PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on a Mac

toshgaal
11-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Can someone tell me what is the earliest version of lightwave that can be installed on a Mac? I am using version 8.5. I also have windows xp running parallel. Would it be best to install it on the windows side?

Thanks,
toshgaal

BeeVee
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
The earliest is 6.5, but that depends on what OS you are running on your Mac. 9.3 onwards work the best since that's when the Universal Binary version was released.

B

toshgaal
11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I tried to install it on the Mac side and the pc side and it does not recognize the hardware lock. When I plug it into the usb, a window pops up saying the dongle is not plugged in. Lightwave will launch, but in discovery mode. I had to upgrade the serial port dongle to a usb and it works on my existing system that lightwave has been running on. The OS is 10.5 on the mac and xp on the pc side. I also have a new license key.
Any ideas?

tribbles
11-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Parallels might not be able to forward the dongle onto the PC side of it; Bootcamp would have better luck.

What version are you trying?

toshgaal
11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Mac G5 OSX is 10.5.8, with bootcamp installed. Lightwave version 8

BeeVee
11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Do you have a new license.key for the Windows version too?

B

toshgaal
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
yes. I am using the same new license key that I got for my existing xp machine.

CGI Addict
11-10-2009, 03:12 PM
LW 5.6 for Mac came out in '98. That was the first version available on the Mac. I bought into back then for the Mac. Here is a link to LW history:

http://www.lightwiki.com/LightWave_History

archijam
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Parallels might not be able to forward the dongle onto the PC side of it; Bootcamp would have better luck.

What version are you trying?

I haven't had any troubles, with Parallels or Bootcamp.

But you have to choose - the dongle can only be seen by one OS at a time. However, this is not a big problem for the way that LW calls the dongle (only on startup).

toshgaal
11-10-2009, 03:29 PM
I get a message when I plug the dongle into the usb before Lightwave is even started up. It says new hardware found and it wants to look for software.

tribbles
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Did you install the dongle drivers?

tribbles
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I haven't had any troubles, with Parallels or Bootcamp.

But you have to choose - the dongle can only be seen by one OS at a time. However, this is not a big problem for the way that LW calls the dongle (only on startup).

I've not tried LW under Parallels (and I don't have Bootcamp) - it was just a thought as to why it may not have worked.

(I've stuck with using a Mac where possible; there's only one program I'll use Parallels for [except parallels itself], and that's Xara Xtreme).

dwburman
11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
You have Windows running under bootcamp on a G5 mac? How? I thought you needed an Intel CPU to run windows.

toby
11-11-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm pretty sure it needs a different license.key for the different platforms -

toshgaal
11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I forgot to mention that I am new to Mac computers so I am not acustom to the lingo yet, so bare with me please. When you say "Boot Camp", is that just the Mac side of the computer?

I emailed newtek tech support because I got tired of waiting on the phone for someone to answer and they told me to download the latest dongle drivers but did not specify which one, for the Mac or pc. I downloaded both and the only one that I could get to install was the one for pc. The Mac drivers (the one I thought it was) would not let me write it to my drives for some reason. After installing the drivers on the pc side, I did not get the message "looking for software to install" anymore, but it is still running in discovery mode. I have a new license key and entered it in the license.key it still doesnt get out of discovery mode.

dwburman
11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
"Bootcamp" is what the Mac uses to dual boot into windows.

The dongle shows a different ID on the Mac and PC (The 64-bit version of Mac LW 10.6.1), and you need to use the license code that matches the ID. The XP key won't work for Mac LW 9.6.