PDA

View Full Version : how to make waves?

Justin Hicks
02-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey everyone here my problem i have been trying to find a way to make an ocean scean with huge waves with white caps and the camera going in and out of the water but i cant figure out how to make the wave's i'v fidled around with displacment maps but i cant figure them out......Im i going about this all wrong?

thanks in advance...

brtk
02-26-2003, 08:16 PM
I think that simplylightwave.com had a free tut about this, I remember it was a huge tut - 2 parts and several megs of downloading...good luck

yes its still there I have just checked... and its 3 pars not 2:p

Justin Hicks
02-26-2003, 09:42 PM
thanks i will try that tomarow thanks for telling me ill try to let you know how it goes...thanks again!....

SplineGod
02-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Justin Hicks
Hey everyone here my problem i have been trying to find a way to make an ocean scean with huge waves with white caps and the camera going in and out of the water but i cant figure out how to make the wave's i'v fidled around with displacment maps but i cant figure them out......Im i going about this all wrong?

thanks in advance...
Use your displacment maps as you said.
Apply a gradient map that goes from dark blue to aqua to white
to the side of your wave object world coordinates. As the waves move up they will change color. You can also add mable and other procedurals in a similar way but with falloff so that the very tops of the waves get that veiny pattern it in. Do the same with translucency and transparency.

Justin Hicks
02-27-2003, 08:12 PM
hey i dont have gradients it says you dont have gradiants with this version of lightwave...or something is their any other way?

SplineGod
02-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Justin Hicks
hey i dont have gradients it says you dont have gradiants with this version of lightwave...or something is their any other way?
Create a gradient in your paint program of choice.
You can also apply the marble texture at a certain heighth with a reference null then give the texture a falloff so the wave will have to move up into the texture (use world coords) for the white veiny like foamy stuff will appear.

Justin Hicks
02-27-2003, 08:22 PM
hey im knew at this a gradient map is just a pictue with white/whatever at the top and a diff color at the bottom right?...and they just blend into each other?....

SplineGod
02-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Which version of LW are you using?
LW7.5 has a texture type called gradients.
Notice how the deeper water is blue then it gets more aqua then finally the caps are white. I used a procedural texture with falloff to get the mottled foamy areas around the white caps. This was a quickie setup but you should get the idea.

Justin Hicks
02-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Ya i think i have the concept of gradients i took a tute on here for making ocean waves (im using LightWave 3D express AKA 6.5) and whenever i try to add a layer (gradient) it says this version of lightwave does not alow gradients...i dont know why do you think it is a glitch?...well anyway... thanks for the help ill try to figure it out..