PDA

View Full Version : Mocap solutions for lw

silviotoledo
11-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I tried to aply some mocap to LW and I see LW is not well prepared to this.

OK, what should I do? Import BVH file, desactive all bones, use MASTER null to scale it to fit my character, edit BONES in MODELER WITH PLUGIN to match my character geometry, press "r" for active bones in rest ( scale, lenght, position, rotation.... ) and then Play?

Sounds easy :).

The big problem is that mocap are not perfect, and if I clean a little more the motions in graph editor to have keys to edit, sometimes it goes crazy, 'cause BVH files solves PER FRAME and generally it rotates the bone totally from one frame to other.

Some BVH files comes with Crazy axis movement you only will see if you add some frames between the baked motion, and flics a lot!

The solution would be a Layer animation to adjust.

Maybe a second IK skelegon with blend option.

Ideas?

Come on, please add here all the material, tutors, and so on you have about MOCAP in lightwave .

BeeVee
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Have a look at the Animeeple article in the October newsletter here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php

B

Davewriter
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Larry Shultz has done some great things Mocap wise, using IKBoost. He also did a great class through KURV several months ago. Now if they ever dig up the time capsule it's in and put it up for sale...
Where's Indiana Jones when ya need him...?

StereoMike
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I read the animeeple guide. And don't get me wrong, but this is more something to make you feel depressed, not to frolick.
It needs a gazillion pages to get that complicated method to work. Thankfully the guys at animeeple are working on it.
Though, thanks to the guy who wrote the guide. Pioneer.

tyrot
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
dear DAVE

really mate..I was waiting for that legendary DVD....someone told me ..a shining lightwaver templar knight actually saw that DVD (IKBmocap) and buried under temple of solomon. I guess Kurv is trying to find that temple...

(COME ON KUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRV)
BEST

silviotoledo
11-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks LW collaborative comunity!

Motion builder is a complex other software, wich can animate the characters also with better tools than lightwave.
If I would have to use Motion Builder, of course I would not use lightwave. I can completelly rig and animate in motion builder.

Animeeple is a way to retarget mocap to lightwave, but the proccess IN and OUT is too big for something that would be not so complex. There's a big amount of erros we need to solve during the process.

JimmyRig seems to be very similar to animeeple. It is a solution, but paid one. Can't we solve it on lightwave tools?

At the end, we need a simple BONE LINK or RETARGET SCRIPT on lightwave. To transfer the movement from some bones from MOCAP to our bones.

Follower does not work on hierarqui. Relativity Follower also doesn't.

We also need a way to blend the MOCAP to our rig. I will try relativity again.

Larry Booster. Save us!

Any more ideas?

tyrot
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Larry Booster. Save us!

Any more ideas?

may be KURV save us. After all these waiting he should give away this DVD :)

best

tyrot
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
HEY Kurv

i see Larry's MOCAP DVD ..... But man ! 40 bucks! grrr! We are in the middle of economic crisis sir!! SAVE you SAVE me lets SAVE together...:)

That is the ONE right?...about IKB + MOCAP thing..? i was waiting for so long...

BEST

shrox
01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
dear DAVE

really mate..I was waiting for that legendary DVD....someone told me ..a shining lightwaver templar knight actually saw that DVD (IKBmocap) and buried under temple of solomon. I guess Kurv is trying to find that temple...

(COME ON KUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRV)
BEST

But the Dome on the Rock is built there now...prophesy says the Dome must come down, I never guessed it would be to get at some tutorial DVD for Lightwave. Wait a minute, Torah, tutorial...hmmm.

Cageman
01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I always use Motionbuilder for any type of MoCap work and transfer the animationdata to/from LW using FBX. It is simply the best tool around, and LightWave would need some redicilous rewriting in order to come on par with what a tool like Motionbuilder can do.

Cageman
01-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I just read the instructions from the LW-workflow documentation regarding Animeeple and it does EXACTLY they way I do things, but with Motionbuilder instead. The only difference is that I use the old legacy FBX-toolset to merge animationdata back into LW, so I effectively avoid situations where things are imported.

tyrot
01-06-2010, 10:04 PM
cageman:) i smell another awesome video tutorial about that MB/LW data transfer. Because i read nothing but horror stories between two applications..

Which version MB you are using?

and also is there anybody knows how to blend MOCAP files within LW layout? Is it possible through plugins? motionmixer? IKB?

Cageman
01-06-2010, 10:21 PM

And yes... I've been working on and off on a solid FBX tutorial for some time. Though, I did stumble across a couple of bugs / lacking features within the native (as in LW9.6) implementation of FBX, and I have been laying low with the tutorial creation. I ended up doing a 20 minute demo for NewTek, showcasing what features would need to go into FBX and also the most prominent bugs, all with content for them to test. I also showed how the old legacy FBX-toolset for LW could circumvent all the bugs as well as already having the features needed for fast and clean work. But all this was submitted in as a bug/feature request and since some of the content used is not for outsiders to use or take advantage of, the bugtracker case will remain a secret between me and NewTek.

However, I did a videotutorial for a user not too long ago, showing him how he can make use of the native (as in LW9.6) FBX-toolset in conjunction with Motionbuilder without major issues (some minor inconviniences though). Two hours after I had sent him the videotutorial, he replied with an animation he had done in Motionbuilder and successfully transfered it over to LW. Happy days!

:)

lookin4info
02-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I don't mean to go off topic too far, but I found one gent's tutorial on how he converts mocap animation from Max to LW here:

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/brent_character/brent_01.php

I've done a lot of work with Max, Maya and Mocap over the years and just wanted to impart my 2 cents worth. Not sure if there's a thread on this already - but there is an alternative to buying motion builder - you can get the DAZ Studio for free on DAZ3D.com, and they have a fairly cheap FBX exporter. You can load your bvh files into rigs on there, export them to FBX, and perhaps bring them into LW that way. I'm working on it right now.

silviotoledo
02-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks!

Very good information!

Please keep us updated about your DAZ pipeline.
Have you also tried blender?

There's also another problem in LW. Once there's no layer animation, it's hardd to adjust mocap.

Is there any youtube videos of your mocap animations in LW?

lookin4info
02-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks!
Very good information!
Please keep us updated about your DAZ pipeline.
Have you also tried blender?
There's also another problem in LW. Once there's no layer animation, it's hardd to adjust mocap.

Is there any youtube videos of your mocap animations in LW?
Haven't used blender. Seems like the PLK is the best way to deal with all the LW Mocap problems. I haven't done any good mocap animations in LW yet; just with other programs.

lmings
02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I have been following this short thread hoping it would lead to that golden treasure spoken of earlier. While I have not had a need for motion capture, it would be nice to know if the need arise I would have something in my current bag of tricks to please.

But when it comes to BVH files and mocap, I am at a lost. I had hoped it would be as simple as bringing in the mocap BVH into Modeler with the current names and bone structure, adjusting the bones, perhaps creating weight maps, and saving the model. From there, simply loading the model in Lightwave and loading the BVH file that was used in Modeler. With Motionmixer....done!!!!

Can this be done?

Lennon

lmings
02-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Megalodon,

Thanks for the info... I did not know such a training from Kurv was there.

Thanks again.

Lennon

VonBon
02-17-2010, 12:57 AM
never tried Mocap stuff but was thinking (again)
maybe you need to make all the keys linear in the graph editor.