PDA

View Full Version : Decal over Dielectric Node possible?

jesblood
11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
I need help. I've modeled a wine glass and need to show it painted on. This render is for a hand painted glassware company. I'm going to render a snapshot from inside the bowl part of the wine glass and use it as a background for their website design.

Does anyone here know of a way to create decals over the dielectric node? Help desperatley needed.

I'd greatly appreciate any help out there. Thanks.

OnlineRender
11-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I dont much about nodes , but I would cheat and just set-up a light and beam the decal directly onto it , other than I cant help .

Nangleator
11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Maybe use the material mixer node, and the other material is an SSS node. The alpha of your decal is the toggle in the material mixer, and the color of your decal is the color for the SSS node?

toby
11-11-2009, 03:27 AM
Why SSS? Could easily be done with a Phong shader

Nangleator
11-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Has to be a material node to go into the material mixer, right? Yes, other materials will work. The blank one will work well, too.

Maxx
11-12-2009, 05:14 AM
You can use Make Material and Material Mixer to make this happen. Plug the Dielectric node into input A, the image color gets input into the diffuse input on the Make Material node - that then gets plugged in to input B on the Mixer node. You can use the luma output from the image node as the alpha in the Material Mixer node.

Skinner3D
11-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I had a similar problem a little while ago. Here is the node setup that I used. I hope it helps at least a little :)
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101734
The major difference being that I used the Carpaint node and you want the dielectric, but it should in theory work the same way.
:goodluck:
:D

dwburman
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
If it's a label that's stuck on the bottle, you could just do it as a separate piece of geometry. In a sense, it'd be more realistic since most labels are glued on, not fused with the glass.

jesblood
11-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks you guys. All good suggestions. I'll give them a try and see what works best.

@ dwburman

I had the same thought. It's nice to see someone else considering the same. Thanks.