PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vegas special offer on amazon (UK)

T-Light
11-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Needed a video editor a couple of weeks back. My old one was Ulead Media Studio Pro v6. It's dead in the water these days, no HD, not even widescreen.

Went through a number of cheap video editors. Preferred Sony Movie Studio over the rest (more like my old Media Studio). Was going to go for the ultra cheap 25 version then found the full thing for only 45.

This is the full Sony Vegas Media studio Platinum Pro Pack (mouthfull), it's normally about 95. Amazon are even selling the student and teachers version for more than this. Don't know if they've made a mistake, but if they have, they've been making for at least a couple of weeks.

US reviews for this product mentioned it didn't come with the Cinescore plugin even though it was advertised. According to Amazon UK, this version doesn't come with the plugin but royalty free music instead. Mine didn't, it came with Cinescore, which made the deal even sweeter.

Here's the link (It's sold by Amazon - not a merchant)...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Vegas-Movie-Studio-Pack/dp/B001FB56UM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1258347474&sr=8-2

This isn't the 500 Sony Vegas, but it's good enough for my needs.
Here's a link to the Sony site if you fancy a play with the demo...
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp

It's good enough for reasonably complicated editing, you can render out 32bit png's in LW and run basic alpha compositing+special effects. Its major limitations over the full 500 package are 3D warping (for text backgrounds etc), limited blending (you only get alpha + Multiply in this version), and four video mixing tracks as opposed to unlimited.

All in all, this is a bit of a bargain, if your in need of a cheap but very solid editor, this might fit the bill.

Here's my first ditty for youtube (test for resolution / quality as much as anything else)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXUbI2k4isM

* Should also say, Cinescore is the plugin, not the standalone, it has less features but it's still amazingly usefull. The video in the link above uses it. Essentially you right click an empty audio track, add the plugin (it works out how long your video is), select a theme, select the audio you think fits best, it works out the rest. Instant royalty free music every time, I can't get enough of it.

Any questions just pop them here, I'll answer them if I can.

cresshead
11-16-2009, 03:19 AM
Q's !!
1.so it loads up seq of images such as png's and you see them as a clip on the timeline?
2. how's it compare to say speed edit, final cut express or premiere ?
3.can you do a-b editing like the old premiere?[not a big deal just wondering]
4. if i upload a small test vid clip can you see it it loads in okay from my new kodak vid camera [hd]
5.does it support hd1080p as well as 720p?
6. output to youtube..does it support the youtube HD output?
7. can you tap in markers for edits like premiere with a keyboard shortcut?
8. multires clips can you mix/match res of different vi clips on the timeline?
9.does it feel solid in use?
10. can you custom create video project size and fps or only presets [like final cut express]

11....important one..is the sopftware keyed with a serial number like final cut or is it locked to a pc forever like speed edit with some hideoous softlock?
12. can you move installs f rom say a laptop to a desktop if needed..ie export the softlock key like maya/ma if it is a softlock?

thanks in advance!

cresshead
11-16-2009, 03:25 AM
does it have a keyer for bluescreen/greenscreen work?

downloading the demo now btw!

T-Light
11-16-2009, 10:08 AM
B****y h*ll Steve :D

OK

1) so it loads up seq of images such as png's and you see them as a clip on the timeline?
Yes. You pop into preferences, set the time for imported still (Pal = .04 secs), select your images then drag them onto the timeline. You might want to group them for ease of editing, moving them about etc.

2) how's it compare to say speed edit, final cut express or premiere ?
No idea, I haven't used them (I did use premiere briefly back in the 90's but found it really unstable - I take it it's moved on since then). If I had the money to spend (aka 500 - I'd buy Speed Edit - I'm still blown away by that thing)

3) can you do a-b editing like the old premiere?[not a big deal just wondering]
Sorry Steve, not exactly sure what a-b editing is, I have an idea, but can't give you a definite answer. To edit video clips, pop your mouse pointer over a particular clip, press 's' (splits the clip). Now move your new clip to it's desired location. If you move another clip near your edited clip, a coloured line will appear at the exact point where the two clips join. If you want to overlap the clips for fades or effects, just drag your upper or lower clip under or over each other (a time marker will appear to show how long the transition will take. This will trigger an auto fade for your transition. If you want another kind of transition (3D blinds, blur -zoom etc), select them from the transitions tab and drag them over your overlapped section of clips.

4)if i upload a small test vid clip can you see it it loads in okay from my new kodak vid camera [hd]
Certainly will.

