PDA

View Full Version : imaging software recommendations

biliousfrog
11-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I've finally had a chance to get my new box ready as my workstation replacement, just got Win 7 loaded and my email accounts and networks configured, I'd now like to create an image so that I can restore back to this point without requiring a reformat. I'd also like to create another image once all my main apps are installed so that I can start fresh after major projects.

I've bought true image by Acronis but I'm not convinced that it can do what I want, it seems to be more for data backup...it also seems to have some pretty poor reviews now that I've started searching for ways to backup/restore a full system :foreheads ...any ideas?

OnlineRender
11-10-2009, 10:01 AM
img burn or nero

biliousfrog
11-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Would they work? It needs to restore a whole system from a disk image so backing up to HD would be essential, I don't want loads of DVD's laying around.

I just checked the true image backup and it didn't actually create an image, just backed up the data...and gave me a message that I would need to re-install any applications after restoring the disk...which kind of misses the whole point really.

I can't remember who said they did this...possibly Except?

I also didn't know how Adobe apps would fair when doing this, would I need to de-activate/re-activate them when restoring an image or is the activation also restored?

SBowie
11-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Acronis can certainly do a full image, including OS and apps - not sure what it didn't do that for you, maybe some setting.

OnlineRender
11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
buy a cheap HD and just clone the whole thing , take the hard drive out , seal it in a bubble wrapped envolope and post it to yourself .....then your data is copy-right protected

creating a perfect img of your machine can be a nightmare .you may have to re-install stuff which as you said defeats the purpose .
there is one touch backup external HD that can do the job aswell .

Goodluck

probiner
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
You can make incremental images after doing a major one.

Cheers

biliousfrog
11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I'll have another look at Acronis and see what I might be doing wrong. I know that they do a distributed solution for setting up a bunch of computers with the same hardware from a single image, that might be a better solution. I've contacted them to see what they recommend.

For data backups I'm currently using Genie Backup Manager, have done for a few years. It copies all of my projects to an external HD twice a day and then backs up to my RAID 5+1 NAS, at certain points throughout the day I can have my current projects on 6 hard drives - (2-RAID0 on workstation, 1-external HD, 3-RAID5).

SBowie
11-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll have another look at Acronis and see what I might be doing wrong.I haven't used it lately, but I switched from Ghost to Acronis years ago specifically because it did a nice job of producing restore disks that I later used successfully both to restore and to move the whole shebang (i.e., OS, apps and data) to new, larger hard drives.

biliousfrog
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I haven't used it lately, but I switched from Ghost to Acronis years ago specifically because it did a nice job of producing restore disks that I later used successfully both to restore and to move the whole shebang (i.e., OS, apps and data) to new, larger hard drives.

I used the demo of migrate easy to upgrade my girlfriends hard drive, it did a great job of that. I think that I might have worked it out, I'll give it another try tomorrow.

warrenwc
11-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Windows 7 does image backups.:)

biliousfrog
11-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Windows 7 does image backups.:)

yes it does! http://www.intowindows.com/using-windows-7-image-backup-tool/

warrenwc
11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
You're welcome!
Vista only made this available in Ultimate, but everyone with Win 7 Home Premium or better gets image backups now.

biliousfrog
11-12-2009, 02:54 AM
I've used Win7's backup tool, it seems to do the trick quite nicely. The fun part is planning ahead so that I can have relevant restore points. So far I've got a clean install with essential drivers, VNC and Windows set up how I like, another with all my Adobe apps, firefox, thunderbird, quicktime, Kaspersky and a few other utilities and drivers, then I'll do another with the 3d apps such as Lightwave and plugins. I'm not planning any major software upgrades over the next 12 months but I know that LW 9.6.1 is in beta so i would be good to install that without any other versions when it's finished.

-EsHrA-
11-12-2009, 03:44 AM
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/DriveImage-XML/DriveImageXML.html

mlon

probiner
11-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Looks very nice mlon, do you use it?

-EsHrA-
11-12-2009, 06:45 AM
probiner,

i've used it some time ago without probs.
so i can recommend it plus its free.

mlon