PDA

View Full Version : 2012 is about universal health care!!! hahaha

jin choung
11-14-2009, 11:49 PM
oliver platt is the republican position.

chewitel ejiofor is the democratic position.

and as usual, america is the last ones to open their doors!!!

hahahahahahaha....

oh man.... if for no other reason, i like this movie because it re-articulates the issues in a fresh and hopefully clearer way.

in many ways, titanic dealt with similar themes but was less timely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vfx were spectacular. and story was pretty good too.

worst thing was that the destruction and cracks in the earth were ALWAYS ALWAYS - "just behind them"!

i mean wtf.

and if the car stops and they get out, the crack in the earth that was chasing them at 50mph slows down and stops for the heroes to run to the plane.

again, the biggest the problem with vfx these days is not necessarily that they are not photoreal. most of the time, they are.

but the fact that it is being shot in such a way that couldn't be replicated in reality. in particular, there is one shot where there is a sweeping reveal of an "ark" and it would have worked so much better if it was either shot as if from a helicopter (of which there were some in frame even) or some other mode of humanly transportation.

and the other biggest giveaway is that things are being depicted that you know for a certainty is impossible.

the destruction and escapes are laugh out loud preposterous. but laughing is a form of enjoyment.

so for one and all, vfx fans, john cusack fans, dems so that they can feel smugly affirmed and repubs to see how inhumane they are ( :) ), i recommend this movie.

hahahahahahaha...

jin

probiner
11-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Scheduelded with a friend to see it today, but all sold out around here =(

It's not i WANT to see the movie, but i imagine that in the theatre it must be something.
Most movies are decently seen in the little box at home many time later, without conciensce asking: what about those 5euros? (ducking for cover)

Cheers

oobievision
11-15-2009, 04:48 AM
I plan on seing this one in Imax, thanks for the review!

Kuzey
11-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Escaping in a limousine and heading for the airport is just classic stuff...I plan/need to watch it.

:D

Kuzey

Ernest
11-15-2009, 09:15 AM
No matter how convincing the pro-universal health care arguments of 2012 may be, they cannot make up for the fact that UHC is being promoted by slimy reptilians from outer space.

jin choung
11-15-2009, 01:25 PM
No matter how convincing the pro-universal health care arguments of 2012 may be, they cannot make up for the fact that UHC is being promoted by slimy reptilians from outer space.

Yeah but as long as that slimy reptile keeps on morena baccarin's skin, that's a plenty compelling argument already. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Besides, unless they can show how western Europe and Canada are reptilian dominated hell holes, it's tough to argue for the dire consequences of alien invasion.

Jin

cresshead
11-15-2009, 01:56 PM
really looking forward to 2012 arriving at my local cinema as for V i've seen the first 2 via a friend who can get ahold of usa stuff...looks good to me so far so fingers crossed on that one!

the only sad things with some of the uhc references will be the 95% of the population of the planet due to watch this movie will simply NOT understand those references at all...too much usa inward looking references can harm the marketing of a film worldwide if the references are really poor an pretty much stupid seeing as uk has had uhc since the 1950's [national health] and will simply wonder how amazing it is that somewhere like usa is so behind the curve on this basic requirement.

BigHache
11-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Caught this flick last night. VFX shots were pretty great. Best comment for me so far is from my roommate whom said he counted at least three high-tension climaxes. I'd categorize it as rather "fun" for the end of the world.

Nangleator
11-16-2009, 07:00 AM
worst thing was that the destruction and cracks in the earth were ALWAYS ALWAYS - "just behind them"!
It's from the Duke's of Hazzard physics textbook: The faster you go, the safer you are.

The thing that bugs me about the airplane sequence from the trailer is that airplanes can climb! It's part of why we use them! Don't go futzing around 30 feet over a city that's falling apart. Climb!

ivanze
11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm not an expert in physics, but won't that land falling apart in the airplane sequence cause suction?

jin choung
11-16-2009, 12:17 PM
that would have been good justification... if only the film makers thought to use that as a rationale for having action that close....

actually, i thought it would have been funny if the plane hit a pedestrian or something. like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDmfvqQHF10

and another thing planes can do is DIVE.... when they're trying to OUTRUN things, the best thing to do is not to pull straight up on the yoke! get some fing airspeed you ginks!

jin