5)does it support hd1080p as well as 720p?
Yes it does, but I've no idea how well it works with that format. The max I've been to 1280*720p (the vid for youtube). It's certainly slower to work with that format (video playback rather than editing which makes no difference), but I am working on a three year old lap top.

6) output to youtube..does it support the youtube HD output?
Weirdly enough, I can't answer that one. When I made the video for Youtube I created it as a 1280*720p 6MB WMV file. I uploaded that WMV file to youtube. I saw a tutorial saying that was the best way to preserve quality. It can upload directly to youtube, but I'm not sure if it uploads HighDef, I'll check. Here's the first Youtube movie I made with it in the High Def format...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXUbI2k4isM

7) can you tap in markers for edits like premiere with a keyboard shortcut?
Not sure vegas markers are the same as premiers markers. Press M when you're on the clips timeline to add a vegas marker.

8)multires clips can you mix/match res of different vi clips on the timeline?
Yes

9)does it feel solid in use?
Yes. I tries about 6 different editors below 100. Two or three were more powerfull in things like built in particle effects etc, None of them compared to the Sony for stability, it's why I settled on the Sony.

10)can you custom create video project size and fps or only presets [like final cut express]
Difficult one. I tend to stick to preset sizes. There's a lot of variability in sizes in vegas but you may find in the end you're limited by your codec. It's not the same as other video editors I tested in that you have full custom options rather thanjust PAL/NTSC/720p (PAL) 720p (NTSC) etc. Give me a custom size for your kodac video and I'll give it ago.

11)important one..is the sopftware keyed with a serial number like final cut or is it locked to a pc forever like speed edit with some hideoous softlock?
Don't know, I've only installed it on one macine. Friend of mind has the full version of Sound Forge, he says when you move it to another machine you reset it via the net to work with that machine. ie, you can move it to whichever machine you want, but you can only have one machine working at a time. I'm guessing it's the same with movie studio, but only guessing.

12)can you move installs from say a laptop to a desktop if needed..ie export the softlock key like maya/ma if it is a softlock?
See 11 :)

Hope that helps Steve, pop up your vid and I'll give it a go :)

T-Light
11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
does it have a keyer for bluescreen/greenscreen work?

downloading the demo now btw!

Whoops, missed that one. Yes it does, looks quite decent too, although I haven't used it yet.

Something I didn't mention when I wrote the original post. You also get Sound Forge (not Pro) included + a DVD creation package + Special effects and transitions from NewBlue (+cinescore). None of this stuff comes with the downloadable demo, only the purchase version.

T-Light
11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Steve, In answer to your registration question.

I installed Movie Studio on my old system. I entered the same ownership details as for the laptop. The registration went fine and I have a fully working setup.

I came back to the laptop and ran Vegas, no problems, no registration issues, no 'this software is no longer registered with this machine etc". It doesn't seem to mind I'm running it on two seperate machines.

This isn't the difinitive answer of course, maybe if I run it long enough it'll flash up a warning, but I don't know of any software that does that, you're usually told straight away.

As I say, not definitive but hope that helps.

[edit] - It's a serial number with online registration, Sorry, missed that from your earlier question.

warrenwc
11-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Anyone running 64bit windows or having a lot of VSTs on their system would be wise to download the free trial first.
Both Sony Vegas & Premier Elements will try to start on my system-then load every single VST they find on the hard drives & crash.
I can't find any way to abort the load either.

T-Light
11-16-2009, 03:15 PM
No idea if this will work, but you could try...

1) Temporarily rename your VST plugins directory to 'Steingerg/VSTPluginsTEMP'

2) Open Vegas

3) Goto Options|Preferences|VST Effects Tab and clear the default VST directory. Apply the changes, rename your actual VST directory back to 'VSTPlugins'. Then start Vegas again.

Good Luck.

Another point which might (might) be causing a problem. If one or more of your VST's are not fully 64bit compliant, this may be your problem, I'm only guessing though, I don't know anything about VST architecture.

warrenwc
11-16-2009, 05:47 PM
NONE of my plugins are 64 bit, but neither is Vegas.
Or Premier elements for that matter.
It seems like just a weird decision to have them load all the VSTs they can find. Why not allow you to load those you wish to run?
Anyway I'm actually having good luck with Magix Video Edit Pro's demo & I've gotten it to do everything I need.
I'll probably end up buying it.
I use FL Studio a lot & renaming & moving stuff around just to make a vid editor stop crashing is a little too annoying for me.:)

Andyjaggy
11-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I've used Sony Vegas in the past and really liked it. I used the full fledged version however so I can't say about the cheaper versions.

