PDA

View Full Version : polygons inverted

dmac989
09-01-2003, 01:10 PM
When working in modeler, some of the polygons I create are flipped over and I can't figure out why? Can anyone help me?:(

toby
09-01-2003, 01:44 PM
that's what 'align' is for - under the 'details' tab

or select them and hit 'f'

dmac989
09-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks a million, I figured out why they were flipped, I selected some points in back window and so I was trying to select them all from top, but this is much easier:D

txbob
09-02-2003, 12:20 AM
The direction a surface normal faces in is determined by the direction you made it in... Sounds weird, as LW usually makes the polys for you... but.. if you create a poly in the back window, plotting the point clock-wise, the poly should face you. Plotting anti-clock-wise makes it face away... neither is "right", as you often have to create polys for the back of your object...

The align option, while often time doing a wonderous job (think extender) often doen't work. It's as if LW looks at the polys, and if it created them.. it assumes they are facing the proper way. It almost always works if you screw them up, but often LW makes them in a way where you think they're wrong, but LW thinks they're right.... Axiom to remember: If you get in an argument with LightWave.... LightWave wins!!!

Hope this helps a bit.