PDA

View Full Version : 3PLAY information missing from your website..

Arnesten
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Hello!

This product looks very interesting, but there are some important pieces of information missing from your web page:

- what sort of connection is there between the PC and the control panel? (serial, USB, ethernet, or other?) Can it be placed up to 100m apart from the PC through KVM/USB extenders and/or ethernet?

- how does recording fill up the storage space? Is there a "loop record" function that will enable the unit to record for longer periods of time, but saving clips that have been made from being written over? Will you have to manually clear unneeded recordings from the disk after a session?

- is there a file import function? Or is there an export funcion ONLY?
I understand there are some issues with being flexible enough to import "anything", but have you thought of making an application that would convert a mediafile into your preferred format and type to enable this? I guess that it would be a very welcome addition for users, enabling them to load conent for playback during production.

- will you publish a PDF with more info on your web page soon?

Thanks for any info.
Keep up the good work. This looks very promising.

Regards
ARNE

SBowie
11-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm not the right guy, but will try to answer your questions as best I can:

what sort of connection is there between the PC and the control panel? (serial, USB, ethernet, or other?) Can it be placed up to 100m apart from the PC through KVM/USB extenders and/or ethernet?It's a standard USB connection. I'm sorry, I have no idea on the limits of USB in terms of feet, but you can probably find the info online as fast as I can. I expect USB extenders of some sort are available commercially, maybe another member can recommend something they've used.

Hello!how does recording fill up the storage space? Is there a "loop record" function that will enable the unit to record for longer periods of time, but saving clips that have been made from being written over? Will you have to manually clear unneeded recordings from the disk after a session?According to the 3Play FAQ, the storage time for HD is about 11 hours ... much more for SD, of course.

There is no 'loop' record function such as you describe. You can back up sessions to a external storage if you like, then delete it to clear space. You can also export it for use on other systems.

is there a file import function? Or is there an export funcion ONLY?Export only, apart from reloading a backed up session. Media file import is a common feature request, and doubtless something that will be fulfilled - but it's not in version 1.

Hope this helps.

Arnesten
11-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello SBowie.

USB extenders ARE easily available. Cheap ones use CAT5e cable to extend USB 1.1 up to 50-100m. No problem. It is USB 1.1 I assume??

The other issues about recording will probably be answered by reading the manual or so. Is this available on your website?

Thanks for the information.

Regards
ARNE

SBowie
11-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Here's a link to the manual:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/3PLAY/3Play...july.23.09.pdf

I asked about the 3P-10 USB protocol. The ports on the system are almost certainly USB 2.0, and the controller may be too - but I was told it should degrade to work with a 1.1 extender without any bandwidth concerns, which is about what I expected.

SBowie
11-16-2009, 09:48 AM
According to the 3Play FAQ, the storage time for HD is about 11 hours ... much more for SD, of course.Just to update this information - I've been informed that an impending 3Play software update imposes a fixed 12 hour limit on recording capacity for any session.