you talking about bump? The gradient will change depending on how bump your surface is. eg if you have a bump map on 80% then your gradient would probably go from 0-0.8 . If you had 3 bumps at 80% it would (very roughly speaking) go from 0-2.4 (3x80% = 240% = 1.4).

And the gradient will change from an absolute 0-1 scale to a distance 0m-1m when it is appropriate, such as distance to camera or surface thickness. It'll also change to degrees when doing incidence angle.

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Ahh Lee, what are you doing? SI doens't mean scientific, it means Système International d'Unités or in english .. well take a guess :p

If there was a scientific measurement type in Lightwave al it'd show is meters I'm fairly sure.

Anyway, that's my ***** for the day :p Sorry, I'm a bit touchy on the SI thing :p

GruvSyco
09-04-2003, 07:06 PM
I kinda wish there was a LW tuts section on the forum and each of these were posted under a different heading. Then people could easily ask specific questions to each tut posted.
Or maybe some other way to give this great resource a little more organization. I can easily see this particular thread achieving a high number of pages.

BTW, thanks Lee.

Lewis
09-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Lewis, are you talking about bump? The gradient will change depending on how bump your surface is. eg if you have a bump map on 80% then your gradient would probably go from 0-0.8 . If you had 3 bumps at 80% it would (very roughly speaking) go from 0-2.4 (3x80% = 240% = 1.4).

And the gradient will change from an absolute 0-1 scale to a distance 0m-1m when it is appropriate, such as distance to camera or surface thickness. It'll also change to degrees when doing incidence angle.

I'am talking generaly about gradient settings :). There is few diferent options but generaly i never know how it would look untill i try render wich is often too loong 'coz i use radiosity and gradients only for simulating fresnel effect on car paints. I use gradients on reflection channel to simulate different reflection on camera angles and that's not visible in VIPER no matter how you try.

But like Lee showed in first gradient's video i would expect to have blue to white gradient spehere if i set that gradient but you get soemthing totolay different on output :). Even on flat plane i'am not sure will it work untill i tweak it few times but those are easy settings. Aslo it would be very nice to see that simple gradients in layout without rendering ;). Let's say tha ti have BOX object wiht polys facing invards and camera is inised (liek room without windows). And i want to colorize that room just with gradient and i want that top of room is almost white and bootom blue. I set gradient on slope and i set reference "y" distance but that's not what i need. Because then it looks like he is using center of object as refernece and then Y or so ? I just wan't that he automaticaly uses SIZE of object and applies that gradient form top to bootom as i colored gradient :).

Many many things aren't clear about those gradient settings but i hope they will became more celar whit these nice tutorials.

cheers

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 08:33 PM
I never use gradients for fresnel, I always use fast fresnel, and that shows up in viper.

I think gradients showing up like you want couldn't be too hard. They's just need to output the gradient to a small image (lets say 512*1 for example) and then planar map it. I guess it's a hcak but it's easy ... is anyone at Newtek listening? :p

Lewis
09-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
I never use gradients for fresnel, I always use fast fresnel, and that shows up in viper.

I think gradients showing up like you want couldn't be too hard. They's just need to output the gradient to a small image (lets say 512*1 for example) and then planar map it. I guess it's a hcak but it's easy ... is anyone at Newtek listening? :p

Since LW got gradients i never use fast fresnel anymore for car paints :). I can set 4-5 different angles in one gradient and that works nice and faster than fresnel :).

About showing gradients you are right i could use that workaround but many who would likr to map image over and over again ? I wan't to see it while i'am tweaking on actual object and that would be nightmare to output every time you move slider in gradients channel :). Also what's the point of workarounding one tool with another :). I want to work with gradients and see them in layout (same goes for alpha channles but tha'ts another sotry ;)).

Ohh let's hope Lee will show us more tricks ;)

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
In a previous post (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=71710#post71710) I had stated that Richard had helped Jonny alot with his car scene shown at siggraph where the car followed the null and bent and swayed. This was completely wrong. I apologise to Jonny for the assumptions I made and I didn't mean to put Jonny down at all because as we all know he is an amazing artist. Again Jonny, sorry. :(

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Lewis, I wasn't saying you should use the work around, it's way too long. I was suggestiong Newtek could implement this work around as it doesn't seem as if it'd be too hard .. but what would I know? :p

Yeah, Lee's tutorials have been very good. At the moment they're basic but I'm still picking up some minor details I didn't know about. And lee, what's in that Lightwave 8 directory? :P

Bones_3DFC
09-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Hello!
New here.
Keep them coming. Great stuff! Very informative.

Thank you :)

riki
09-04-2003, 10:18 PM
LScript Editor is looking pretty funky on my system. The annoying part is that I know it use to work with previous versions.

