PDA

View Full Version : Howto: undo last hide

papillon68
11-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi, I never found a command to undo last polygon (or polygons) hide action.
So for example, when I hide some polygons with the lasso tool, and I press -, if I see that I made a mistake I don't know how to undo this last action and make those visible again.
Thanks !

BeeVee
11-13-2009, 05:35 PM
You can't undo a hide, but you can unhide all.

B

papillon68
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
That's a pity, do you know if such feature will be available in Core ?

Surrealist.
11-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Lets hope so. It haa been requested several times. Many other packages have undo for hide. Blender has undo for all selections hiding and so on. I am not sure why why 9.6 could not have that. I am not sure if it is just something impossible with the antiquated code or what. I kind of doubt is because they don't see the need. It has been requested and explained in quite a bit of detail by me and others several times.

papillon68
11-14-2009, 01:19 AM
I kind of doubt is because they don't see the need. It has been requested and explained in quite a bit of detail by me and others several times.

Well, it's obviously a very important feature, and I do also hope they will listen to customer requests...

BeeVee
11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
You can always create selection sets or parts. You have to select the polys in the first place to hide them, so you can create a selection for them so that you can always select those again to rehide?

B

Surrealist.
11-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Of course. I think many of us could be much more disciplined in this area than we are.

At the same time this is the first layer of the onion skin that one pulls back to this problem.

Because you have to first select the parts you want to create sets for. It is in the action you may accidentally select something that you don't want - after - you have spent a considerable amount of time slecting the points or polys you wanted for this selection set.

Now what? You have to start over that is what. Undo needs to be tied into ALL actions. I am not sure Modeler can do that or not with the current code. If it can, not doing so is pretty much a crime at this point IMHO. That's why I can only guess it is not possible.

Many times you are what I would call "riffing" for lack of a better term. You are going through your model in a very free form manner - or trying to - and hiding this and that, looking to get the right things in view. Ooops, you hid the wrong thing. No undo. You now have to unhide everything and, you guessed it, start over.

Put simply undo needs to be tied to more things.

What is needed and wanted from an artist perspective is just things more intuitive. Selections sets are fine. They are a great way to organize but they are not intuitive, interactive nor dynamic.

I have gone farther in my requests in the past and feel as if there is a great need for not only more undo but for interactive intuitive and dynamic viability sets and also more visibility options between layers to work on parts of a model at a time other than simply wire-frame for those things in the BG.

probiner
11-17-2009, 02:21 AM
Yes Undo could cover more areas, but... there could be different types of undo. right?

With 2 or 3 layers of undo, the steps you have to take back are more controlable and less stuff to be redone.

Things that LW doesn't undo today and could be great if it would in some other layers:

Layer2 undo:
- Visual stuff. Selecting (i have to redo slecections many times). Hiding. Changing Appearence, like color, or viewport settings, Navigation (this would be nice too)
- Settings (Surface Editor, Scene Editor, Numeric Panel, every Propeties Panel.)
- Visual stuff. Selecting (i have to redo slecections many times). Hiding. Changing Appearence

Layer3 undo:
- KeyFrames. This could be another layer. Since keyframes now, once marked or transfromed, no way back.

Thinking too big and complicated? errr... maybe

Sensei
11-17-2009, 07:06 AM
That's a pity, do you know if such feature will be available in Core ?

Less likely in Core than in LW v9.x. Core keeps everything as index, and when you delete some point/edge/poly that is not the last in list, the all remaining indexes are changing..
So it could be done just to absolute last action, when indexes are same.
In LW v9.x it's possible to make multilevel undo for hiding, even for 3rd party developer.

Surrealist.
11-17-2009, 09:32 AM
What?

Could somebody please clarify?

That can't be true.

probiner - yeah. Agreed. Like in Photo Shop of even Blender, you have an undo stack.

If CORE is managing its data in the above mentioned way, I find that hard to believe. This was supposed to be a state of the art application.

Please someone tell me this is not true.

In Blender for instance yo

Sensei
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Keeping points/edges/polygons in indexes is better than keeping direct data pointers. In low-level of core pointer always can be get from array f.e.

Polygon *m_Polygons;
Polygon *polygon;
polygon = &m_Polygons[ index ];

But doing reverse (getting index from pointer) is real pain (low-level of LW is probably cheating and keeping index inside of element's internal data, wasting another 4 bytes of memory for each point/poly).. All 3rd party renderers have to do it while scanning data in LW v7.x-v9.x, and it's very slowing down process, especially important in real-time interactive renderers like TrueHair Preview and Fprime. Point indexes are important to properly set up LWNodalAccess and LWShaderAccess structures. Some nodes might need these data.

Direct pointer can be also volatile, if mesh is generated in fly (what is very true with history stack and mesh modifiers), each time it's different. But plug-in like SelectionPresetManager from TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu is scanning data to verify that pointers are still used (otherwise it would be crashing after deleting points/polygons that are stored in preset and plug-in would try to select/deselect them). In Core such plug-in probably won't be possible to make.

symko
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
You can use the \ (slash key) to show them once you hit - (minus) to hide them.

Surrealist.
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Right. The point is, that unhides everhything. That is the problem.