PDA

View Full Version : Any one getting Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

safetyman
11-16-2009, 06:36 AM
I've read mixed reviews on the PC version (the consoles can go pound sand). Most of the bad things I've heard had to do with the Multiplayer. Before I plop down $60 I want to hear some good things. And since there won't be dedicated servers, I'm even more timid about buying it. Your thoughts?

Matt
11-16-2009, 07:05 AM
I bought it.

Campaign mode is pretty damn cool, if a little short.

Multiplayer doesn't _feel_ as good as COD4, too console-ish, servers were slower to connect / change maps compared to COD4 dedicated servers.

Not bad, but could have been so better if they kept the feel of COD4 on Multiplayer, and kept dedicated servers.

This I fear is the future of PC FPS gaming; console ports.

lwaddict
11-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Got the console version for XBox and the whole damned this is awesome.

Multiplayer via LIVE is great, quick to load, quick to start the gaming, and the action doesn't lag.

And when some wimp quits mid-game, if he/she is the host, the system now just finds the next best person to have host and continues forward.

Love it.

Got better things for my PCs to do though, so I'm a console player.

Eroneouse
11-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Hop over to infinity wards own forums, full of complaints about the game in general, hackers, cheaters and of course the PC multyplayer side... http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

OnlineRender
11-16-2009, 11:42 AM
completed it over 2 days with a mate , hardcore gamming session ! In honesty I thought it was OK ,onlines wicked !

IMI
11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Hop over to infinity wards own forums, full of complaints about the game in general, hackers, cheaters and of course the PC multyplayer side... http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

Is there some kind of a rule that says that game forums need to have a disproportionally large number of idiots posting? Some of those guys do everything but put "I am twelve years old and my IQ is 45" in their signature lines. Not that they would be able to spell any of that anyway. ;)

EDIT:
Oh I'm not disagreeing with those who are unhappy about IW's new policy for MW2, just making an observation about game forum people. ;)

Eroneouse
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I have to admit there are a lot of flame posts merely posted to flame and not to give any rhyme or reason other than the obligatory insults to IW but on the other side of the coin there are also a lot of posts giveing good reasons why they are satisfied/disatisfied by MW2, its up to the individual reader to filter out the chaff from the wheat as it were.

IMI
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, you're right, and I agree. It just reminded me of why I don't go to game forums very often. ;)
I think by now though IW has heard all that could possibly be said on the matter,, not to mention 200,000+ signatures on petitions, so I don't think any more amount of complaints or suggestions is going to help.

Nicolas Jordan
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I probably would have got it if I owned an Xbox. I own a Wii so my game purchase was Mario Bros Wii instead. The new Call of Duty game looks very cool though! :thumbsup: I think there is a port of Call of Duty on the Wii but it would never be able to compete graphically with the Xbox version.

Eroneouse
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Personaly I think that general software forums suffer a little from the fact that most of those happy with the software are all happily useing it and not bothering with forums at all, makeing all the disatisfied posts more numerous and or noticable. plus add to that for MW2 in particular the people not happy about it will be also be posting on clan forums and other fan based forums about it and will likely draw in even more of those type of posters who post just to get a rise out of someone.

Take my posting on this forum for example. I think I am on this forum every single day for one reason or another but I tend not to have too high a postcount as I am still relativly new here and can use search function and overall am happy with my lightwave product it seems stable has only crashed on me twice in 4 or 5 weeks and that could just be my win XP borking rather than LW. Then again someone with many problems with LW who does not bother with search or google would be posting here all the time expecting a reply from the CEO as fast as they post a question, make that just 5 or 6 unhappys posting every day and its easy for a forum to appear overflowing with negativity.

And thats the problem with game forums from my experiance, happy players playing not posting. Based on what I have seen on CodeMasters, Turbines, Blizzards and EA and IW forums at least.

scenergy
11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Infinity Ward have done a great job. MW2 on Xbox rocks.

The campaign is a cinematic rollercoaster ride and the Special Ops segments extend the life of the campaign scenarios.

Multiplayer (not for the impatient or easily upset) is nicely done with a plethora of weapons, kill streak bonuses and hard out shoot-em-up madness.

Forza 3 is also noteworthy of the latest releases. Very impressive.

realgray
11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Coming off of playing COD:world at war it takes some getting use to the crazy accurate guns of MW2. Great for the hand eye coordination though :thumbsup:

scenergy
11-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Coming off of playing COD:world at war it takes some getting use to the crazy accurate guns of MW2. Great for the hand eye coordination though :thumbsup:

Lol @ the old skool WWI&II "spray and pray" weaponry.

cyatic
11-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Well, I got it and wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be. The graphics looked good, but the campaign seemed very short. Spec Ops was pretty cool. I tried multiplayer but didn't like it to much because of all the foul language and racist remarks young kids were making constantly. Not to mention the fact that I was constantly being killed by a gut shot coming from a pistol. I would unload a bunch of rounds from a machine gun into somebody and would do no damage. That was a real turnoff.

probiner
11-18-2009, 03:18 AM
I played it for a while yesterday and im so wanting to buy it. It's not even my type of FPS (i'm more twards realworld simulation mechanics than having guys jumping and shooting) but its so preety...