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 10:49 PM
.. so ... going to those crafts fairs with the hippies with that one Riki? :p

riki
09-04-2003, 11:15 PM
haha yeah I love craft fairs, I'm a big fan of handikrap :)

Stranahan
09-04-2003, 11:42 PM
NewTek also makes the VT3, which you could build a visual effects studio around....and they present this video

Gradients 2 : Bump
Learn the ins and outs of working with the bump parameter. This video helps you learn to visualize gradients and think your way through them. There's also valuable information on bump displacement in this video, and a couple of points that will deepen your understanding of LightWave's powerful gradient features.

http://www.LearnLightWave.com/LW_Videos/Grad2_Bump.mov

Time : 12.5 Minutes, Size : 19 megs

Karmacop
09-05-2003, 12:04 AM
riki: BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :)

Lee: Stop teasing :p

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 12:28 AM
No teasing....

And thanks for the clarification on the metric thing.

GruvSyco
09-05-2003, 12:37 AM
hmm... link no workie for me.

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Sorry, try now...

Karmacop
09-05-2003, 12:41 AM
The link still isn't working for me ..

No worries Lee, I hope I didn't sound insulting, because I didn't mean to be :( Anyway, keep up the great work :)

robinson
09-05-2003, 12:47 AM
It's working now.

9%, 10%, 11%...

riki
09-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Is it working now?

ivanze
09-05-2003, 01:15 AM
Hey Stranahan!!

What you are doing with those videos is priceless!!

And the cool thing is that I understand every word you say, (I speak spanish).

Thanks a lot and keep them coming. Now I don't want to stop using Lightwave :D

retinajoy
09-05-2003, 02:11 AM
These videos are great. Learning loads from them. Will LW8 ship with some video tutorials? I think they are a great way to learn.

Fausto
09-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Stranahan

Thanks for the information regarding the newtek offers, and a huge thanks for the videos to coin a phrase "they're great!"

Cheers

Fausto

Matt
09-05-2003, 03:11 AM
As much as I'm loving these tutes, I do have one teeny niggle Lee! Can you change the sound effect for the key presses!

An ancient typewriter sound doesn't reflect the high-tech software you're demonstrating! ;)

xeno51
09-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Many thanx Lee for your excellent video tuts :) your works and offerings are greatly appreciated; as a newbie I'm finding them very easy to follow; I can't wait and look forward to the next installment..... you rOCk m8 :D

Many thanx Xeno51....

Exper
09-05-2003, 05:19 AM
Great and Holy Lee! :D

New2Lw
09-05-2003, 06:23 AM
Is it just me or does Lee Stranahan sound like Charlie Sheen in some of his videos??

Later,
Eric

JohnL
09-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Charlie Sheen with my grandfathers Remington typewriter.:D

Seriously, keep up the good work. This is really wonderful information. I hope these videos just keep on coming!!

sketchyjay
09-05-2003, 06:44 AM
In the future. I'd love to have a videos to explain features in LW built into the help system. So you read the text and if you're still stumped you click the watch video button and Wala! instant understanding. Of course it would require a DVD to hold all the videos and LW would grow from 400 megs to 4 gigs on the hard drive, but it's a nice thought.

Jay

P.S. great series Lee. You and Larry are like the free video gurus of Lightwave. It's amazing how much info you can turn out every day. Can't wait to see what you post today.

anieves
09-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Matt
As much as I'm loving these tutes, I do have one teeny niggle Lee! Can you change the sound effect for the key presses!

An ancient typewriter sound doesn't reflect the high-tech software you're demonstrating! ;)

he, he I thought I was alone on this one!:D

Fausto
09-05-2003, 07:38 AM
Just the fact that this thread is now 10 pages and counting should indicate to Newtek how effective and positive this type of information is.... The idea of having movies like this embedded in the help file is a great one!

Cheers

BeeVee
09-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Hey Lee,

Nice to see someone else uses Directory Opus (I thought I was about the only one!)... it's a splendid tool for any Windows user and improves on the standard Explorer no end. I've been a beta tester since the Amiga days (and wrote materials for that version) and I still haven't found the ends to what you can do with it. I urge everyone on this forum to go get the freely downloadable demo, if your download queues aren't filled with Lee's tutorial movs... :)

www.dopus.com

B

hrgiger
09-05-2003, 09:04 AM
It's good to see these tutorials being made for us. Thank you Lee for your work.

It makes sense from a business standpoint and seems to me in a way necessary for Newtek to provide us with good learning material. Newtek profits when users produce amazing work that makes people ask which software we used to produce it which in turn makes mroe sales for Lightwave. Even though the tools you use aren't the most important thing, people always want to use software that seems easy to use and able to produce high quality work and when we make it look easy, that's what we are showing others we have.

So keep it coming in terms of the learning materials. Proton did a great job with the tutorial pages in the last year and now Lee is providing us with some very useful information and tutorials. Looking forward to more good stuff...

Vincent Brumbac
09-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Lee,

Thanks for all your effort and helping me decide to upgrade my LW5.6. The DFX+ videos pushed me over the edge. Can't wait to get it and of course LW8. The LW videos will help me get up to speed with 7.5.

