PDA

View Full Version : Craft Animation and Lightwave

Breed47
11-17-2009, 05:15 AM
I recently ended a discussion with Craft Animation. My company uses 4wheel cam. In 3 years they´ve ported their beutiful code from MAX only to work with Maya, C4d, XSI and, behold, Blender (not ready yet but according the salesman to be written very soon). I asked him if they´re gonna write it for Lightwave as well. The answer was NO. According to him Lightwave is on its way out from the business.

I´m in chock. How about you? What do you think about it?

Kuzey
11-17-2009, 05:28 AM
According to him Lightwave is on its way out from the business.

Well...he is kinda right. Lightwave as we know it has reached it's end...but there is a new beast called Core in the works. And from what I seen of the Core, it's miles better than LW, I just wish there were more info (*cough* Chuck *cough*) coming out :hey:

I'm sure the Core will do wonders when it becomes a standalone app.

Kuzey

Kuzey
11-17-2009, 06:52 AM
You're not in the core beta, are you? Advice: tone down your expectations... a little bit. ;)

haha...no I'm not :D

My main concern was that Core would lose the giant workspace of LW....that's safe and sound :thumbsup:

The only other concern is the directness. As an example, take Maya...you have two cubes in your workspace. Before you can bridge one polygon from one cube to the other, you need to select both objects and combine them into one object/same layer??...then do the bridge operation. We have no idea how that is being tackled by Newtek.

Everything else...would be the icing on the cake for me...but I'm going off topic again :D

Edit...I think it was Maya but it could have been some other app.

Kuzey

geo_n
11-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Well...he is kinda right. Lightwave as we know it has reached it's end...but there is a new beast called Core in the works. And from what I seen of the Core, it's miles better than LW, I just wish there were more info (*cough* Chuck *cough*) coming out :hey:

I'm sure the Core will do wonders when it becomes a standalone app.

Kuzey

You must be very optimistic to see how core is miles better than lw right now even if you're not a hc member. From my view of the info available to non hc its a modeller at 1.0 and layout will be around for maybe 3-4 years.
In any case lw legacy won't die I think especially for freelance people who do motion graphics and tv quality work. Lw can do all that and then some. We are still outsourcing projects to freelancers who use lw 8.
Most people who are into high end character work and effects would probably leave lw legacy.