I wish other FPS simulations games had the audiovisual imersion this game has...

But still, i noticed there's a lot of waiting and the ping was unstable.
60 euros it's a bit of money for a game, that might turn into an annoyance.

I'm asking again, like safetyman done here in the opening topic, feedback from those that already got it concerning multiplayer performance. Also if you know further improvement that the game might recieve, it's nice to know.

I really want to bash peeps again with that Riot Shield :D

Cheers

safetyman
11-18-2009, 05:50 AM
I really want to get it, but I've heard that the single player, while amazing, is very short (~5 hours?). As for the multiplayer, the general consensus is that there is an inordinate amount of cheating going on in the PC version. The reason I don't play Counter Strike much any more is because of all the cheaters, so I'm really aprehensive about MW2.

dsol
11-18-2009, 08:26 AM
MW2 on my xbox360 is the most exciting game I've played since.. um MW1 :)

It's a big bag of awesome. According to the stats, I've been playing for about 6 hours so far and am about 3/4 through the game. I haven't bothered with online multiplayer yet and probably won't - too many 'tards on the net!

IMI
11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I thought the single player campaign for COD 4 was really good, and I imagine MW2 is too, but what really made COD 4 "worth it" for me was the dedicated servers. I wouldn't have paid 50 bucks for a game just for a 6 or 7 hour campaign that IMO has very little replay value. I've played it through a few times over the past couple years, but it's never as fun as the first time through.

So then you have the COD 4 dedicated servers which made it far above and beyond "worth it". I was in a clan for a while that had very strict tactical rules for both game play and conduct, and they kicked those who couldn't deal with it, but also just being able to play on mod servers, sniper only servers, other tactical servers, free-for-all only... and on and on, was what really made it the awesome things it was (and still is).

Now with MW2 and no dedicated servers... what's that leave? I guess they figure everyone just enjoys only the shoot-em-up aspect of MP play? Just stick me in a game because all I want to do is shoot other players and none of that other stuff matters?
Nope, sorry. What made past versions of COD multiplayer great was the dedicated servers, and unless they want to give that back, I see no point in giving them any money for a half-day's entertainment in a single player campaign, no matter how [email protected]@ss it might be.

Just my .02 of course. :hey:

IMI
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
This is kind of interesting:
http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/11/17/iwnet-and-isp-bandwidth-limitations/

Snosrap
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I just finished the campaign of MW2. Lame! It plays like a modern Don Bluth Dragonís Lair with updated (spectacular) graphics and of course itís a different genre. I wish some of these gaming houses would just go to Hollywood and make the movie they want to make because they sure are making some crappy campaigns in their games.

probiner
11-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Well IMI if that guy is right, 60 euros (89 dollars) is a bit taking into account the IW uses your bandwidht to make a server for others.

But from the little i saw altough the performance was not great, it was kind of ok. Like he says, for begginers looks just great. Both solutions would be nice :O
I like moderation in servers, but i must admit some admins are jerks and if you play too good, you're done playing there.

I was randomly passing by my local game shop with 60 euros in my pocket, but then noticed the shop was no more =(. Looks like i will have to randomly pass by fnac :D

I'm just a sucker for the shield http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxnBYkzlKw

Cheers

probiner
11-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Just out of curiosity.
http://pimpmygun.doctornoob.com/app.html

Found this web flash application that allows you to build your own gun with a library of gun parts. If you have to invent one, this could be good for 'sketching'.

Just invented this ubber squad automatic sniper rifle :D
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79433&stc=1&d=1258598892

safetyman
11-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Well, I broke down and bought it. Here is my take for those interested:

I've played about 5-1/2 hours of the single player and it's actually quite impressive. Some may say it's "on rails" or that it's all scripted stuff, but if you're having fun with that, as I was, it doesn't matter. Most FPS's have tons of scripted stuff. I would love to play an open-world FPS that isn't an RPG (Far Cry 2 comes close), but there aren't that many out there.

The multiplayer is really cool -- as you get better at the game, you'll get to create your own classes, with weapon loadouts, equipment, perks, and special abilities. The downside is that you'll get totally pwnd while you're doing it. I guess I can't keep up with these kids anymore, but I still have fun. The only shortcoming I see is the low number of players that you can get in the games -- a max of 16 for certain gametypes. Disappointing.