Cheers

Vincent D. Brumback

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Thanks again for the nice comments.

The goal is create a systematic approach that allows users to jump in on any topic, and get a clear path of knowledge from the videos. LightWave really IS a lot more powerful than most of it's users know. It's time to fill in those gaps.

More tutorials coming!

VirtualFM
09-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by anieves

An ancient typewriter sound doesn't reflect the high-tech software you're demonstrating!
he, he I thought I was alone on this one!:D

It may be annoying sometimes but I think it's really needed. As you may have noticed, sometimes things just happen onscreen and the only indicator we have of what happened is the sound that indicates Lee pressed a key (a shortcut).

Of course Lee is doing things right and by the book and right now he mentions all the keypresses he does and what they will do, but those are like kindergarden LW-Lessons, I am sure (and hopefull) that when Lee reaches the point of really explaining something complex in the advanced tutorials he can't just keep repeating "t for move, b for bevel, t again, now f for smoothshift and K for knife, / for deselect, ' for invert layers, B for boolean" when explaining some modeling. He probably will talk about what he is doing and why, but we will probably not even see the interface with buttons to click, and things still happen just by pressing shortcuts (which is the way most experts work). When you reach that level and hear Lee saying he is going to cut the poly with the 'knife' tool, you don't need him to say that he pressed K or moving the mouse half-screen to the menu, you should know by then how to reach the knife tool. So a tekly-tek sound is welcomed to understand that LW is not just thinking by itself!

Remember the tutorial about the LScript Commander where Lee clones palm trees after assigning the recently-born script to a shortcut and just uses it to make Wild Palms appear? I am glad the tlek-tlek sound is there, or the trees would just magically appear, but of course this is just my opinion. I vote 'yes' tor the tekly-tlek sound and a 'click-triiink' at the end of the tutorial :-)

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm in the habit of saying the keys I'm pressing, and it's a good one. Doesn't slow me down, really. I also totally disagree anything is kindergarten lessons - if you know something, it's basic. If you don't, it's advanced.

In a sense, NOTHING in LightWave is hard. It's all easy - if you break it down to it's components. Hopefully, it will always seem easy - that's what my teaching style is meant to do, make things seem easy. But the subject matter is, by it's nature, complex.

Matt
09-05-2003, 10:24 AM
nothing wrong with sound FX so you know a key has been pressed, just meant change it to something other than a typewriter!!!! ;)

Fausto
09-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Hi Lee,

I gotta tell you I just watched the Grad2_Bumo movie and damn near fell off my chair laughing.... Loved the green party, repulican concept...

Cheers

riki
09-05-2003, 10:27 AM
I'm lovin the tuts, can't wait to hit the slopes :)

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 10:28 AM
If anyone has or can suggest a better SFX, I'm fine with it

melchior_
09-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Can we have lightsaber sounds please??

Zafar Iqbal
09-05-2003, 10:38 AM
OMG this is awsome.... its like christmas again! :)

A big thanks from here.........!!

battery555
09-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Hey Lee, you should'nt change your style just because some felt a bit disturb by the FX. remember your are the giver not taker. i salute you for your generosity. KOOL! :rolleyes:

Matt
09-05-2003, 11:45 AM
hey I'm grateful, don't get me wrong!!! ;)

astro-sanchez
09-05-2003, 11:49 AM
I laughed, I cried, I made some lscripts.
Great tutorials thanks.:p

PaulyBarnes
09-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Time of Death: 1:11pm CST Sept 5 2003

Cause of Death: Overdosed on Lightwave Tutorials.

Additional Comments: Died Smiling / Hugging monitor

VirtualFM
09-05-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm in the habit of saying the keys I'm pressing, and it's a good one.

Yes it is. But if you really do it while modeling a head you will grow tired of saying the same stuff all the time, endless smooth shift, extenders, bevels, make polygons, etc keypresses. And assuming that whoever wants to start modeling a head already modeled a lot of other stuff, you probably don't have to keep repeating the same thing. I wouldn't, I would just say it the first time I used it on each tutorial.

I also totally disagree anything is kindergarten lessons - if you know something, it's basic. If you don't, it's advanced.

It's almost true, like the discussions about the intuitiveness of a program: if you know how to use it it is intuitive, if you don't, it's not. (I don't agree with that, but that is another discussion)

Everything you are teaching here (very well done and entertaining, BTW) is the basic of the basics. If someone wants to do some MD stuff, he MUST know what you teached in your 'MD basics' lesson, if he doesn't, he isn't going anywhere. If someone wants to learn how to program in LScript, he MUST undestand those basic concepts you explained. I say this in the sense that if someone want's to read a book the must really first learn the ABCD.... wich is kindergarten level. You are explaining the foundations in the different subjects so that users can keep up when you start doing other more advanced tuts. So, you are explaining the kindergarten NOT of Lightwave (because people can use LW without knowing those specific subjects, and they do) but of those specific fields.

