PDA

View Full Version : Surface presets copyright question

yaschan
11-14-2009, 12:29 AM
I wonder what are the copyrights related to the ready Lightwave preset files, what comes to producing stock CGI footage. Recently I produce a clip which I want to upload to a certain stock footage site. The stock footage sites are very strict on what comes to these things. Essentially everything must be created by the artist himself.
But within this clip I'd like use "Rock" surface from default lightwave preset library. Could this become issue? Because I know someone made that rock texture just for Lightwave users, and it is essentially his work. Maybe he is not happy to see it in stock footage clip.
But then, where to draw a line? Are ball bearings using preset chrome texture also under copyright?
I wonder what the legal text says on this.

yaschan
11-15-2009, 02:43 AM
hmm. anyone?

Kuzey
11-15-2009, 05:49 AM
I look at this way, if you bought the presets then I would expect it not to be redistributed. If is free and has no read me file stating what you can and can't use it for, then it should be fine.

If you know the creator of the preset..you could always send them an email.

Kuzey

shrox
11-15-2009, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't think using them is a copyright issue, reselling them might be. To me it's like the paint on an object in a movie, does the paint manufacturer get paid other that the original purchase price if it's their paint?

yaschan
11-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, I see. Of course redistributing is not fine, because I think Lightwave default presets are part of Lightwave as a product.

The Lightwave retailer here in Japan said that some of the included objects in Lightwave disc can be used for commercial use, but some cannot. They didn't specifically say which models are OK and which are not.
I just wonder what this means what comes to surfaces. I think objects are different thing, and I can understand that.

Silkrooster
11-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Also take a part the surface and see if any images are associated with them or are they just procedurals, that can make a difference.

yaschan
11-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Procedurals only, and I adjusted the color myself.. Am I being paranoid? But I'd love to hear official word from Newtek.