Overall, I'd say with the limited amount of time I've played it, I've had a lot of fun. That's the important thing for me -- just zoning out and enjoying the game. Sure, it could use some adjustments, but I haven't experienced any problems so far running it; no hiccups, no bugs to speak of. It installed perfectly, integrates with Steam very well, and has TONS of features that will keep me playing for quite a while.

BlueApple
11-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I have it on the PS3 and am enjoying offline and online play. I don't play a lot of fpshooters, so I can't really make a comparison. Saw no lag in online play.

OnlineRender
11-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Online is the way 2 go with this game . The airport level is superb ! there's no other point other to blow inoccent people away ,classic .

dmack
11-27-2009, 06:18 AM
I've got the first COD modern warfare on XBOX360 and have to say I was utterly blown away by it - I still can't get over the sheer amount of 'stuff' (that's latin right?) that they can get on the screen nowadays. I love how atmospheric it is now...smoke, drifting derbis, heat hazes, all the blast effects - just awesome. I've watch every video of MW2 now and it looks even better! I think I'll soon find that I'm too weak to resist....

biliousfrog
11-27-2009, 07:43 AM
I've got the first COD modern warfare on XBOX360 and have to say I was utterly blown away by it - I still can't get over the sheer amount of 'stuff' (that's latin right?) that they can get on the screen nowadays. I love how atmospheric it is now...smoke, drifting derbis, heat hazes, all the blast effects - just awesome. I've watch every video of MW2 now and it looks even better! I think I'll soon find that I'm too weak to resist....

The COD games have always been way ahead of the pack graphically and MW is very nice but there's a slight snag when playing online with the PC version (not sure that it would be a problem on a console)...After getting a new graphics card and monitor I got really excited about playing in HD with all the thick smoke, reflective water, glows, DoF, haze, refraction, AA, textures etc. turned up to max...it looked amazing...trouble is that it doesn't help you to see the enemy, in fact it makes it harder. I would think that I'm being really clever hiding behind some smoke or inside a steam cloud only to get shot by someone that had all that stuff turned off. :foreheads

Snosrap
11-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I've been spending some time online and having some fun. One thing I've been thinking about is that there is no fear of death and no reward for staying alive. I think these FPS's would be more fun if there was consequences for dying. The way MW2 plays out is just a bunch of "Rambos" running around all doing their own thing - no teamwork of any kind that I've seen. Not very realistic "war" IMO. I think more fun and tension could be had if there was a game type where once you died you would be out for that round. There are a lot of ways developers could improve their games, but they are really in a rut of rehashing what has sold well in the past with improved graphics - same thing that brought games down in the 80's.

Matt
11-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I've been spending some time online and having some fun. One thing I've been thinking about is that there is no fear of death and no reward for staying alive. I think these FPS's would be more fun if there was consequences for dying. The way MW2 plays out is just a bunch of "Rambos" running around all doing their own thing - no teamwork of any kind that I've seen. Not very realistic "war" IMO. I think more fun and tension could be had if there was a game type where once you died you would be out for that round. There are a lot of ways developers could improve their games, but they are really in a rut of rehashing what has sold well in the past with improved graphics - same thing that brought games down in the 80's.

I agree entirely, I much prefer playing stealthily, with tactics. MUCH more fun than run and gun, which gets boring after about 2 minutes.

JohnMarchant
11-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Thats why i tend to do sniper at least there is some planning and tactics involved.

The problem with MW1 and 2 was they are very linear, go here get that do this, take out that, call this, run there, whilst you can deviate not by much though.

I prefer Op Fp Dragon Rising if it was not such a boring game it would be great as well as the old ghost recons, i prefer something that requires planning and tactics not just going around shooting at everything.

MW2 has some good parts but MP is almost non existent and when it is its not good. And what's all this driving around in skidoo's and boats.

JohnMarchant
11-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I will wait like i did for MW1 then get it cheaper

realgray
11-28-2009, 06:47 PM
After you beat MW2 you unlock the spec ops missions. In I believe one of the Delta missions you get a silenced sniper rifle and your choice of an array of silenced weapons, Uzi, MP5, handgun. The point of the mission is to make it through about a dozen guards as well as a dozen other snipers that are looking for you. The map is HUGE, taking a large portion of it from a MW1 map. This map was far bigger than any of multiplayer maps and as I was playing the level all I could think about was why this wasn't a game type on multiplayer. Example: Out of 16 online one person is the sniper in a gillie suit (silenced). Try to make it from one side of the map to the other without getting discovered or killing the entire team looking for you. The team your against could either be regular soldiers or snipers themselves. The tactics of this would be really cool and could enhance the game play of the multiplayer maps that too often seem like, run shoot die, run shoot die.

realgray
11-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Also, most of the maps seem kind of small so if I ever want to snipe I have to use the ACOG on a barrett and treat it like a rifle.