In a sense, NOTHING in LightWave is hard. It's all easy - if you break it down to it's components. Hopefully, it will always seem easy - that's what my teaching style is meant to do, make things seem easy. But the subject matter is, by it's nature, complex.

And you are doing a wonderfull job. That's just the way to do it, because as you go into more advanced stuff, students (users) will keep up and before even realising it they will understand complex concepts, but just because they started by the very beginning and know those basics.

You are giving an extremely useful service to the LW community and your large background in teaching shows right through it. Don't think that I don't appreciate it or don't know it. I just mentioned that up to this point, in those specific subjects, those are kindergarten-level basics, needed to understand the following classes or for users to finally get a grasp of what else is available under the power of LW and they didn't even realise it because they were afraid of the complexity or because they never even thought LW could do this.

Just to clarify (just hope I didn't make it worse!) ;-)

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 12:54 PM
NewTek presents

Lscript Part 5 - Modifying Third Party Plug-ins
Ever really wished you had a certain tool in LightWave, but it's not there. This short video shows you how to skirt that problem, find third party solutions free, and modify them to make the tools work the way you want. Another example of how simple scripting in LightWave really can be, and a good example of why LightWave has the best third party in the world.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/LS5_Mod3rdParty.mov

Time : 8 minutes Size: 15 Megs

Psyhke
09-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by PaulyBarnes
Time of Death: 1:11pm CST Sept 5 2003

Cause of Death: Overdosed on Lightwave Tutorials.

Additional Comments: Died Smiling / Hugging monitor

Adieu, PaulyBarnes. We hardly knew ye.

hehee.:)

Triple G
09-05-2003, 01:01 PM
NewTek presents

Lscript Part 5 - Modifying Third Party Plug-ins
Ever really wished you had a certain tool in LightWave, but it's not there. This short video shows you how to skirt that problem, find third party solutions free, and modify them to make the tools work the way you want. Another example of how simple scripting in LightWave really can be, and a good example of why LightWave has the best third party in the world.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/LS5_Mod3rdParty.mov

Time : 8 minutes Size: 15 Megs

Link doesn't appear to be working... :(

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 01:03 PM
FM,

No, that does clarify and I agree with what you're saying. Thanks very much for your input and observations.

Stranahan
09-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Oops - wrong folder - try it now...

RiGLEY
09-05-2003, 01:16 PM
WoW !!!... ...Leee you're the BEST !!!

Thank you very much for the tutorials, i am watching them all over and over again all day long :) I love to learn stuff, that I like. I'm so happy now...

:p

neoklassik
09-05-2003, 03:08 PM
These are great! I've been watching a lot of "free" tutorial's and most of them cover the same old thing "model a head" - "rig a leg". Your tuts have extended me quickly into areas of LW I hadn't understood at all. A logical progression of How To Get Things Done.
Very appreciative!

erich
09-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey thanks for all the tuts. I am waiting for my new high speed connection before I start downloading them all. Any chance you could do some advanced (or even intermnediate) modeling and surfacing tuts? That would be great.

erich
09-05-2003, 07:15 PM
I forgot one more thing. Please, please put all the video links on one page. It takes a lot to find them all right now.
Thanks again.

melchior_
09-05-2003, 07:32 PM
how about, for now, just put all the links in the first post.

SplineGod
09-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Hey Erich,
Theres some more free tuts that cover Subpatch modeling, splines, UV maps and others - over 2 hrs worth of stuff. Some of it is material that Lee and I have covered in Seminars and other classes HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support)

Zafar Iqbal
09-05-2003, 08:41 PM
"............................beats working"

:D :p ;)

Librarian
09-06-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by grundgedanke
well, i also think most of the germans, and particularly the ones that use lw, speak english. i don´t think you have to worry about that. but it´s very kind of you that you think about that :-) next time, COME TO GERMANY :-)
I agree. Lee and Larry , come to Germany. Germany is a developing country in terms of Newtek training. Plz help to change it :)

swann
09-06-2003, 03:41 AM
WOW. Thanks Stranahan. Great little video tutorials and free as well. Just as good as free software. Thanks again.

Emmanuel
09-06-2003, 06:59 AM
Hey !

Is there a place where I can direct my buddy to for downloading them altogether ?
"Save as..." don't work somehow from the forum here, learnlightwave has no official subsection for those free tuts, and I am on 56k only, while my pal has a turbospeed DSL line...

Matt
09-06-2003, 07:24 AM
Splinegod some of the links to the sample tutorials on your site don't work, the spline patching tutorial for one! Might wanna check 'em!

t4d
09-06-2003, 09:23 AM
top stuff the tutorials are Great:D

i think the entry level lightwaver has very nice tutorials at the moment and more free advanced tools would really help things
it's the little things i've seen with these that have made my day =)

again top stuff :)

comanche
09-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Hey Erich,
Theres some more free tuts that cover Subpatch modeling, splines, UV maps and others - over 2 hrs worth of stuff. Some of it is material that Lee and I have covered in Seminars and other classes HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support)

Larry, some links don't work. You have to remove one "/support" from the URLs (".../support/support/...").