T-Light
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
warrenwc:

I use FL Studio a lot & renaming & moving stuff around just to make a vid editor stop crashing is a little too annoying for me.:)

It's not permanent, just temporary to stop your video editors scanning your VST's. Rename them back once your done.

I tried Magix Video Edit Pro, to be fair it was pretty solid, but I found it was slow on pre-reading certain video formats, I couldn't play certain video formats without a delay while it tried to sort out a timeline display. You may have a far more powerfull machine.

Best of luck either way bud.

T-Light
11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I've used Sony Vegas in the past and really liked it. I used the full fledged version however so I can't say about the cheaper versions.

I think they're pretty much the same tech, it's a little like photoshop elements vs fully fledged photoshop. ie, if there's a sytem instability you should see the same problem with both apps.

T-Light
11-16-2009, 10:54 PM
WarrenC:

NONE of my plugins are 64 bit, but neither is Vegas
I use FlStudio too. It maybe that the creators of FLStudio (primarily audio) plan for these quirks and premieire and vegas don't. It's worth trying my solution above(I know it's not perfect), but if you're after a half decent editing solution, it might be worth it. Should be a one time deal and after that you should be OK.

archijam
11-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

For those interested, here's a Vegas comparison chart (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp/compare).

edit: Could this mean there is a new version on the way? I notice that this was first listed on amazon Oct 2008.

(I'm still going to buy it ;) )

edit 2: The closest FinalCut comparison (http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/MB278Z/A#overview) doesn't seem to come close.

T-Light
11-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Yup, there could be a new version on the way, Sound Forge 10 is out, Sony aren't cutting their prices on Movie Studio though, and there aren't any hints coming though of a new version in their emails, the weird price deal is Amazon only.

I have had an email saying they're killing Cinescore though. Building something else apparently. Good news is, they're reducing the prices on the full Cinescore (about 37 down from about 100) and the Audio packs are down from 60-70 to about 20.

Worth it I reckon, or, go for individual themes at about 5 each.

Went through them the other day, everyones tastes vary but...
Global Stage
Ghosts in the mist

Hyperculture
Selkies

Reel Rock (it's how it's spelt)
Hard tail
Nurse Ratchet
Beer Goggles
Surf Rock City

The Big Picture
Time
Faith
Rest
Ballance
Peace
Need
Motion

Urban 24
Can't catch me
Exurbin
Ibiza Loise
Only in America
Pixel Pusher
The Globaliser

Full list with playable demos here...
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/loop_libraries/themepacks.asp

T-Light
11-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Hang on, just popped back into the theme packs, they're now 1.98 each???
This from the reel rock pack...
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/reelrock

Sit tight another couple of days, they might be paying us to take them off their hands. :D

warrenwc
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice.
For some reason (It may be the 64 bit thing or just the configuration of my system), a lot of 32 bit video editors just hang at some point.
Even when Vegas does run it just freezes sooner or later(Hard lockup & otherwise my system is rock solid).
So far only the Magix demo has hung(not) in there.

cresshead
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
my copy of sony vegas movie studio 9 platinum pro pak arrived from amazon today!

will let you know how it compares to speed edit and final cut express

cresshead
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
installed...currently playing with sony vegas

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80519&d=1261586830

cresshead
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
explorer view pane within vegas doesn't sem to be able to show thumbnails which is going to slow down searching for images/clips...thoug if you use the "explore curent folder" then you DO get thumbs...so not too bad really.

i'm liking the project media bin..sony vegas throws what your using into it as you make your edits

not finding much love the Event pan/crop...seem counter intuative...if you just want to import a image and scale it up to fill the frame it's like 'do the opposite' and it works!
as yeet not found a definative % preview window for the program output or a full screen either...still i really should look at the manual eh!

cresshead
12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
okay got dual monitor working now with program fullscreen preview on my HD 24"monitor and the u.i of vegas on my 15" laptop screen!...doesn't like it the other way around...might be cos of the res or somethin but cannot get my 720P preview to show up on the laptop's screen [1280x800] and the u.i. on the hd 24 monitor...still might need a reboot or somthin!

cresshead
12-25-2009, 06:52 PM
did my first work on sony vegas tonight, cutiting some music to video...for a chase seq.
works okay....getting there with this new editor!

used some score form the free lib or music that comes with the editor...they sure give you loads of extras!

archijam
12-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the updates Cress - haven't had a chance to play with it myself yet ..

Is that your character (girl crying) ? Nice!

cresshead
12-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the updates Cress - haven't had a chance to play with it myself yet ..

Is that your character (girl crying) ? Nice!

this one?
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70505&d=1236081478

yeah...zbrush as ususal!:)