Cheers,
Andreas

New2Lw
09-06-2003, 11:16 AM
I know what Lee could go over. And make this really simple sounding and easy to understand.

Hope Lee sees this.

I understand procedural texture value, frequencies, contrast and small power. But when it comes to increment, lacunarity, octaves, offset and some of the other procedural values in some of the other different procedural types then it all becomes very confusing. The manual explains it but when I start draging the arrows back and forth they all seem to do very similiar stuff and I just end up fighting with the procedural trying to make it do what I want.

It would be really cool if you could show us/me how to use those values properly :)

Later,
Eric

Bones_3DFC
09-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Just watched "LS5"
I love you, man!
LOVE you!
I'm doing a 20-layer project for a friend (why can't LW put 20 layers
up there, instead of 10?) and many layers have moving parts.

You have saved at least 8 years of my life!
I thank you!
My wife, 7 years my junior, thanks you!
We're going to make a baby and call him Lee.

mohh
09-06-2003, 01:29 PM
I wrote an LScript that centers the pivot a while back. You guys are more than welcome to it. If nothing is selected, it centers the pivot in the middle of your object. If you have either points or polys selected, then it will center it on those.

CenterPivot v1.0 (http://www.mohhs.com/lw/plugins/CenterPivot.zip)

SplineGod
09-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by comanche
Larry, some links don't work. You have to remove one "/support" from the URLs (".../support/support/...").

Cheers,
Andreas
Thanks Andreas,
Should be fixed. :)

southparx
09-06-2003, 04:10 PM
WOW and THANX for Mr. Stranahan and Shultz for the awesome videos.

and guys, while we're at video tutorial craze here, i found some on www.3d-palace.com and www.simplylightwave.com in case y'all haven't found those yet.

enjoy, and keep em coming, sirs!

riki
09-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Haven't checked these out yet but just noticed some other vid tuts here

http://www.carlomacchiavello.com/tutorial/

SLAYER
09-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Haven't checked these out yet but just noticed some other vid tuts here

http://www.carlomacchiavello.com/tutorial/

Can't believe that these are out there and I have never seen them. I doubt that there are many other tutorials left out there in cyber-space for LW that I do not at least know exist.

Not sure what the hell he is doing though in the UV one.? Switching between various maps and endomorphs?

riki
09-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Here's all the tuts I've downloaded over the ages, over 5 Gigs worth now. No way I'll ever get through all that.

New2Lw
09-07-2003, 11:00 AM
I just checked. I have 2.85 gigs of tutorials in my tutorial folder. I have some more stuff spread out on my hard drive too. I did, at one time, have Larry's whole character series in my tutorial folder but that took up my whole hard drive.

I would definatly recommend his stuff if you have an extra buck, or 800. If it still costs that.

Later,
Eric

Jarno
09-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Lee, please stop it!

You are destroying the aura of mysticism that us LW plugin developers have been so carefully crafting about ourselves over the years.

;)

---JvdL---

archiea
09-07-2003, 07:05 PM
I have 5 gigs of porn. don't know how that helps me with LW, though.....

SplineGod
09-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by New2Lw
I just checked. I have 2.85 gigs of tutorials in my tutorial folder. I have some more stuff spread out on my hard drive too. I did, at one time, have Larry's whole character series in my tutorial folder but that took up my whole hard drive.

I would definatly recommend his stuff if you have an extra buck, or 800. If it still costs that.

Later,
Eric
Hey Eric, Thanks for the plug.
During September (and maybe longer) the course is going for $600 plus any Tour CD (10 more hours) or any module for $150 and any fx series CD. :)

Bones_3DFC
09-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by mohh
I wrote an LScript that centers the pivot a while back. You guys are more than welcome to it. If nothing is selected, it centers the pivot in the middle of your object. If you have either points or polys selected, then it will center it on those.

CenterPivot v1.0 (http://www.mohhs.com/lw/plugins/CenterPivot.zip)
This is a handy one, too. Thanks!

Stranahan
09-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone...

Just got back from my Dallas seminar - thanks to everyone there for being a great crowd.

The deluge starts again tomorrow...

kevman3d
09-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Did you get a big turnout in Dallas?

hrgiger
09-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Cool, can't wait.

riki
09-08-2003, 09:32 AM
I have 5 gigs of porn. don't know how that helps me with LW, though.....

It's all good research for character development, especially those hard to reach angles :o

Karmacop
09-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Or not so hard to reach as some of them demonstrate :eek:

Stranahan
09-08-2003, 12:04 PM
NewTek presents

LightWave Spreadsheet Part One - Intro To Spreadsheet Edtior
LightWave's Spreadsheet Editor is one of it's most powerful and easy to use features - but many users don't understand it. This series of tutorials will let you master the Spreadsheet in no time, making your work faster and allowing you to create more complex animations quickly. This introduction starts at the very beginning and shows just some of the Spreadsheet's power.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/SprdSht1_Intro.mov

Time : 9.5 minutes, Size 18 Megs

comanche
09-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Lee, thank you very much! Now downloading, watching ...

Cheers,
Andreas

Stranahan
09-08-2003, 12:33 PM
NewTek - the company who started the desktop video revolution - presents

LightWave Spreadsheet Part Two - Filters
LightWave's Spreadsheet Editor lets you make changes en masse to items in your scene. Organizing your scene data, however, can be a pain - until you understand Spreadsheet's powerful and flexible system of creating workspaces and filtering.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/SprdSht2_Filters.mov

Time : 4.5 minutes, Size 6.5 Megs

Matt
09-08-2003, 12:38 PM
LightWave's Spreadsheet Editor is one of it's most powerful and easy to use features . . .

. . . but hangs Screamernet with any scene that has used it!!! ;)

Stranahan
09-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Kevin Phillips wrote a utility that fixes that bug...

I'll let him tell you more...

Matt
09-08-2003, 12:50 PM
or just delete all reference to speadsheet in the scene file!

flashover
09-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi, Stranahan, can you make a tutorial on the IK and characters ring? :)))
I like your tutorials! :) you are a great!
How long do you employ you to make a tutorial?
Thanks for all these beautiful free lessons!!!!
Bye Blu

Stranahan
09-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks - we'll get to everything, including IK, eventually. Anyone serious about character stuff should consider Larry's course, however.

The time to create the tutorials varies - I can often knock them out quickly if it's material I've been teaching for a while. Sometime I screw up. It takes more time to convert the movies to QuickTime then it does to record them. I spend a couple of hours a day researching and working on new stuff, though.

xeno51
09-08-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi Lee; nice to see you back; hope your weekend went well :D many thanx for the great video tuts......

hrgiger
09-08-2003, 02:15 PM
As long as we're taking requests.....

In my opinion there isn't enough material out there covering UV Maps, especially for characters. I'd like to see some stuff on that...

The spreadsheet ones were nice. I just got done watching them. You're right about the not using it part because I never use it but you can bet I will from now on. Thanks Lee.

Stranahan
09-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Your Revolutionary friends at NewTek present

HyperVoxel Part One - Intro & Surface Hypervoxel
Hypervoxels is LightWave's tool for creating virtual objects that appear only at render time, and are often an important part of the Particle FX creation process. This new series brings up to speed on their use, in a clear and easy to understand way. Part One discusses the concept of Hypervoxels and explains the Surface voxel type. Move beyond the hype.... get into HyperVoxels.

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/HVox1_Surface.mov

Time : 14 minutes, Size 19.5 Megs

LeMartialou
09-08-2003, 05:37 PM
YOU RULEZ !!!!

SLAYER
09-08-2003, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hrgiger
As long as we're taking requests.....

In my opinion there isn't enough material out there covering UV Maps, especially for characters. I'd like to see some stuff on that...

Amen Giger!

Lee, here is a copy/paste of what I wrote in Larrys thread for his free tutorials and what I would like (need) to see:

Larry,
This is great, the sections in the course on UV's is excellent, and the 3 new vids you posted on line about UVs are superb!

My problems that I am trying to figure out are sort of an expansion on these. I understand the weight map for blending now, but what about Alphas. How is this done with alphas?

All of these examples have been with procedurals so this has been easy to blend, but how about if it were a bit trickier. An example would be scales. Take for instance in the course where you blend the top of the head map with the other head map. What if this were a demon or dragon head and you had drawn a bunch of scales in PS? How do you blend stuff like this?

Say you have a cube like a brifcase that you wanted wrapped in scaly snakeskin and you wanted the scales to flow seamles?

Also, How do you do anything with ATLAS mapping? Would you use Atlas mapping for what I posted above. I have seen Atlas mapping applied to such things as a dinosaur and it comes out with 1000 random chunks which is turned into a work of art with texturing. How is this?

Also, I do not understand fully about applying text onto models. Text like a sticker/decal.

Perhaps you could do a vid on these questions as a continuation of your UV vids that you recently posted?

Thanks,
Joby

Thanks for the killer tutes Lee.
Alot of this is over my head for now, because I am trying to go in what I seem to think are the logical steps: Modeling, Surfacing/texturing, rigging/animating and Rendering.

Mooncat
09-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the tutorials guys !
They are very much appreciated.
:cool:

Best wishes,
Mooncat

Zafar Iqbal
09-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the vids, Lee .. they are great.

I have a requst (if thats ok) for a tiny bit more advanced MD vid.

I've always thought that MotoinDesigner was a killer to work with, but after watching you vid, i gave it a try again.

I tried to do the classic cloth on ball thingy, but no matter what i did, it wouldn't work :( The cloth either deformed a bit, and then fell throug the ball, or it jumped from frame to frame if i gave it a bigger thicknes.

I have read several tutorials, but cant figure out what im doing wrong :(

You dont need to do the same.. just anything wich involves several objects and collision detection.

Thanks...

Jörg
09-08-2003, 10:04 PM
WOW!!! AMAZING

Lee you're great !!!

thank you very much for the tutorials

greetings from germany

joerg jung

archiea
09-09-2003, 02:04 AM
One favor lee...

Since these are getting scattered throughout the thread, is there any way NT can post them on their website?
thanks!!!

Exper
09-09-2003, 02:16 AM
Creating an index web page will be very very appreciated! :D

Bye.

Stranahan
09-09-2003, 08:14 AM
NewTek - bringing you professional tools at amazing prices - presents

LightWave User Interface Part One - Hidden Tools
LightWave 3D gives you a huge degree of control over the user interface, allowing you to make your own buttons, define your own keyboard shortcuts, change UI colors, and more. This series of tutorials will show you the options for customizing the UI to meet your own needs. Part One introduces you to the world of hidden tools in Modeler, including some that are hidden in plain sight!

http://www.learnlightwave.com/LW_Videos/UI1_HiddenTools.mov

Time : 6 minutes, Size 2 Megs

Elmar Moelzer
09-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey Lee!
The link seems to be broken.
CU
Elmar

Miles
09-09-2003, 08:19 AM
First, even though I've only had time to download the tutorials thus far and haven't watched them let me say THANKS Lee for your efforts!

I know it was mentioned earlier NewTek will be developing some kind of official web page with all this stuff linked at a later date, but for now I've put together an index page (see link below) so you don't have to worry about the web organization stuff and instead can stay on track with your efforts there. :D

Hope it helps... ;)

URL REMOVED SEE LATER POSTS

milkman
09-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Hey Mr. Stranahan,

Thanks a ton for all of these tutorials, really cool stuff here.

I have another request...

Could you go through Lightwave's compositing abilities, how to do multipass renders and then bring them all together in CinePaint/GIMP/PS?

That'd be great, cause I still can't really seem to get it all to work.

grundgedanke
09-09-2003, 08:31 AM
well, as i mentioned before. i would also provide you serverspace here in germany. as mirror. will also make a nice indexpage for that! would that be ok? interested? you could also use this space for future things. i think a german/european mirror would be fine.

Elmar Moelzer
09-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Holy F***ing ****!
Lee, you wont believe it, but I indeed never knew about that other paste- tool! I saw it and thought it was just the same as the one at the bottom.
Hehe, dammit I am feeling really stupid now!
Thanks for that tutorial, I actually learned something ;)
CU
Elmar

badllarma
09-09-2003, 09:20 AM

Paste and Paste bloody hell never knew it was there thanks Lee carn't wait to see the next one.

nostromo_va
09-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Lee,

Your explanations are outstanding. I have learned more about the power of the package I own in one week than I have on my own in 2 years. Thank you!

If you are taking requests - I would vote for Motion Mixer - something more in depth than the "camera hop" in the documentation.

I would like to see it with a char, going from a walk to a run to a stop or something. Proton did something like that in the video of Sigraph, but due to the setting, did not go into any real depth (not blaming him, he was there to show features, not conduct tutorials)

Also, how do you make a motion repeat out past 120 or so frames - I have found no way to expand or contract the window or scale the timeline within Motion Mixer.

Thanks again!

Karmacop
09-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Ahh, motion mixer is a mystery too. I'm rendering right now so I can't say exactly, but left click (I think) on the timeline with shift to scale and ctrl to 'slide' the timeline. I think that's it ...

EDIT: ok, holding down alt+left click drags the timeline left to right, ctrl+alt+left click scales the timeline. Alt right click also moves your end frame.

Bones_3DFC
09-09-2003, 10:42 AM
As a small Thank You
3D Fight Club is also happy to be a mirror.

A sneak-preview: http://www.3dfightclub.com/newtek/tutorials
I have to eat some lunch - the "download" links are not yet linked, (11:30 CENTRAL)
***EDIT - LINKS NOW WORKING***

Immediate arrangements will be made should Lee/NewTek request changes or that the above page be taken down.

Thank you, again, Lee

Keep 'em comin'!

Stranahan
09-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Hey Fight Club - that's awesome!!!

Whoever wanted a European mirror - I haven't heard back from NewTek Europe at all, but feel free to set up a mirror...

If anyone else wants to mirror, that would be great!

Fight Club and any other mirror people - can we list all mirror links on each entry? Or is that a bad idea?

Just make sure the page says clearly ...

"NewTek - the makers of LightWave 3D - presents..."

Bones_3DFC
09-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Hey Fight Club - that's awesome!!!

Fight Club and any other mirror people - can we list all mirror links on each entry? Or is that a bad idea?

Just make sure the page says clearly ...
"NewTek - the makers of LightWave 3D - presents..."

Thank you, Lee!
Absolutely. Each movie is at: http://www.3dfightclub.com/newtek/tutorials/
followed by the exact name you gave it.

And.."NewTek - the makers of LightWave 3D - presents..."
is now located at the top of the page.

Always happy to make changes :)

Miles
09-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Okay, so with the 3D Fight Club site mirroring now you all good to go with some form of indexing of these tutorials all on one page now until NewTek gets around to setting something up then?

If so, I don't see much point in the page I set up this morning to help and I'll just go ahead and scrap it.

Also, If I do, may ask others doing index pages for these files to add a #ing system (01, 02,,,,11, etc...) next to each title to make it easier to find new ones listed?

Best,

Miles

Bones_3DFC
09-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Yes Miles - I'm all set up now - I have them in the order
that Lee posts them and with Lee's words, as you had them listed.

From here, I will add them as Lee posts them.
But I must thank you - your list helped me - I didn't have to go
through every post in this thread, I referred to your list.
Thank you.

Stranahan
09-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Here's one other suggestion - put the DFX+ / Digital Fusion tutorials there, too - a couple of them are hybrid LightWave tutorials....

grundgedanke
09-09-2003, 01:51 PM
well ok, i will set up the german mirror tonight or tommorow. i think this linklist is a good idea. what do the others think about?

Miles
09-09-2003, 01:55 PM
No problem... Glad to see even though the page was short lived it severed a purpose in helping your setup.

in the order that Lee posts them and with Lee's words, as you had them listed.I spotted that because I went through Lee's text and had made a few text fixes. ;)

FWIW, in case a few had already bookmarked the page I had I set it up to just forward to your page.

Lee: I don't know if you had spotted my request on the page I had setup, but if not. Could we see some examples of easiest and/or best way to deal with CAD file imports on some complex models of machinery, structures, etc. for use with LightWave?

Thanks much,

Miles

nostromo_va
09-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Karmacop:

Thanks for the help with MM timeline!

Bones_3DFC
09-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Here's one other suggestion - put the DFX+ / Digital Fusion tutorials there, too - a couple of them are hybrid LightWave tutorials....
Happy to do so :)
Please, do me one favor.
go to: http://www.3dfightclub.com/newtek/tutorials/
and scroll to bottom.
I took the liberty of using the table of logos from the eyeon/bundle page and I would like to know for sure that this is ok (legally and rights and blah, blah) :)

Hope it's looking ok.
I'll actually be away from computer this evening -
There is a networking opportunity at a local studio, for animators -
so if changes are needed, I may not get to them until tomorrow, AM.

New2Lw
09-09-2003, 03:55 PM
I knew that past tool was there ;) No really, I did! I just never use it cause I'm not used to it and...well, ok and I forgot that it was there but I knew at one time.

Later,
Eric

wacom
09-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by New2Lw
I knew that past tool was there ;) No really, I did! I just never use it cause I'm not used to it and...well, ok and I forgot that it was there but I knew at one time.

Later,
Eric

OK I found the past tool and my P4 turned into a C64 and I've got feathered hair, white hightops and acid wash jeans...where is the "back to the future" tool? HELP!

Sorry just had to...not that I'm without type'oz in my posts...

Karmacop
09-09-2003, 05:07 PM
The reason I don't use that interactive paste tool is because the object is pasted relative to the center of the object which un-aligns objects when I clone.

riki
09-09-2003, 06:26 PM
I've mentioned things like the second paste tool in my modeling tuts.

hrgiger
09-10-2003, 01:20 AM
Good to know about the second paste tool. I had no idea. I think the reason I got to know the undo button so well in modeler was from pasting an object directly on top of itself without it being selected.

Matt
09-10-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by wacom
OK I found the past tool and my P4 turned into a C64 and I've got feathered hair, white hightops and acid wash jeans...where is the "back to the future" tool? HELP!

Sorry just had to...not that I'm without type'oz in my posts...

LOL! :)

moth0027
09-10-2003, 05:20 AM
These tutorials are the best I have come across on the web!

I don't think it matters that they are only at a basic level so far - since they are cover the subjects so thoroughly they are solidifying the basic knowlege I have, which in turn will help my overall work flow. I'm can't wait for the rest.

Thanks Lee

Ps Are there any people here going to the Lightwave Training Tour in London, UK? Fancy meeting up for drinks afterwards?

DarkLight
09-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by moth0027
Ps Are there any people here going to the Lightwave Training Tour in London, UK? Fancy meeting up for drinks afterwards?

Hey, i'm up for that :D

moth0027
09-10-2003, 07:39 AM
Cool, I'll be nice to meet other Lightwavers.

I, personally don't know any within my circle of friends. They all seem to use 3D StudioMax or Cinema 4D.

Does anyone know where it is going to be yet because if you do we can arrange a meeting point or something.

wiremuse
09-10-2003, 08:59 AM
I remember reading a while back in a copy of NewtekPro that your birthday was on Sept10. I just thought I would wish you a Happy Birthday and thank you for the many tutorials, training tours and articles you've done that support the community :D